Peter pleads, Ziggy launches & JR lectures on the Brits

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Peter's desire to be important

Postby jsun3thousand » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:26 am

JR wrote:Unfortunately i don't remember where i read the list of years in existence/number of wars study result. I don't know how the study was made with what kind of limits etc. It didn't list that many top countries and an African country may have been in there. Not that many African countries have been around that long in their current form. Egypt was such a power house in ancient times that those who dared to attack Egypt had to grow large themselves first and that took time so i don't think that Egyptian large amount of wars is concentrated in those times. In the last century they had a lot of conflict. Egypt in the last century is of course very different from ancient times and i don't know how that is accounted for in that study.

Like every car is leading in their own class (often being the only one in their class har har) imposing artificial or not that well thought out limits should vary the results so who knows... One thing is certain. If you look at the list of countries fought against and the years of peace vs war in the US in the last century up to today the picture ain't pretty.

The UK was a melting pot prior to colonization of the Americas and they certainly had conflicts. I heard an interesting theory about revolutions. It states that most nations that have had revolutions that succeeded stuck quickly into the mindset of the era of the revolution and have stayed there mostly until today.

So UK first. Stuffy? You bet.

US then. Still taking away from others and often glorifying pillage, plunder and military invasion as well as stick ups and bank robberies. To a point the popular means of get rich quick schemes have changed over times. I eagerly await the time when the only gangsta activity is rapping :-) Long wait :-)

How about the so called mother of modern democracy France? State committed torture as a matter of course... Selling weapons to almost the same stand up guys as the US. Like Saddam Hussein. Including selling more weapons after the first Gulf war that the French participated in. Prior to receiving all of the payments for the destroyed weapons no less... I saw a TV program that stated that there are at least 30 000 slaves in Paris alone. And that it is the largest amount per capita in any European city.

Scooot_er wrote:And disc golfers aren't always the smartest bunch.
jsun3thousand
wants to be the president of the don zimmer memorial charity foundation of america inc

Favorite Disc: #63

Postby ziggy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:06 am

JR wrote:How about the so called mother of modern democracy France?

For some reason, this makes me think of Tocqueville.
ziggy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby ziggy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:08 am

Roy wrote:Whats going on here?

Quiet! We are studying history so that we may further improve the PDGA Board of Directors strategy.

All kiddin' aside - major thread drift.

This is what's going on
ziggy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:51 pm

jsun i knew you'd love that revolution theory. It was from a British history professor whose name escapes me eat that :-) And are you able to point out earlier examples of concentration camps than the ones the British set up during the Boer war? Cough.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Peter pleads, Ziggy launches & JR lectures on the Brits

Postby JR » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:11 am

I think the guy i mentioned is him:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niall_Ferguson
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Peter pleads, Ziggy launches & JR lectures on the Brits

Postby Roy » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:57 am

JR wrote:I think the guy i mentioned is him:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niall_Ferguson

I just got "pity of war" written by this guy. It sounds pretty interesting.

That's all, carry on...
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Re: Peter's pitch

Postby Smyith » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:51 pm

JHern wrote:90% is diverted to Open Pros? Is that true? If so, this is a serious blow to the PDGA's image!

Damn, and I was just about to finally join the PDGA! Guess I'll shelve that idea until they come clean about all of this (and censoring Peter Shive is NOT a good way of dealing with it). I'm not going to be an Open Pro (and I'm already 37)...no use in diverting my money to an organization that won't be supporting programs that I'm interested in seeing funded, and that ignores the vast majority of those who pay for it all to begin with.

I personally think 90% of PDGA funds should be spent on new course development and growth of the sport at the grass roots. Seriously, let's continue to grow the sport, then the fame and fortune for open pros will follow later, when it is ready. This fruit isn't ripe, so don't pick it! These guys are way too impatient! The sport is not yet at the level where they can make as much money as they'd like. Instead, by sucking the blood out of other important efforts to feed their lust for fame and fortune, these guys will slow progress and might end up destroying the very organization they depend upon to better shepherd the sport into the future.

Don't get me wrong, I love to compete in tournaments now. But, for now there are a lot of fun tournaments I can play where I don't need a PDGA membership. And if these policies continue to head in the direction Peter thinks they are headed, then I can foresee a lot more tournaments in the future that go away from the PDGA. They don't own the sport, so they can't tell us not to do that. We still hold all the power in our hands.

JHern wrote:In other words, what Peter describes is that the PDGA is becoming a Ponzi scheme. Those at the top extract funds from those coming in at the bottom, and this is unsustainable as well as disrespectful to the organization and the sport.

This is just like how corporate boards across the US have leached away all value from their institutions for their own personal gains, and left in ruins the once important roles they used to play in our society. This is the same corrosive US organizational culture that has destroyed almost every sector of our country, from education, to gov't, to finance and banking, to manufacturing, etc., etc..

a fricking men.
the more and more i read, i find myself more and more curious how i can get going running non-sanctioned tourns. The main hurdle i foresee is the insurance. we used to have lots of unsanctioned in my area. now there is very very little and they are the definition of poorly run. i would be curious if those who have run unsanctioned tourns would be willing to share the costs that go into that.
OrionLF-Vulcan-Destroyer-Leopard-Ontario-Rancho-Rhyno-Aviar
***Always looking for 1.1 Sirius Orion LFs (SOLF)-will pay $$$ or trade***
Need Air/Water filters or HVAC service/supply?
ApprovedComfort.com - Servicing the Greater Chicagoland Area and more
AllKindsofFilters.com - Use code 'discgolf' to receive a special discount
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Previous

Return to General Discussion