Throwing machine

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Throwing machine

Postby Bruce » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:17 am

Blake

Did you see this post on DISCussion by Tomas (Latitude 64)?

We are also working with our "Iron Byron". (lets call it Big Bertha ) A machine that can throw discs accurate and far. We still need to make some adjustments but the machine is today good for at least 125 meters (movies are coming later).

Thought this would be something you'd be very interested in!
Bruce
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Dx Roc

Postby some call me...tim? » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:54 pm

Though it never got past the "wouldn't it be cool if..." stage in my head, I thought about making something like this before. I thought of something that'd basically be like one of those skeet launchers, but with more control (I think the launchers are made to send the skeets in more or less random flights). If you could control variables like the angle, force, and fulcrum points, you could make an objective flight ratings guide. The one Blake's mapped out on gggt is certainly impressive, but it's still something of a subjective guide. With a controlled mechanism, you could dial in the flight characteristics with amazing detail and accuracy. I'm sure that's the impetus behind the Lat 64 guys' idea, and I'll trust those crafty Swedes to come up with something nifty. :)
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Eric O » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:03 pm

I think everyone wants a machine like this to exist.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:07 pm

The one Blake's mapped out on gggt is certainly impressive, but it's still something of a subjective guide.

actually, i intended it to be a relative guide.

if disc a is more high speed stable than disc b, you can't tell which one will fly straight for a given player, but you can say that disc is always more high speed stable. e.g. if disc b is flippy, disc a will be less flippy regardless of power level and throwing style
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to General Discussion