Out of town tournaments

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Out of town tournaments

Postby black udder » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:13 pm

I've always wondered how folks deal with out of town tournaments. By out of town, I'm talking 90+ minutes away.

It seems that just about all of them start at 8-9am in the morning. I figure, 90 minute drive, get up at 6:30, eat breakfast, 6:00, few minutes for personal emergencies and whatnot, 5:30ish... That's awful early to be up, and how solid are you going to perform (if you're not a morning person). Me, being a might stiff in the early hours, I certainly don't play as well as I do later in the day when my body is warmed up fully.

I've heard about folks crashing at other DG'ers pads or getting a hotel.

What's the consensus?
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:03 am

I like the camping options, or crash in the car option (low funds) but on my 3 nighter to Emporia (8 hours) I stayed at a fellow DGrs place.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby krusen » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:38 pm

I live about 90 min from Minneapolis. Most of the sanctioned tournaments are at least that far from me. I played in 6 tourneys last year, and got up early to drive on all but one of them when I stayed at a friend's place. One factor is that I usually sleep better in my own bed than on somebody's couch. I'm not a morning person either, but it's much easier to wake up early to play DG than it is to go to work. I learned to make sure I have plenty of time to get there because the stress of being late can really mess you up on the first couple holes.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby black udder » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:24 pm

how do you warm up for DG getting up that early? I mean, I'm stiff for like 3 hours! ha.

I've gotten up early for one and just felt funky and out of sorts until lunch and the 2nd round began. I didn't play bad, but didn't play well either.

Of course, I just read where Barry Schulz said that playing DG and playing DG tournaments are two different things, so it might be a little of that as well.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:01 pm

i am not a morning person. i hate driving. i hate feeling late. i am severely addicted to caffine. i won't poop in public bathrooms.

i can function decently well on very little sleep (there is a time limit on how long).

i am one that relaxes the night before after getting prepared early (bag ready, accessories, etc.). watching movies helps clear the mind. i always prep early. if you are scraping to get ready in a hurry, you are more apt to forget stuff. if you are ready early, you are more apt to remember at the last minute something you may have forgotten.

i need about 3 hours after waking up to achieve "game face." in these tournaments, i prep for it. if it's 90 min away and 9:30am player meeting, i am generally up at 5:45. breakfast, shower, poop. stretching before the car ride. get to course by 8:30. warmup. make sure putting is "zoned."

prepare for your "crashes" and "bloats." if eating eggs always gives you the runs, avoid eggs. know how much hydration you need during the round, and how much you will need after the round... as well as how much is too much that will weigh you down. if you'll metabolize your carbs and sugar crash by noon, bring a granola bar. if you are a smoker, bring at least 4 packs of cigs.

a huge factor that helped me sustain better focus this year was swtching from gatorade/water to vault (i used to caffine crash hard at around the 16th hole of the first round and 8th hole of the second round).

i once lost my car keys 45 min before a tourney that was 90 mins away. my phone and wallet were in the trunk. found them 5 min before tee-off and got to throw 2 drives before the 2 min warning. took me 6 holes to settle down.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby some call me...tim? » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:17 pm

Blake_T wrote: i won't poop in public bathrooms.

Everybody watch your step on hole 12! :lol: :lol: :lol:
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:39 pm

What is vault?

I think someone mentioned it, but I traveled enough at one time that I had friends that would let me stay with them over night. A couch, floor, or garage is still better than a blanket on the ground.

Now that my gf travels with me we stay at hotels alot. But , my health has prevented much traveling.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby krusen » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:28 pm

black udder wrote:how do you warm up for DG getting up that early? I mean, I'm stiff for like 3 hours! ha.

I've gotten up early for one and just felt funky and out of sorts until lunch and the 2nd round began. I didn't play bad, but didn't play well either.

Of course, I just read where Barry Schulz said that playing DG and playing DG tournaments are two different things, so it might be a little of that as well.

