distance

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

distance

Postby short drive » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:50 pm

I've played for 10 years and my average distance is 264 to 280 feet
everybody keeps telling i should be throwing 350 to 400
i use a power grip and my disc speed is 50 P.M.H.
my tech skills suck all i know is to pull the disc back far as i can
and swing as fast as i can does anybody know anything that will help
short drive
Noob

Postby Aaron_D » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:57 pm

youve found a good place to starting looking for info. Use the articles on the main page and the back posts on the forums. There are literally hundreds of pages of info on this site regarding increasing distance.
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby gretagun » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:09 pm

Haven't been playing quite as long, but I'm in the similar situation as you. My advice is to read as much as you can on the DiscGolfReview site, and spend some time reading through the technique forums on this. Within in the last couple months I've pretty much abandoned my old throwing techniques and have been starting from scratch to get a good form developed.

I've basically based my form off the Rick Bay's Driving Form & Technique article. I also eliminated my X-Step for awhile, and worked on smoothing my throw out, pulling the disc across my chest, follow through, grip etc. When I find a problem I'm having, I read the Repair Articles, check the forums, and then post a question if I'm still having problems. I'm amazed how willing people are to help you out on this site, and receive great replies from folks that have been where we are out and have made it to the next plateau or so.
There is also some great discussion on disc selection. I learned very soon that I was throwing discs I'm not ready for, and changed my bag a little bit. I know I have taken some steps backwards in hope of gaining a few more steps forward. I'm not throwing where I want to be yet, but I have seen more improvement in the last month or so than I have in the last couple of years.
gretagun
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Rancho Roc

Postby black udder » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:14 pm

From recent discussions, 350-400 may/may not be expected. However, I think getting past 300' is very attainable with the information in Blake's articles (and in fairly quick order).

You might want to post what discs you're throwing for feedback too.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Return to General Discussion