What's your "money" putter?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

What's your "money" putter?

Postby BHW » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:17 pm

There have been a lot of putter threads, but I want to know which putter you grab when you are within 50ft and need to sink it. This has nothing to do with which putters made good drivers, approach shots, etc. What putter do you throw at chain and like the best?

My favorite used to be a Champion Klimo Aviar, but I threw it in a lake. I bought another one and it never felt the same. I've bounced from putter to putter for a while, still trying them out.
BHW
Tree Magnet

Postby some call me...tim? » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:46 pm

hahaha, that's almost a rhetorical question on this board. I imagine most people here will say they go for a Wizard, and I'm one of them. For the longest time the KC Aviar was my go-to putt/approach disc, but I broke down and decided to try the Wizard. It really is as good as everyone says, very similar in feel to the Aviar, but more stable. It holds just about every line perfectly, just keeps getting better the more you use it, and a lot harder to inadvertently flip than an Aviar.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby mothrows » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:01 pm

Challenger!
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

Postby swel304 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:55 pm

I dont think I have heard anyone say they tried a wizard and didnt like it. All putters are designed to do pretty much the same thing, straight. I think it has alot more to do with what one feels most confident with when It comes to 50ft in putting, but the wizard is just reliable all the way around. Its easier to have confidence from 50ft with a putter you could park with such accuracy at 200'.
Wizard-Buzz-PolarisLS-Valkyrie-Wraith-BlizzKatana

http://www.XTREMEairbrush.com
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby garublador » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:35 pm

swel304 wrote:I dont think I have heard anyone say they tried a wizard and didnt like it.

I've heard of people who didn't like the Wizard for putts, but they were people who needed something less inherently stable to jive with their putting style.

In an ideal world, I'd say the X-Putt'r was my go-to putter for everything inside 30', but since wind exists, I'll definitely go with the Wizard. The main reason I pick the Wizard over the Challenger or Aviar is the plastic. It's just better than D or DX.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Terrence » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:40 pm

I've been using the same blue Aviar Putt & Approach for nearly three years. It's all marred up from basket and chain hits, the stamp is nearly worn off, and it feels like money in my hand.

The first putter I bought was a Z Putt'r. That didn't work out and I've loved the Aviar since then.
DX Teebird - Star Teebird - Pro Wraith - 4X JK Pro Valkyrie - 150g ESP Flick - DGA Tsunami
1st Run Star Cro - 5 bar stamp DX Rocs - 2004 Champ Roc
3 DX Aviars - KC Pro Aviar
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby Rooster » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:47 am

Photon UV Challenger
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:51 pm

Wizard! :roll:
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby roadkill » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:04 pm

I was an 86 softie guy for 17 yrs. In calm conditions it suited my putting style better than anything else.

About two and a half years ago I switched to the wizard because it performs better in the wind and has great feel and holds a truer line for me than an aviar, magnet, omega, apx or any other putter out there. If wind never existed I would've stayed with the 86 but because wind does exist and plays a crucial part of putting and approaching is why I switched.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Frontman311 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:00 pm

One of those softer JK Aviar X's...coincidently it's also my money driver, but I keep trying to force myself to throw the firmer ones just 'cause I have a feeling they'll be easier to find.
Stay positive and love your life.
Frontman311
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:25 am

ive been carrying an 86 sofite for a short bit more to mess w/ casually, but hate putting with it, way too much float ;-), not bad for long jump putts although its tricky to grip compared to more contemporary shallower rimmed discs
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Re: What's your "money" putter?

Postby koronin » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:36 am

BHW wrote:My favorite used to be a Champion Klimo Aviar, but I threw it in a lake. I bought another one and it never felt the same. I've bounced from putter to putter for a while, still trying them out.

Mine is an X-out of that putter, 174gm and clear. Just a few flecks in the molding but otherwise throws fantastic and I like the X-out stamp on it. I'm pretty sure from about 25' in.
--

PDGA: 31525
Aces:
11/18/2006 - Burke Lake Park #5 (150 ch Leopard)
12/30/2006 - Pohick Virginia #17 (168 DX Stingray)
05/19/2007 - Burke Lake Park #1, Long (180 Ch Stingray)
koronin
Tree Magnet

Postby Texas Made » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:46 am

Oh the putters.....
It was the Aviar, but I never could control it in the wind.......the omega AP is my chioce for uphill putts.....But I keep on going to the Rhyno...I have three, one 170 Champion that I use for long putts, one 174 champion that I use for downhills, and a soft Pro Ryhno at 173 for everything inside of 25ft....The other two at that close of range tend to hit too hard and bounce out from time to time. They also like to take a roll every so often...The softie stays put though......Its alos good in the colder weather cause its nice and stiff in cold weather.
"I dont know if I can sink this putt, theres a Bush in the way- Kind of like the US goverment"...

Texas Made
Tree Magnet

Postby Mark56 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:56 am

I use a DX Wolf (180g) haha. Now I've never sunk a putt from 50ft but i've made some good shots with it.

I have a wizard but I can't throw it as well as I can that wolf.
Mark56
Noob

Postby K-Dog 19 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:47 pm

I don't know about you, but I use a wizard for all shots in that range. With it, I am not afraid of headwinds. Also It has just the right amount of glide to be a great for tailwind putter as well.
K-Dog 19
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: First X Avenger ever

Next

Return to General Discussion