What division should I play next week?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

What division should I play next week?

Postby Frontman311 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:58 pm

I have been playing for three years I guess, only dedicated myself to it since last spring (other years I've been at school so I wouldn't play for months at a time). I don't know really how far I can throw so I'll just say no farther than 350'. Putting is getting good, pretty confident that I can run anything inside 50' (no, I don't make these often at all, but I can run it w/o f*cking up).

Tournament experience: AM2 in July '05, came in like 15th out of 25. This summer I played AM1 on my two home courses and came in 5th out of 14 and like 17th out of 25 (In the first tournament I would have won by six strokes in AM2 and placed like 7th in the other tournament).

Why do I ask? Just joined the PDGA! No rating, never played with a # before. w00t! Playing Hudson Mills (MI) next Sunday, love the course; I know it just as well as the next person...thoughts?
Stay positive and love your life.
Frontman311
Tree Magnet

Re: What division should I play next week?

Postby Fritz » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:12 pm

Frontman311 wrote:I have been playing for three years I guess, only dedicated myself to it since last spring (other years I've been at school so I wouldn't play for months at a time). I don't know really how far I can throw so I'll just say no farther than 350'. Putting is getting good, pretty confident that I can run anything inside 50' (no, I don't make these often at all, but I can run it w/o f*cking up).

Tournament experience: AM2 in July '05, came in like 15th out of 25. This summer I played AM1 on my two home courses and came in 5th out of 14 and like 17th out of 25 (In the first tournament I would have won by six strokes in AM2 and placed like 7th in the other tournament).

Why do I ask? Just joined the PDGA! No rating, never played with a # before. w00t! Playing Hudson Mills (MI) next Sunday, love the course; I know it just as well as the next person...thoughts?

Advanced. I wish I woulda skipped from rec to advanced and bypassed all int.
It will make you better, and you'll learn more.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Frontman311 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:21 pm

Yeah, my main goal those two rounds this summer was to get on the lead card so I could play with some of MI's best AMs, who coincidently all went pro at the end of the year.
Frontman311
Tree Magnet

Re: What division should I play next week?

Postby plastic_fondler » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:08 am

Home course....play AM1 for sure if not Open. Playing AM2 will only give you an excuss to lay back. Play AM1 or Open will keep you on your toes. Just remember to have fun and execute like you know you can.

good luck!
plastic_fondler
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: firebird

Postby black udder » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:17 pm

I'll be one of the few people recommending you play with folks in the same skill range - i.e. AM2 or AM1. I'd look at playing folks who score around the same as you.

While I do see the benefit in playing with folks better than you, I don't see the benefit of their company if you really can't (or shouldn't) ask and test their advice. Mingle before/after the tournament and see if there are any local open players you can play with at a later time. Then, you can pick their brain during a round and maybe test out some of their advice. You shouldn't be testing shots during a tournament.

Plus, if you play with folks in your skill range, if you do well, you might win. If you know you're not going to win, where is the incentive to focus and play your best? Although we should all be having fun, a tournament is just for fun. It's a tournament. Winners get stuff. If you play in AM and play well, perhaps you can grab some new discs to try out, too.

It sounds like AM1 is probably your best competition. If you play well, you could scoot up to the top group. I believe you'll find plenty of good players in divisions below Open. Besides, once you go Open, you really can't go back (I guess you can, but then you have to explain why). Why rush it? The division will be there when you're ready to compete with them.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby mothrows » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:20 pm

I agree
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

next week

Postby ADiscand3Plates » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:27 pm

A couple ideas for you to ponder.

First. Go back to PDGA.com and look at the past scores for this tournament. Where do you fit in? Unless this is a first time tourney, there should be old scores from this and other tournaments on this course.

Second. Answer this question. Would you rather be first card AM2 or last card AM1. The choice really isn't that black-and-white. But, some people will play better one way vs the other. Can you handle the pressure of being first, or would you rather be out classed (to try and learn).

Only you can answer the question. For me, I could be facing the same issue in our local club. The Adv Master divison may become too small and I may have to decide about playing bottom half of AM1 or top card in AM2. Right now, I can't see myself playing top card AM2 when most of the people I play with are in AM1.

If you not enjoying yourself, you're in the wrong place.
ADiscand3Plates
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: JLS

Re: next week

Postby Frontman311 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:53 am

ADiscand3Plates wrote:If you not enjoying yourself, you're in the wrong place.

The best advice that I had let slip out of view. Thanks,
Frontman311
Tree Magnet

Postby superq » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:35 pm

Play open...

I did not read anything on this thread except the initial question, My advise would not be different. I always advise people to play the highest division. The play is on another level.
superq
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FOCUS

Postby Weebl » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:30 pm

Is this frowned upon by any people in open?
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby dscglfgeo » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:25 am

If your going to play in open or AM1 you better know the rules... there is nothing worse than playing with someone that doesn't follow basic courtesy rules.
PDGA# 23933
Live life to the fullest you never know when it's going to end.
dscglfgeo
Noob

Postby deaddisc » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:33 pm

Weebl wrote:Is this frowned upon by any people in open?

How can they frown upon the donation? As long as you know the rules and play by them then I cant see why they would like to take your money. I think it sounds like you should play AM1, good competition and gives you a chance to do something in the field except for finish dfl. Also it can be frustrating to watch really good players make great shots while you are struggling.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Return to General Discussion