Cold Weather Clothing

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Cold Weather Clothing

Postby gretagun » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:35 am

Hello,

This is my first post here, and wanted to say thanks for this great website and forum. I think everyday I pick up something new here, and that is great.

I have been playing this game casually for the last couple of years, but this summer I got pretty serious about it, and have basically become an addict. Well the weather is getting much colder, and I still want to get out on the weekends and throw. I live in IA, and the highs for this weekend are going to be in the low 30's or so. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on cold weather clothing for disc golf. I realize that I want to dress in layers, but I also want to have as much unrestricted movement as possible. I have some thermal wear, but I was thinking about picking up some moisture-wicking shirts to keep me dry. Any advice or experience on how you gear-up for the cold is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
gretagun
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Rancho Roc

Postby Eric O » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:46 am

Its been cold here the last week or so. I don't like wearing heavy top layers so I use a couple of the moisture wicking shirts you speak of. Doesn't really matter what as long as they are poly-something or other. Usually one long and one short sleeve. Something with a zip t-neck if it's especially cold. Throw a light windbreaker over the top to cut moisture and wind and I'm good. A warm low profile hat is also clutch.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Solty » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:52 am

personally, living in NE PA...we get some very cold days. I always keep a glove on my non-throwing hand....and a hand warmer in a pocket for my throwing hand. Beanies are recommened, but any ear protection is ideal. I always start off with a layer of thermal underwear.....however i know others that wear union suits. Then i usually go with a pair of poly wind/gym pants...then my pants, jeans, cargos, what have you. Upper body i wear a long sleeve teeshirt or two...and follow with a top layer of a performance fleece/hooded sweatshirt. I have gortex boots but i still wear a pair of thick wool socks to keep in the warmth. I'm sure some days i look like a fool, but i'm hardly ever cold.
Last edited by Solty on Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby garublador » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:19 am

I'll mostly just reiterate what the others have said, but a synthetic base layer is going to be the important part. Keeping dry will keep you warm. With a high of 30, you'll probably be better off with layers of clothes (shirts and sweatshirts) and perhaps a windbreaker than a heavy coat. A nice hat will make a big difference as well. They have those fleece neck warmer things you can buy, too if you face gets cold. The gloves and hand warmer are good ideas. You really want your throwing hand to stay warm all the time.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby The Clergyman » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:31 am

Even here in Canada I find that about two holes in I barely notice the cold anymore. There are three keys to extreme cold (and I mean really extreme - it might not be nearly this cold where you are).
First - a hat. That'll keep the heat in.
Second - Arm movement is essential, so be sure to have only one layer on your throwing arm and then your jacket. If you layer too much on your throwing arm it's like learning the game all over again. You NEED a fleece vest. It'll keep yout torso toasty and your arms free of bulk.
Third - I also recommend clear plastic glasses. I don't know what it's like there but I suspect that your coldness is accompanied with wind. Cold wind. Up here it brings so many tears to the eyes that it is near to impossible to see sometimes. Just goto someplace that sells construction gear and pick up some safety glasses for $3 and you'll have a huge advantage over those who don't. And you'll enjoy your game more.
Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.
~Dr.Seuss
The Clergyman
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z XL...or not

Postby gretagun » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:24 am

Excellent recomendations, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the suggestions!
gretagun
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Rancho Roc

Postby sleepy » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:15 am

Last year I did pretty much exactly what mikesolt recommended, but this year I'm going to try a pair of Under Armour top & bottoms. They're supposed to be some of the best long underwear out there, so hopefully that will allow me to lose a layer or two and increase mobility.