Well, hopefully I get there in time to at least play a few holes with extra drives and putts. After that I figure a good stretch and calm thoughts are the best thing I can do. Maybe next year I should work in a short jog to warm up the muscles a bit more.

There is definitely a difference in any sport or past time once competition enters the picture. I'm probably nervous for most of the first round. Playing in pool league helps with this quite a bit actually.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Re: Out of town tournaments

Postby roadkill » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:31 pm

black udder wrote:I've always wondered how folks deal with out of town tournaments. By out of town, I'm talking 90+ minutes away.

It seems that just about all of them start at 8-9am in the morning. I figure, 90 minute drive, get up at 6:30, eat breakfast, 6:00, few minutes for personal emergencies and whatnot, 5:30ish... That's awful early to be up, and how solid are you going to perform (if you're not a morning person). Me, being a might stiff in the early hours, I certainly don't play as well as I do later in the day when my body is warmed up fully.

I've heard about folks crashing at other DG'ers pads or getting a hotel.

What's the consensus?

You must have a cushy job that allows you to sleep late.

For over ten years I had to wake up between 3:30 and 4 am during the week to make my hour commute and get to work between 5 and 5:30. Luckily I can now sleep in til 4:30 or even 5:30 if I blow off my morning workout.

Getting up at 5:00 to leave for a tourney 3 hours away isn't much different than getting up for work. Personally I don't require as much practice time at the course before tee off as most players. I'm very familiar with nearly all courses within a 3.5 hour drive and I try to keep the number of discs I carry in the 10-12 range to increase disc familiarity and reduce any indecision in what disc to throw. Basicly I putt for 20 minutes, stretch for 6-8 minutes throw some 200 foot approaches and 2-3 drives and I'm ready to rumble. Total at course prep time 30-35 minutes.

As far as performance goes, I'd fare better if tournaments were held late afternoon or early evening as that's when I'm most limber, relaxed and the time of day when my best rounds have been shot. The early morning dew is a roller killer and rollers are probably the best part of my game.

I only stay overnight if it's a two day tourney or if the drive is more than 4.5 hours. I don't do too much of either anymore as it really beats me up more now than it did 15 years ago. I've usually been a hotel guy, but if there's a decent camground with hot showers that's much more economical and if you have a nice group of golfers staying in the same campground it can be way more fun. On numerous occassions we've had team glow putting duels on portables til late at night. I've found these informal battles at the campground can be more memorable than the tournament itself.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby black udder » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:53 pm

Vault is an energy drink by coca cola. Some folks say it's basically Surge 2.0.

Supposed to be a citrus drink similar to mountain dew.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby black udder » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:56 pm

I can't say my job is cushy, but I won't deny that working at home is a real perk. I roll out of bed, walk downstairs and login to the computer and I'm at work.

On the downside, it means that it's that much easier to work late, get paged after hours, etc.

I've always put commute time above work, so I've never had an hour long commute as long as I've worked (over 20 years).
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby domromer » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:49 pm

save yourself a lot of trouble. Don't compete, stay and home, play only one course, and become the jedi master of that course., Sounds good in theory :wink:
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:24 am

domromer wrote:save yourself a lot of trouble. Don't compete, stay and home, play only one course, and become the jedi master of that course., Sounds good in theory :wink:

Sounds like ball golf where people dish out big money for a country club to play the same course for the rest of their life then brag about their handicap. Of course anyone that plays the same course over and over has a great handicap.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby superq » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:12 am

With few exceptions my best rounds on a course have been the first time I played it.... Something about playing a course blind keeps me interested in the course and the round.
superq
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FOCUS

Postby Bruce » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:41 am

superq wrote:With few exceptions my best rounds on a course have been the first time I played it.... Something about playing a course blind keeps me interested in the course and the round.

I've often found that at a tournament at least, my first round is the best, then I think I'm trying too hard to adjust or repeat my previous throws on each hole, which never seems to work.
Most courses I've got better at over time, but that might be more to do with playing most of the courses in the UK while a newbie!
Bruce
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Dx Roc

Next

Return to General Discussion