Stingray molds

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Stingray molds

Postby K-Dog 19 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:14 pm

I got a Star Ontario Stingray from my Brother awile ago. I just compared it to a newer run Dx one and they are different. The top is domier on the Dx one and there is a slope on the Rim of the Dx one as well. Then my Brother tells me that the Ontario one turn less for him than his Dx one.

Could anyone tell me if they had any experiances with these molds.

P.S I am thinking of getting a Dx one if this is the case. If I do get a new one, who wants my Star one?
Once upon a time a Monster ran into a mob of Avengers, they attacked him with their pet Leopard, the Buzzz was all around the city that even the Wizards had to use ear plugs. :D
K-Dog 19
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: First X Avenger ever

Postby Blake_T » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:27 pm

there are two diff molds, ontario and san marino. some of the newer san marino molds do not have any city on them.

the champ stingrays were all san marino

the early runs of star stingrays were all ontario... newer runs are san marino, but you will likely find both kinds with the san marino being much sharper.

the dx will be found in both molds. the san marino are more common, but you will find a bunch of ontarios as well.

i won't try and summarize the differences because i haven't thrown either enough to come to any conclusion other than never really finding this disc very useful.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby black udder » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:49 pm

I'll elaborate a little on Blake's "never found them useful" comment. Part from him and part from my own observations.

A stingray, stratus, glide will all turn right when thrown rhbh. They are all understable.

I believe part of Blake's issue with that is if you throw an understable disc, you are typically looking for a shot to go right. With that in mind, if you throw an understable disc wrong, it will dive into the ground. You are following my (now old) axiom of throwing flat and letting the disc do what it's supposed to do.

Blake's preference, and one I'm going to work with this year, is force a disc to do what you want. That way, you know it's going to do it. With the right turn need. If you take a disc and force it to go right, you know:

a) It will go right and
b) It will probably come back to flat/stable at the end - depending on how stable of a disc you threw.

That said. Now, you have one disc that serves two purposes instead of two discs.

In addition, if you throw that one disc in several situations, you're more likely to learn all that disc can/will do for you and be more apt to throw it correctly (the way you need to) more often. With the single/special use discs, your usage may be so sparse that your percentages of throwing it how it has to be thrown go down.

My best example is one of our local courses from the shorts. You can use a glide on probably 5 of 18 holes. However, you can throw a putter on about 16 of 18. If I learn how to throw my putter on all those holes, I should increase my proficiency at a faster rate than if I choose to throw a glide on 5, a coyote on 6, etc.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Weebl » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:32 pm

San Marino = Original Stingray mold.
Ontario = Roc top Stingray bottom (from heresay of people who have talked to Dave D.)

Ontario is less stable, San Marino is more stable.

Star is more stable than DX.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:00 am

Blake's preference, and one I'm going to work with this year, is force a disc to do what you want. That way, you know it's going to do it. With the right turn need. If you take a disc and force it to go right, you know:

a) It will go right and
b) It will probably come back to flat/stable at the end - depending on how stable of a disc you threw.

That said. Now, you have one disc that serves two purposes instead of two discs.

i also believe that a beat version of a disc that was once stable is infinitely more predictable than a disc that is out of the box understable.

my thrashed rocs are way easier to turn consistently, and much harder to burn out to the right. same thing w/ thrashed max weight dx valks.

i do also believe in being able to force a disc to turn as well.

too many molds = too much disc dependence. imagine playing your home course with 3 "loaner" discs (your choice). if your score drops off more than 2 strokes for every 9 holes... i would not say that is a good thing.
Blake_T

Postby redspexxx » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:56 am

i use an x stratus for turnover shots. the only problem is now that its been in my bag for a year, i have to throw it with hyzer to get it to turn over the way i want. someone told me a dx classic roc would be a better choice for the shots i use this disc for, but would a stingray work just as well? on a side note: how do you know when its time to turn a disc into a roller disc?
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby black udder » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:23 am

based on Blake's comments above, the recommendation would be to use a disc other than stratus or stingray as they're both out of the box understable. The advice would be to get a disc, such as a roc, and force it to turnover. If you have another stable disc, force that to turnover. It should be more predictable and last longer than the understable discs.

I believe you turn a disc to a roller when the disc won't fly without rolling or diving into the ground.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:36 am

a new roc is quite hard to turn, even when forced.

a super beat roc can be turned, or a newer one thrown anhyzer.

discs really don't fly new for very long (even in champ/z plastic).

there's plenty of molds more consistent than the stingray/stratus that can be forced into a turn when new: spider, shark, hawk, d buzzz, etc.

i find beat rocs to be sweet for it because once they get to the point of turning, it takes like 2 years to make them "too understable."
Blake_T

Postby K-Dog 19 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:19 pm

Is there another mold besides San Marino and Ontario? Because the one my Brother has says Rancho Cucamonga. His is domy if you did,'t read that part and mine is flat.
Once upon a time a Monster ran into a mob of Avengers, they attacked him with their pet Leopard, the Buzzz was all around the city that even the Wizards had to use ear plugs. :D
K-Dog 19
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:42 pm

the rancho i believe is a re-engraved san marino
Blake_T

Postby K-Dog 19 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:06 pm

Thanks Blake for that explanation.

Just threw my Star Stingray, I am not a very powerful thrower. It hardly turned even though it has a nic or so. My Brothr is a high power thrower and he said that the Ontario Stingray didn't turn much even for him and he said that his newer Dx one turns more.

P.S. I want it to Turn as much as possible.

P.P.S Since I won't be needing my star one... would any one here like it?
( :lol: )
K-Dog 19
Tree Magnet

Postby PRES 10 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:17 pm

K-Dog 19 wrote:My Brothr is a high power thrower and he said that the Ontario Stingray didn't turn much even for him and he said that his newer Dx one turns more.

I'm sure that a 150 dx stingray will turn worlds more than a max weight star stingray, no matter what mold it is.

But the star one K-Dog-19 has wasn't very understable at all, I would compare it to a little bit more flippy z buzzz.

PS. I'm K-Dog 19's brother for those of you that were wondering.
Ion|Vector|Leopard|Firebird|Valkyrie|Katana
Soon the MVP Axis!
PRES 10
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: ION

Postby Amateur » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:04 am

Hang on to the Star and get a new DX. When your power grows the Star will take the DX's place and the DX will be a roller.
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby Weebl » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:51 am

I threw a 176 blue (new DX, the shiny stuff with metallic foil hotstamps) with a red hotstamp, this thing was a tank. It was almost as stable as a new domey Roc. It was San Marino.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Return to General Discussion