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby MR. WICK » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:24 am

Hot Chillis - They come in a can. You can get em at ski shops or some Dicks sporting goods stores. The best long underwear I have ever worn.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby Rooster » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:29 am

a muscle shirt, bike shorts and flip flops baby! good for 6in. of snow or less!

really i just wear a long sleeve shirt a hoodie and a light jacket over that. long underwear and jeans works for the bottoms for me. plus this layter of fat i have helps
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby domromer » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:41 am

A down vest, and a fleece or polypro long sleeve shirt, hat and gloves, jeans, and thermal under if it's windy.. I find I can play comfortably down to about 25f with that set-up
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby some call me...tim? » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:01 pm

sleepy wrote: Under Armour top & bottoms. They're supposed to be some of the best long underwear out there

Can't speak as to the quality of these, but I know they do a hell of a job with their marketing. I've seen so many ads in magazines and "subliminal endorsements" (i.e., characters in TV shows all wearing Under Armour gear, and such) that I'm a little leery of them. I'm sure that they work fine and all, but as a general principle, I try to stay away from companies that advertise so heavily. 99% of the time, the products cost more, not because they're higher quality, but b/c the company has to make up for the cost of their ads. Most of the time you can find something that does the same job, or better, for less. That's why "name brand" beer is so damn expensive compared to cheap beer--take a blind taste test of a big name like Bud or Miller, and some cheap stuff like Old Mil or PBR. Lots of people will actually like the cheap stuff better, b/c in fact the ingredients in the cheap stuff actually cost MORE. They just don't have all the advertising overhead.

Sorry to go off on a tangent here, just bored at work, and felt my duty to put out the message: Be Wary of Advertising Hype.

Anyway, long underwear is definitely good to have in winter rounds. :wink:
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:52 pm

Can't speak as to the quality of these, but I know they do a hell of a job with their marketing. I've seen so many ads in magazines and "subliminal endorsements" (i.e., characters in TV shows all wearing Under Armour gear, and such) that I'm a little leery of them.

heh... next time yer playin for tags you can tear off your jacket and shout "WE MUST PROTECT THIS HOUSE" every time you make a putt or park a drive. it would likely take 4 or 5 holes before you get punched in the nose.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby disc_golfing_fool » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:46 pm

I play in the Northeast and for winter DG I wear:

gortex shoes or shoes + seal skins (prefer goretex)

Fleece Pants

100% polyester long sleeve base layer or a double thick poly (best prices I've seen ever on both of these are at LL Bean, I just stocked up).

Tie-dye t-shirt. YEAH baby.

Mittens. Good ones.

Skullie cap.

Once I get moving I'm fine. Usually end up removing the skullie.

Love winter golf!

:D
~~~some rise, some fall, some climb to get to Terrapin~~~
~~peace.love.disc~~

OM
disc_golfing_fool
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby -Frank- » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:18 pm

timbuktwhom wrote:
sleepy wrote: Under Armour top & bottoms. They're supposed to be some of the best long underwear out there

Can't speak as to the quality of these, but I know they do a hell of a job with their marketing. I've seen so many ads in magazines and "subliminal endorsements" (i.e., characters in TV shows all wearing Under Armour gear, and such) that I'm a little leery of them. I'm sure that they work fine and all, but as a general principle, I try to stay away from companies that advertise so heavily. 99% of the time, the products cost more, not because they're higher quality, but b/c the company has to make up for the cost of their ads. Most of the time you can find something that does the same job, or better, for less. That's why "name brand" beer is so damn expensive compared to cheap beer--take a blind taste test of a big name like Bud or Miller, and some cheap stuff like Old Mil or PBR. Lots of people will actually like the cheap stuff better, b/c in fact the ingredients in the cheap stuff actually cost MORE. They just don't have all the advertising overhead.

Sorry to go off on a tangent here, just bored at work, and felt my duty to put out the message: Be Wary of Advertising Hype.

Anyway, long underwear is definitely good to have in winter rounds. :wink:

Believe me, UnderArmour is great. I've been using the same top for 4 years and it's as good as new. Lasted through many icy-cold baseball seasons for me.

For cold weather, I'll put on a t-shirt, UnderArmour, a hoodie, a beanie, two pairs of socks, and jeans, and I'm good to go. If it was snowing heavily or sleeting, I would consider putting on a windbreaker over this. This is my uniform for all cold weather stuff, including skiing. I need to get a pair of longjohns for under the jeans though, my legs have been getting kinda cold lately.
-Frank-
Noob

Postby Timko » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:50 pm

I have a pair of silk longjohns that are very nice; if you can pick up a pair, they would serve you well.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Next

Return to General Discussion