Raw fingers ?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Raw fingers ?

Postby wannabediscstar » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:26 am

I am still new to the sport and I am tring to prevent breeding bad habits that will later need correcting . The question is is how much grip ? I try not to white knuckle my drives and am still questing for snap . I am a big guy working hands on labor , and at times I think I may be over gripping . I wieght about 300lbs and am not as fluid on my feet as I once was , but due to great direction from this site I have gps confirmed 300 ft drives ( 260 avg.) If I am over gripping will this hurt my distance ? It has been hard for me to try to mentally relax my grip , and if I over think it I go nose up and stall at about 220 ft . When I practice drives my fingers become raw ( 3 finger power grip ) in paticular my index finger . At times you can see the abrasions individually . And in cold weather it plain out hurts . I keep it loose until I think I am ready to tighten it ( right before take off ) by my understanding of what I read . The better I get at stepping and pull through it seems I grab harder , I guess its when I am tensing up on pull through . Didn't know if I was bieng a wuss or if it sounded wrong . Thanks .
wannabediscstar
Noob

Postby rehder » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:14 am

If you have read the grip article on the main page and are following the guidelines there your grip should be fine. If the abbrassions shows on let say the side of your outermost knuckle this is related to having the disc sliding out, instead of ripping out of your hand. For me it was because I wasnt getting any snap on the disc. To change that I focused on keeping the disc closer to my body and trying to accelerate it through the hit. Since I have gotten snap, (avg. line drive went from about 280 to 330-360) most of the wear has shifted to my indexfingerpad, though its mostly on the right side of the fingerpad(not to be confused with right side of the finger), which tells me I might have some gripissues. Oh an one other thing, if I have been out practicing and playing a round Im sure that my indexfinger feels sore and mildly sprained the next day.
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby black udder » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:17 am

I'm in a similar boat, I don't think you're gripping the disc wrong, I think you just need to build up the callouses on your index finger pad. This past year, I'd only been letting the disc rip out on throws I needed to go over about 320', but when I did, I would certainly feel the throw on my finger. I, too, threw one on a cold day. One. That was enough of that.

I know a lot of folks play in cold weather and don't know if it's just part of what you have to take, if their fingers are calloused already or what. I do believe that if you're feeling that though, that it's a sign of things being done correctly. It means you're letting the disc rip out instead of releasing it.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Blake_T » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:47 am

it isn't possible to "overgrip" a drive, it is only possible to tense up too much to prevent acceleration.

what you are having with your fingers is probably due to slipping.

if you HAVE to use a 3-finger power grip over a 4-finger, then something is wrong with the disc orientation.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby black udder » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:31 am

Blake, what are you saying is due to slipping?

Are we in agreement that the disc ripping out of your hand should leave your index finger first (4 finger power grip) and that the act of that action can be painful on a cold day or a field day?
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Luckyg71 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:37 am

I use some of the cloth tape on my index finger tip. I have a callous but it still hurts when I dont wear the tape. I get it around the upper right part of the index finger.
The road goes on forever and the party never ends
Luckyg71
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:43 am

it is usually painful on a cold day since the disc is stiffer and more apt to slip during the rip.

slide friction means a solid rip isn't happening.

i have extremely dry hands and i tape a few joints at all times or the skin will crack due to dryness (yes, even during 100 degrees 99% humidity).

friction pain = slip.
Blake_T

Postby Glock23 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:00 am

I'm there with you blake. After playing a round last week, my hands are still bloody. Tape and band-aids don't seem to help me though. It sucks.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby Blake_T » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:09 am

tape before the blood or tape after the blood?

heh

i won't even throw unless i'm taped up or i know i'll crack the skin in a joint. once it's cracked, it'll be painful for a few weeks even if taped.
Blake_T

Postby Glock23 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:13 am

Even before it doesn't seem to matter. Any type of friction just tears my hands apart. Had to give up guitar and a lot of other stuff because my skin can't handle it. The winter cold and dryness aren't helping either. I end up just taking a file and removing as much skin as I can take and then using super glue to seal what I can. I get it on all my finger tips and the joints, and like you said once it is cracked it takes forever to heal. So much fun. Stupid genetics. What kind of tape are you using that still gives you a decent grip on the disc?
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:20 am

johnson & johnson water proof...

duct tape is an option but i tend to split that after about 10 holes.
Blake_T

Postby Glock23 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:26 am

I've used the johnson n johnson. It didn't seem to hold well for me. Never thought to try duct tape. It does seem like it would give a good grip though. I can imagine all the skin it would pull off when I removed it. What about a receiver glove or something? Is that legal, and could you still get snap?
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:35 am

i've seen people use franklin batting gloves, and those are legal.
Blake_T

Postby Eric O » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:49 am

I've tried to throw with taped fingers several times but I always end up tearing it off cause it feels funny to grip the disc with something in between. I went through periods where I was rubbing my rip finger raw from the disc sliding instead of ripping. Blistered the shit out of it at times. Kept throwing. Blood and pus on the disc rim. Eventually the skin got tougher and my technique slowly gets better so the disc doesn't slip out as much.

An odd thing that I found is that my hands only suffer from dryness and cracking when disc golfing in rainy or wet weather. Maybe it's the constant change in moisture levels picking up wet discs, drying them off, etc. It doesn't cause pain but sometimes the skin near my fingertips actually splits open somewhere. Not necessarily on disc contact points most of the time, but my rip callouos did just crack last night after all day of throwing in soggy weather.

I figure the best way to deal with it (or anything) is to go out today and play some more disc golf!
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:35 pm

wet makes it worse as well.

when i used to play in oregon i had problems with that... skin getting pruned and taking off layers of skin due to slipping and playing in 45 degree misty weather.
Blake_T

Next

Return to General Discussion