Distance issues - beginner

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Distance issues - beginner

Postby drinkysr » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:58 am

OK, I just took up disc golf this year and I'm having fun. Last week I played at Brandywine creek State Park in Delaware and hooked up with some college guys who have been playing since highschool. And holy crap they throw so much farther than me it's a little embarassing.

They gave me some tips and they helped (mostly about snap) - and I noticed their near-sprint run up as opposed to my slow methodical one.

But yesterday playing in Norwalk CT I was having some real distance problem - can't reach 280 foot holes, etc. So after the round was over I found a nice spot with trees lining the right side and a small rise about 250 feet away to collect the discs.

I throw everything I have - 2 XLs, a Valk, an Orc, Beast, Leopard, Stingray, only one of which reaches the hill (a couple hit the trees on the right near the hill and probably would have landed on or over it).

Then I took out my Aviar (yes Aviar) - I knew I could not just arm it that far - so I went to my 360 run up that I used to use to throw-off (or "pull") when playing Ultimate. Now, I know the run-up itself gave me a 15-foot bonus but I did clear the hill with it.

I threw my stinking putter 15 feet further than any other disc in my bag.
What the hell?

Does anyone actually use a 360 run up for DG?

In previous expiriments with it I have had no luck - rapid climbs to 60 feet then knifing into the ground.

So I know I have distance potential - but how do I get at it?
drinkysr
Noob

Postby krusen » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:06 am

The 360 run up is considered to be too inaccurate for DG.

Read the artices on the main page over and over with practice sessions in between. Things will start to click. 280 isn't bad for a beginner. Try to whip the disc instead of throwing it. Smooth motions and timing are most critical.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby presidio hills » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:50 am

you're not the first one to post a story like this.

drivers are much more nose angle sensitive than putters... meaning if you throw your putter nose up it will still perform well. drivers must be thrown nose down or else they will stall MUCH earlier in flight. there's a lot of reasons you could be throwing nose up, but it's probably most due to not get your weight over your front foot enough during the hit.

i'd also stop using the orc and beast for now... they take a lot of power in order to perform properly. at this point in your game you will probably try to put to much ooomph into them in order to make them fly correctly... but really more power comes from better form which you will have to be a patient and develop. when you hit 300' with the XLs, use the same form for your orc and beast... and they'll fly better (but more overstable than an XL, and probably not as far). you really shouldn't use an orc or beast till you're breaking 350'.

the XLs are probably going to be the easiest disc for you to get your biggest and most consistent results with. you should also continue to practice driving with your putters and midranges. drivers require the correct nose angle but hide other parts of your form (clean release, torque etc...). putters require a clean torque free release but hide nose angles more. midranges are in the middle but more like putters. in the end you HAVE to throw all of them with the correct nose angle, torque free etc... to have the best results.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Re: Distance issues - beginner

Postby garublador » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:05 am

drinkysr wrote:In previous expiriments with it I have had no luck - rapid climbs to 60 feet then knifing into the ground.

It sounds like you have nose angle issues, but that's perfectly normal for a beginner, especally one who has an Ultimate background. Most disc golf discs, especally drivers, require the nose of the disc to be angled downward with respect to the trajectory of the disc.

I'd highly recommend the grip article and the Rick Bays article to get you started.

For me, the major things I do to keep the nose down are:

1. Make sure the disc is above the seam in my hand and in line with my forearm (from the grip article)

2. Make sure I don't start my pull until after I plant my foot (using an x-step)

3. Make sure my weight is forward at the release.

4. Follow through strong.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby black udder » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:18 am

ditto to all above.

I'd also add that you should stick with your methodical approach. Don't go into a sprint.

Barry Schultz has a video over on www.discgolftv.com where he talks about accuracy and how it's better to have a slow and smooth approach over a fast and jerky approach.

Many people can stand on the tee and throw without any approach at all and throw over 300'.

I'd look in the the forum index for Blake's practice routines. Follow those until they're complete and see how your throws are after that. It's some great advice and will give you a lot of information about how each portion of your form changes your accuracy or distance.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby drinkysr » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:37 am

Thanks, all.

Some nice practical stuff there.

I know I have nose-angle problems and will work on them.

Until then, anyone up for an Aviar-only round?
drinkysr
Noob

Postby presidio hills » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:41 am

drinkysr wrote:Until then, anyone up for an Aviar-only round?

anytime! it's a fun way to play... usually a little hard to talk my friends into it, though.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby drinkysr » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:48 pm

I tried some drives over the weekend after re-reading some of the distance form articles.

I even bought one of those wheel-type measuring thingies to acutally measure the shots.

Results were disappointing - my throws were about 265 backhand and 280 to 285 forehand. And I can still put the aviar right next to the drivers with a 360 run-up.

Principally I was concentrating on the hit, stopping my wrist at neutral while still following through. I think there were some flight-line improvements, especially with the Leopard and XL, and DX Valk too.

Now this was at the end of a 36-hole day, so maybe I was tired but still. I think if I can throw an Aviar 285 I should be able to get these drivers out to 350 once I "get it".
drinkysr
Noob

Postby black udder » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:19 pm

yeah, if they're going about the same distance, you're not generating the force necessary for a driver. Snap, spin, power, etc. Once you get it all together you should be able to throw the drivers further than your putters.

I always expected a big distance difference, but it may not be that much if you can't throw big distance. For me, I can throw a putter/midrange around 300', but my max D with a driver is only around 340' or 350'.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Return to General Discussion