Does this happen to you?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Does this happen to you?

Postby Amateur » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:09 am

Hole 13 is pretty wide open and 430 feet away. Almost any line is open. There's one tree about 30 feet in front of the basket.

Day 1. Max D drive is $ goes 380ish right in the path of the tree to the basket. Approach around the tree, drop in 3.

Day 2. Max D drive gets turned over and ends up 200 feet off target. Approach gets close, putt for 3.

Day 3. Shank drive. Second drive lands on good side of tree. 30 foot putt for 3.

Day 4. Max D drive goes 380ish on the good side of the tree. Run at chains, hit pole. Drop in 3.

I haven't taken a 4 on this hole in a month. I haven't ever birdied this hole. As soon as any hole is past 400 it kills any chance I have at a consistent deuce. As long as it's under 800 I have a strong chance of a 3. I'm just frustrated that I can't ever drop a deuce on 13. I need a DG therapist! :lol:
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby Solty » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:59 am

have a hole @ a local course.....i am able to get within 60 feet of the basket but can never can the putt. more trees than you described, but same issues.
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby garublador » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:58 am

I think holes like this show two things:

1) How not to design a hole. Going for a 2 doesn't pose any risk and it only takes one decent throw to get a 3.

2) Disc selection is important. This may not seem obvious, but if you imagine a hole like this, but with thick brush on either side of the fairway, then you'll see what I mean. A hole like that would mean that an errant drive would almost guarantee a bogie, but anyting from an OK to a great drive would give you a par. When you come to a hole like that it's easier to see why you'd pick something like a Teebird where you may only be able to throw it 330'-350' but your chances for a bad throw wold be much lower (i.e. you're almost guaranteed a par) over something longer where your chances of a bad throw are higher, but your chances of a birdie aren't any better (i.e. a chance for a bogie, but still a very slim chance at a birdie).
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Solty » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:04 am

mikesolt wrote:have a hole @ a local course.....i am able to get within 60 feet of the basket but can never can the putt. more trees than you described, but same issues.

its 420ft....with the first 325 as an uphill grade......so it takes a good huck to get up the slope......i've only ever seen 2 dueces on the hole...both in doubles and the dueces came from long upshots that just happened to go in. I've heard of one guy throwing a roller right to the basket....but he's a pro from delaware.

(begin laff)sigh....maybe the hype of 50 extra feet with the inferno will get me there(end laff)
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Aaron_D » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:48 am

be glad you have a solid upshot game / can can 30 footers every time / can usually drive 380. If you shank the drive and have a terribel midrange game = bog. If you nail the drive and cant put = bog or worse.

I could hang with players that could drive 380 back when I could only hit 300' because of my upshot game. I remember watching something on the ball golf channel a while back that showed 10 pros and 10 ams drives which were all fairly close to one another. Then they showed the 10 pros upshots and 10 am upshots...needless to say ALL the pros were grouped in a tight circle around the hole, while the ams upshots often left them with an impossible put. Putting is very important, but if you can land your upshots 5' from the pin you can still be a terrible putter and par out.
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Amateur » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:44 am

This course is a championship course. Womens worlds was held here this year. In the footage on discgolftv.com where Valarie Jenkins and the other chick play the last hole, this is this hole. The whole course is pretty brutal. A hole like this one is a relief.

Valarie's drive ended up around where my day 1 drive went. I think she canned the putt.
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby MDR_3000 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:45 am

I know what hole you're talking about.

It's just one of those tough duece/easy 3 holes. That's a hole I usually pick up a stroke people when I play down there.
MDR_3000
I Throw Faaar

Re: Does this happen to you?

Postby sleepy » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:31 am

Amateur wrote:As soon as any hole is past 400 it kills any chance I have at a consistent deuce.

Yep...that about sums it up for me! :( :wink:

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Return to General Discussion