DG and old age

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

DG and old age

Postby domromer » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:28 pm

Will we all be playing dg when were old? I see a lot of old ball golfers, but not really any old dg's yet. I know part of the reason is that it's a new sport, but do you think a a backhand drive, is too hard a movement for a 70 year old? I know sidearm is easier, but I'm not about to re-learn my shot in preperation for old age.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby trogdor » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:34 pm

http://www.innovadiscs.com/team/Shive.html

I had the opportunity to watch him play and wow I learned what consistancy really means
Pred, Wraith, TeeBird, Eagle, Whippet, Cobra, Rhyno, Arrow
trogdor
Tree Magnet

Postby domromer » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:36 pm

cool
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:21 pm

I'm only in my 30s and already feeling the effects of old age. One thing I've been meaning to ask: does anyone have arthritis in their hands yet? Do I just keep taking Motrin and Alleve?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby domromer » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:33 pm

chiba

domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby Blake_T » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:09 pm

i developed arthritis in my hands after a car accident at the age of 21. my advice is to see a massage therapist that can work on trigger points in your hands and forearms as well as work w/ non-medications such as glucocamine and shark cartilage.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby black udder » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:48 pm

Arthritis is tough. I have minor in fingers, had major in hips and they're now metal.

Glucosamine helps some, so it's always worth a try. There's a bunch of info on how to treat arthritis, but no cure yet. Read up and see if anything works for you besides ibuprofin.

I've seen a few older guys on the course. Not many, but they're out there. You have to look at guys who were in their 40's when disc golf began, so not too many yet.

I hope to be playing awhile yet though.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Life Long Sport

Postby trogdor » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:06 pm

I saw some video of a "legends" player who was throwing mostly forehand rollers. I don't remember who it was, but I'm sure someone on here will know...

Anyway, he didn't seem to be putting much effort at all but was still enjoying himself.

My ultimate disc golf goal is to play in a tournament in the open Senior Grandmasters Division and place!
Pred, Wraith, TeeBird, Eagle, Whippet, Cobra, Rhyno, Arrow
trogdor
Tree Magnet

Postby Arm Of Despair » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:31 pm

There's a guy at my home course who is 67 and plays regularly. He says he's been playing about 2-3 years now, but he loves it. The only downside he's spoken of is that his shoulder is torn up after a weekend and he definitely can't play until the next week.
I'll be 53 in a couple weeks and there are a few more regular players around the same age, I'd say we're all addicted. I've only been playing since Spring, but hell yeah, I'd say the old-timers will be multiplying as time goes by.
Not sure domromer, about the comment you made about sidearm/backhand --- it seems all the same to me, you're giving it a vicious whip of doom (eloquent prose gotten from Weebl in an old post) every time you get up to bat no matter what your style. So whether the movement will be too hard or not is surely a matter of how good a shape one keeps theirself in as time grinds on.
Arm Of Despair
Noob

Postby domromer » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:33 pm

maybe it will be too much, I'll take up shuffle board, I hear it can pretty rowdy though!

domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby Arm Of Despair » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:44 pm

LOL, yep, good idea to have a backup plan ready. I'll go for Canasta to keep away from those rowdy shuffleboarders.
Arm Of Despair
Noob

Postby Jwt4412 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:46 pm

38 going on 50...

I long for the day that my score is lower than my age!!!
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby roadkill » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:12 pm

I think you will see an increase in older disc golfers after the sport has been around longer. The masters and grandmasters fields are way way bigger than they were just 15 years ago. I remember when our regional events typically had a masters field of 3-4 and now our B-tiers often have around 15-18 masters on average. Look at how many masters compete at the pro worlds compared to 15 yrs ago. (Incidently as of Jan 1 2007 I became elgible to compete in masters myself :roll: )

DG is a non-impact sport that can be played for life provided you are in decent health. I have personally known the reigning legends world champ Paul Fein for about 20 years and he plays about ten times the amount of rounds I do and for a guy in his 70's he ain't bad (hence the world champion title).

Meds that are effective in treating and/or relieving arthritis:

Glucosamine
MSM
Chondroitin (These first three are available in one tablet Triple-flex)
Sam-e
Omega 3 fatty acid ie. flax seed oil, fish oil, borage oil
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby jiwaburst » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:59 pm

We have this local guy, a retired judge, who comes out and plays fairly often. He's 70ish and often brings his wife, daughter, son-in law, their friends, grandkids, etc...

He also throws lots of forehand rollers, in fact I gave him the disc he throws most of the time after watching him throw and concluding he needed something more stable.

What's so cool is that it is a sport that grandparents and grandkids can do together
jiwaburst
Tree Magnet

Postby presidio hills » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:56 am

i got my dad hooked on DG about 2 years ago. he's 63. i'm trying to encourage him to play in a tourney someday soon. it's the perfect sport for him though, he loves hiking and walking around and he's really into throwing the discs and improving his form.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Next

Return to General Discussion