Utah course reviews?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Utah course reviews?

Postby Teemosaabi » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:01 am

I've only been playing for about 3 months now, and I think I've discovered my my newest addiction.... We've got some pretty fun courses out here in my area, but I'm possibly moving to the Ogden/Salt Lake area this Summer... I've checked out their courses online, and they sound pretty cool, but has anyone here actually played them?
Teemosaabi
Noob

Postby sleepy » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:12 am

The company I work for has a plant in Ogden, and I've only been there once. I looked a bit for courses in the area, and only found one actually in Ogden...which was on an old Air Force base, I think. There are a few of the ski resorts that have courses on them in the summer, Snowbasin being the closest, but I didn't bother going to play because it was winter, and I had some snowboarding to attend to. :D

The way I see it, if you move to Ogden and don't ski/snowboard...you're probably going to be pretty bored for much of the year. :|

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Teemosaabi » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:40 am

I read about a course up @ Powder Basin... there's an $8 Gondola ride fee to the first hole, but after that, I guess it's supposed to be a pretty nice course... we'll see I guess... I'll be back there to visit before I move, so I've got some time to figure it all out...

...As for skiing/snowboarding, I've tried it once and have never felt so much pain or been so tired in all my life... but I may be moving there to work for an outdoor recreation company, so that could all change... As for the boredom, I'm guessing Ogden couldn't be more isolated than Coeur d'Alene, right?

Thanks for the input Sleepy....
Teemosaabi
Noob

Postby ryangwillim » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:22 pm

Mt Solitude has a mountain course that opens up during the summer. It would be pretty difficult for a beginner, but maybe by then you'll be good enough to play it. It is an exceptionally challenging course.
ryangwillim
Noob

Postby sleepy » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:21 pm

Teemosaabi wrote:As for skiing/snowboarding, I've tried it once and have never felt so much pain or been so tired in all my life...

I recommend you take a lesson. It helps immensely to have someone there to tell you why you're falling. :wink: After you get the hang of snowboarding, you'll be hooked. I skiied for 7 years, and I'd never go back. Besides, the powder gets so deep in Utah it (almost) never hurts to fall. I was literally falling head over heels and laughing the whole time. It was the best snowboarding conditions of my life.

Teemosaabi wrote:As for the boredom, I'm guessing Ogden couldn't be more isolated than Coeur d'Alene, right?

I wish I could guarantee that. :| Ogden is pretty small, and it's in Utah; which is probably greater than 80% Mormon. Not saying anyting against them in particular, but I've heard it's a pretty exclusive group...meaning that if you aren't Mormon, good luck dating a Mormon boy, hanging out w/ Mormon kids, etc. But that could always be proven wrong...I certainly can't speak for every Mormon person out there. :wink:

Best of luck in your move!

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby cmlasley » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:58 pm

I happen to have lived in Provo for a few years (and am there for Christmas right now), and can tell you that the Provo Bicentennial and Rock Canyon courses are pretty decent. I plan to play both of those this week so maybe I will update this early next week. I have also played Creekside in SLC, and it is pretty good. Saratoga Springs is a pitch and putt, and I am going to play Dry Creek in Lehi this week as well. I will report back.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby cmlasley » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:59 pm

I happen to have lived in Provo for a few years (and am there for Christmas right now), and can tell you that the Provo Bicentennial and Rock Canyon courses are pretty decent. I plan to play both of those this week so maybe I will update this early next week. I have also played Creekside in SLC, and it is pretty good. Saratoga Springs is a pitch and putt, and I am going to play Dry Creek in Lehi this week as well. I will report back.

I realize that all of these would be quite a drive from Ogden (Creekside not so much), but if you end up in SLC instead of Ogden, all of these are easily accessible.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Postby cmlasley » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:25 am

Well, I don't know if I will get out to play after all this week, after I wrote here we got 18 inches of snow over the weekend.
Morgan Lasley
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Teemosaabi » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:54 am

Say it ain't snow... um, I mean, so...
Sucks you may not get out to play.... I played in the snow the other day and it wasn't half bad, but it wasn't 18" either... that could get expensive... right now it's about a 30 minute drive to the nearest course.... from the house I'm staying at... (about 15 min from work) so I'm used to the commute... driving from Ogden into SLC or the surrounding wouldn't be anything I haven't gotten used to doing out here in BFI.... Best of luck to you in getting out on the course though...
Teemosaabi
Noob

Postby sleepy » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:58 am

One of the tricks people around here use when playing in snow is to duct tape a length of present-wrapping ribbon to the bottom-center of the flight plate. That way, when the disc lands, the ribbon will be sticking out on top of the snow. I hear that blue is the easiest color to see, and having a length of ribbon longer than the snow is deep is key. :wink:

sleepy

sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Return to General Discussion