"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Re: disc golf kids

Postby death by hyzer » Tue May 04, 2010 9:55 pm

i didn't read a single post in this thread, but if i ever have kids and they refuse to play i will sell them to science.
Magnet-Buzzz-Drone-Teebird-Destroyer-Firebird
death by hyzer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Innova Dragon

Postby Yehosha » Tue May 04, 2010 11:23 pm

I've been taking my daughter out when I go disc golfing since she was one. She's 3 1/2 now and absolutely loves disc golf. She has her own discs that she likes to carry in her own bag. She's still too little to play with me, but she does like to throw any disc she can get her hands on, even though her form is some funky version of the chicken wing or something. It's actually pretty funny how mad and stubborn she gets when I try and show her the right way to throw a disc. She HAS to do it her way.

Katana, Doss Surge, Z Surge SS, Avenger SS, Stalker, Buzzz, Ion
Yehosha
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby disc junkie » Mon May 23, 2011 12:58 pm

Thread Revival.

My 4 month old Brayden. Ive been taking him to the course since he was about 1 month. He goes to the course with me about 3-5 times a week (In his Jeep Stroller). Looking forward to when he can start walking and throwing with me.

When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby John Rock » Mon May 23, 2011 2:57 pm

My boy has been a golfer since the first few minutes of his life. I was able to bring a dyed "Baby Rock" mini into the delivery room and it is in almost all of those pics. I got him pDGA #26754 not long after the arrival date. He attended the first Texas Women's Championships and saw all the action from his stroller. He is 6 yo now and throws pretty good either FH or BH. We've got several acres of yard with several baskets so he gets lots of practice time. Only problem is all the other sports that look like fun also have equipment scattered around the yard so he is always changing what he's throwing, kicking, hitting, etc...
John Rock
Noob

Favorite Disc: 86 mold softie

Postby krusen » Wed May 25, 2011 3:51 pm

Great pics guys.
Our twin boys just turned 6 months. They've been strolled through the course several times so far. I have not given them any minis to chew on, but that will change tonight when we get home.
I can't wait til they get old enough to walk along with.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby krusen » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:45 pm

Update to previous: Wyatt threw a mini 15 ft!!

...down the stairs :wink:
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby lsf21 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:26 am

Stuff like this makes me rethink my decision to not have kids. Im only 23 so who knows, that could change.
lsf21
Tree Magnet

Postby Peot » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:16 am

lsf21 wrote:Stuff like this makes me rethink my decision to not have kids. Im only 23 so who knows, that could change.

Comeonson.jpg
Peot
Tree Magnet

Postby ashley » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:08 am

My 2 year old loves to putt with me in the back yard. Of course he always moves to a few feet away so he can make it. My 12 year old has a bag full of drivers and mids, but generally only comes to the field with me to practice. She is very stubborn and gets frustrated when it doesn't go as far as she wants(don't know where she gets it from)

She came with me to the course the other day and I had her approaching from my drives, that seemed to help. My 10 year old doesn't show much interest at all. I try to not push any of them to do it, but my oldest does seem to be getting more into it. She tried to pick up a 150 valkyrie at the store the other day, but I told her we won't be buying her any drivers until she starts playing more consistently(don't worry I have plenty of chic discs for her)
ashley
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: valkyrie

Postby JR » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:58 am

Good approach. i hope your oldest daughter has a putter :-) I always recommend thin putters for ladies and children for easier grip. The usual suspects are Innova XD and Latitude 64 Spike. Having an easier grip from a thinner disc removes some stress from putting and makes for an easier, more relaxed and more enjoyable experience. And a less strained arm so you can play more or more often and not hurt so easily.

A 150 Leopard is touchier but has way less power requirement than the 150 Valk.

Kids are good at imitation so if you can get someone good to throw some example shots and look at your throws your children should be off to a good start. And who doesn't want more distance now? :-D You can also spy great players on video. Slow motion makes things easier to see in some parts of the form so i recommend going to Youtube and checking out each video many times over on the channel mfranssila. Some of the videos on the channel lcgm8 too have slo mo footage.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby bcr123psu » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:21 am

My daughter is going to be 2 in October and she's really starting to get into minis and lately she's been dropping them into the mini basket (instead of cautiously placing them in there). I've been taking her on the course with me in a jogging stroller since she was 6 months old and she's always been a happy camper. She also likes to pick up the putts that I miss from around my practice basket and drop them in...or run away with them. I can't wait to get her playing for really real.
bcr123psu
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: The one in my brakes

Postby JHern » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:59 am

It would be great if disc manufacturers started to think about making discs that fly well for small hands. It's great to get kids involved early, but the rims and weights are simply not good for them until they're teenagers. Something for pre-teen years would definitely help.

Spread the idea, and maybe it'll catch!
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby BLURR » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:00 pm

My son is going to play in his first tourney tomorrow afternoon/evening. He's only 7 and rather small for his age, but he said he wants to go and play in one. So, we have been practicing with his 149g Lat64 Diamon and his 160g Organic Wizard all of this week. I will try to get a pic or video of him tomorrow and post it up in here. You'll can critique his throwing style :lol:
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Dookville » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:47 pm

My daughter 10, played in her first two tournaments last week. The second one was a 2 round 36 hole job, she did well, but was a little beat up and sloppy on the last 9 holes.

She actually got me started on disc golf. I played a few summers back in the late 80's, but it never caught on with me. She went through the Innova Edge program at school last November and kinda caught the bug. We bought some discs and went out to the local to play a few holes. The few holes turned into 18, which turned into 6 days straight. 200+ rounds and 10 touneys later i have lost 50 pounds and I am as addictaded as I've ever been about anything. Love that kid, she want to go to the Am Worlds next year.
"JimW wrote:
Every time I've ever tried to implement any of the advice from on here to get more distance on my drives it has ended up wrecking my game completely for a while.
Dookville
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PAIN

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion