Cold Weather Clothing

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby AciDBatH666 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:26 am

So Underarmor really is that nice?
Ive got a 2 day tourney this weekend and we just got a cold front here in Louisiana. It dropped from low 60s to the 30s overnight, and its sticking with us for a few days.

I might run by Academy and pick up a couple of pieces of Underarmor then.
I've never really been interested in em because it was always pricey, and its never really cold down here. But we've got some pretty chilly winds right now and I'm figuring out what Im gonna need for this weekend since it's one of the colder tourneys Ive been to.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby Solty » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:31 am

I have some underamour cool gear that i wore this summer. I really helps keep you cool. I always where those skullcaps in the summer for two reasons...1...i sweat pretty bad....and 2...loosing my hair causes concern to prevent sunburn on my head.

I haven't looked into their heat gear...however i do know nike has thei own line of an 'under amour' alternative...that you can get @ champs/foot locker and you can get UA and nike @ Dick's...

m
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:38 am

not to mention wanting to look like a gangsta that or you have a pair of tighty whities on your head... :lol:
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby some call me...tim? » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:59 am

AciDBatH666 wrote:So Underarmor really is that nice?
Ive got a 2 day tourney this weekend and we just got a cold front here in Louisiana. It dropped from low 60s to the 30s overnight, and its sticking with us for a few days.

I might run by Academy and pick up a couple of pieces of Underarmor then.
I've never really been interested in em because it was always pricey, and its never really cold down here. But we've got some pretty chilly winds right now and I'm figuring out what Im gonna need for this weekend since it's one of the colder tourneys Ive been to.

Apparently it is pretty nice stuff, but I'm sure cheaper stuff would suit you just as well. Just make sure you get some sort of poly-pro or some synthetic blend (not cotton). Only thing that kinda sucks is that this time of year, it'll be hard to find thermals on sale. I got some a while ago...I think they were Columbia, and they did fine for me except they were the wrong size. :?
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby deaddisc » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:53 am

The nike line of underarmor isnt any cheaper, at least not in MA. Got an underarmor sweatshirt and the nike one was the exact same price. Only difference was literally a small design on the left shoulder of the nike version vs. the Under armor design on the chest.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby koronin » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:04 am

I usually wear a pair of thermals, with a t-shirt under a light shirt and a Flannel Hoodie outside with a good hat. I wear gloves, but not when you're throwing :)

I usually play alone or with one other and we move pretty quickly, after 6-7 holes we're warmed up well.

I haven't played in weather thats below freezing yet, so we'll see how that goes. I'm playing in my first tourney tomorrow called 'The Pohick Winter Fling-a-thing' and it's a tier-C PDGA event. Weather looks to be in the low 40's so that's pretty sweet for this time of year.
--

PDGA: 31525
Aces:
11/18/2006 - Burke Lake Park #5 (150 ch Leopard)
12/30/2006 - Pohick Virginia #17 (168 DX Stingray)
05/19/2007 - Burke Lake Park #1, Long (180 Ch Stingray)
koronin
Tree Magnet

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:33 am

The thing about under armor is that they have different products for different purposes: Theres heat gear, cool gear, loose gear, and who knows what else.

I used the cool one for extreme heat in texas ( I mean extreme, pushing 100 in the shade), and it worked great. The only thing was that I prefer a slightly looser fitting garmet. So I looked at the loose gear, but the guy told me that it was casual wear, not to keep you cool like the heat gear.

I will say this, if the heat gear works at keeping you warm, like the cool gear keeps you cool, it would be worse the higher prices.

I even purchased some under armor sandals that have something like screen on the bottom, and they are great when it's hot.

Sorry if I jacked the thread was trying to give input on underarmor; its pricey, but I like it.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Terrence » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:49 am

Wait a minute... I have an Underarmor heatgear t-shirt that I wore all summer at work to keep me COOL, and it did it's job perfectly. I've also been wearing it to keep me WARM for DG leagues, and it works the same.
DX Teebird - Star Teebird - Pro Wraith - 4X JK Pro Valkyrie - 150g ESP Flick - DGA Tsunami
1st Run Star Cro - 5 bar stamp DX Rocs - 2004 Champ Roc
3 DX Aviars - KC Pro Aviar
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby sleepy » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:19 pm

I guess I should've mentioned this orignially, but I've used the generic polypropelene thermals in the past, and am now switching to Under Armour. The Under Armour just felt a bit thicker and had a better texture when compared to my generic polypro's.

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby roadkill » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:46 pm

While I do own two underarmour pieces, I think it's ungodly expensive and more about being in style than actually worth the obscene mark up. I'm sure the quality is there but you're paying three times the price to have their symbol on it.

In the winter I place a priority on keeping my head,neck, hands and feet warm. So that means a hat that covers the ears,a turtleneck, fleece, windblocking vest. Duofold or hot chilly's thermal underwear, sweat pants, windbreaker pants. Heavy socks and insulated footwear for the dogs and of course gloves or mittens for the hands. Handwarmers are fantastic to keep in pockets and hold onto between throws. Blizzard conditions call for ski goggles.

Having said all that, my discs remain unthrown til March when it's a balmy 45. I work outside so I deal with the elements daily, but work helps pay the rent and disc golf generally steals the rent money.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby AciDBatH666 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:00 pm

Well i went on my lunchbreak and got a couple of shirts.
Went to Academy, had a TON of UnderArmor stuff, but i just cant justify paying 49 bucks for some of that stuff.. Found a couple of better looking Adidas things that I thought looked better than the UA stuff..
I did buy an UnderArmor polo shirt. Ive been lookin for a nice stylish collared shirt for playin tourneys just to look a little more professional. And haven't really found any DG brand collared shirts that I liked.

Got some OFF! too, cuz the mosquitoes around the gulf down here dont seem to be supressed even with the cold weather.
I looked at some gloves but didnt find anything i really liked, So im just stickin to some old soccer gloves ive had for ages. I saw some of the Wide Receiver Football gloves, looked nice, but 15-30 bucks wasnt what I wanted to spend on gloves. They were more for grip. But i dont plan on throwing with a glove on.. Thats just asking for griplock..... All i need is a few handwarmers. Gonna get that later today.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Postby roadkill » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:59 pm

Yo acid, you live in Louisianna what do you know about cold weather? Mosquitos in December? The last of ours died out the first week of October.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby AciDBatH666 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:48 pm

Hey down here 30 is cold.
We complain when its cold, and laugh when ppl complain about humidity.
Nearly 100% humidity 70% of the year......Its Amazon heat y0.

ANd for the mosquitoes, they're everywhere. Usually the cold supresses em. When it rains pretty bad around here, its breeding weather for em. And we got rain yesterday.
Ppl BATHE in mosquito spray here.

Most of us take precautions and are used to it, but it does mess with your game. You'll be setting up a putt, concentrating on what part of the chains your gonna hit, all while swaying em away from your face. Then in midputt, a few of em will get within a few feet from your eyes and you'll focus on them for that split second and you throw a stupid 10 footer away.

BAD BADDDDDDDDD
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Postby domromer » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:53 pm

when did clothing get so complicated and technical?
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby BHW » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:38 am

I've picked up some UnderArmor gear from TJMaxx at really discounted prices. I have their cold weather stuff, and paid about $11-14 each item at TJMaxx....instead of $50 from the sporting goods stores.
BHW
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion