New Course pending in Waco Texas!!!

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

New Course pending in Waco Texas!!!

Postby Texas Made » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Hey guys, just a heads up-
We have got the the go ahead from the city to produce a new course in Waco Texas!
This course will be at Riverbend Park near McLennan Community College...
So far its going to rival Cameron Park East with lots of tight wooded shots, water hazards, uphill and downhill shots, and a few 400' - 600' open fairways. The potential holes have been staked and measured, we are just waiting on the city to give us the green light to start clearing and pouring cement T boxes and securing baskets....I feel really good about being involved in the layout and design, this will be a nice challenging, and scenic course. I will keep you guys posted through the next few months on the progress.......Live to fly, fly to live-
Texas Made
"I dont know if I can sink this putt, theres a Bush in the way- Kind of like the US goverment"...

Texas Made
Tree Magnet

Postby S Brown » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:11 pm

Texas Made-

I believe I would be speaking for many when I say I am interested in the process. We are working here in Bluffton, SC (Near Hilton Head Island) to have some courses built.

There have been a few announcements that courses would be contained in parks presently being developed.

If you don't mind, walk me thorugh the process.
Anyone else with input? I have read the PDGA wewbsite stuff, but would love to hear about others experiences when it comes to succesfully bringing disc golf to a park near you.

Sorry to hijack the thread. Congratualtions and good luck!

A course on every corner :D !

Steve
S Brown
Noob

Postby Texas Made » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:28 pm

Hey Steve-

Yeah, I guess we got pretty lucky. The Parks and Rec department was going over budget when a friend of mine pitched the idea to city council memebers. The city is very willing, because if they go over there parks and rec budget, they get a higher budget the following year. Basicly, the city gave us a map saying you have this area here, and here to work with. We went out with my practice basket, stakes and survey tape...Also one of those little wheel dealies that measures feet like the highway department uses. We staked out what would be a rough layout of the the course, drew the holes in a sketchbook and submitted them to the city. We are currently awaiting approval so we can start to clear trees and dig t-boxes etc. It's in limbo right now, but hopefully after the Holidays we should be good to go...

Hope this helps a litlle.....
Holler if you need any help or have any questions...
"I dont know if I can sink this putt, theres a Bush in the way- Kind of like the US goverment"...

Texas Made
Tree Magnet

Return to General Discussion