DG and old age

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Rob » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:09 am

roadkill wrote: Meds that are effective in treating and/or relieving arthritis:

Glucosamine
MSM
Chondroitin (These first three are available in one tablet Triple-flex)
Sam-e
Omega 3 fatty acid ie. flax seed oil, fish oil, borage oil

I have arthritis as well and excercise is good for it. Its actually funny, my left hand gets a bit stiff and achy while my right hand feels perfect. Thats because im always gripping the discs with my right hand and it helps. Ive also been on Nabumetone for a couple years and it works great.
Rob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby eg37167 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:13 am

I, too , live with Arthritis. I have RA, and a complex medical history that contributed to its early onset. I am on several drugs to control it and getting out to play some poles is good therapy, even on a day I play poorly, since I am out walking, stretching, flexing, and throwing.
eg37167
Tree Magnet

Re: DG and old age

Postby koronin » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:24 am

I started playing last july, 4 months after I turned 40. Feel great, have lots of fun and i hope it stays that way. My doctor says it's a great low impact areobic workout. I usually play about 10 rounds a weekend on the small pitch and putt course, a couple rounds less for the longer one.

domromer wrote:Will we all be playing dg when were old? I see a lot of old ball golfers, but not really any old dg's yet. I know part of the reason is that it's a new sport, but do you think a a backhand drive, is too hard a movement for a 70 year old? I know sidearm is easier, but I'm not about to re-learn my shot in preperation for old age.
--

PDGA: 31525
Aces:
11/18/2006 - Burke Lake Park #5 (150 ch Leopard)
12/30/2006 - Pohick Virginia #17 (168 DX Stingray)
05/19/2007 - Burke Lake Park #1, Long (180 Ch Stingray)
koronin
Tree Magnet

Re: DG and old age

Postby Weebl » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:26 am

koronin wrote:I started playing last july, 4 months after I turned 40. Feel great, have lots of fun and i hope it stays that way. My doctor says it's a great low impact areobic workout. I usually play about 10 rounds a weekend on the small pitch and putt course, a couple rounds less for the longer one.

domromer wrote:Will we all be playing dg when were old? I see a lot of old ball golfers, but not really any old dg's yet. I know part of the reason is that it's a new sport, but do you think a a backhand drive, is too hard a movement for a 70 year old? I know sidearm is easier, but I'm not about to re-learn my shot in preperation for old age.
On discgolftv.com , they have the 2006 Masters cup (3rd Steady Ed Memorial) video with a segment on Dr. Stancil Johnson, the recipient of the Steady Ed Memorial Award that year, and it shows footage of him playing against no other competitors in the Legends division. His backhand game is short range finesse only, he loves the whitler... He is the roller master, 198g-200g Jaguars only and uses the dart upside down putt with jaguars and a X2/Venom.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Rob » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:38 am

eg37167 wrote:I, too , live with Arthritis. I have RA, and a complex medical history that contributed to its early onset. I am on several drugs to control it and getting out to play some poles is good therapy, even on a day I play poorly, since I am out walking, stretching, flexing, and throwing.

I have RA as well. And exercise definately helps. Sometimes it seems when i dont get out to play for a day or two im a bit more achy then if ive been out playing the last few days.
Rob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby OldTyme » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:34 pm

One of my main disc golf partners is 64.

He's in great shape.......& has even beat me a few times : )

I hope to be still playing (or alive) at 64.
OldTyme
Tree Magnet

I long for the day that my score is lower than my age!!!

Postby Barbikes » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:38 pm

Hey JWT4412,
I beat you to it! My best score is lower than my age at a couple of local courses!
Don't worry there is a bright future for all you youngsters! I'm 55 and in the summer I usually play about six days a week. In the winter lack of daylight (Seattle needs a lighted course!) limits me to only 3 or 4 games a week because I work four tens. I usually only play one 18 hole game a day though. I also play catch with a coworker using a supernova 3 or 4 times a week for 15 minutes. 15 minutes doesn't sound like much but you end up throwing about 45 throws close to max distance plus running to catch your partners throws. It's REALLY a good workout when the wind is whippin!
I think the best disc golf advice from oldsters has been what our local "legend" Ralph Williamson (PDGA member #10, multiple time legend champion) told me. A couple of years ago I told him that I had recently discovered disc golf and was hooked. He said, "Well you know what you have to do then?"
I said, "What?"
He said, "Play every chance you get."
I think that is the best disc golf advice you will ever get and that is what I try to do!

PS: A couple of microbrews does wonders for arthritis pain!
Barbikes
Tree Magnet

Postby roadkill » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:20 pm

I can shoot lower than my age............ but then I decide to play the back nine :)
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:35 pm

roadkill wrote:I can shoot lower than my age............ but then I decide to play the back nine :)

I was about to say that at my home course my PR is lower than my age. . . but my home course is a 9 holer (PR is 19). . . it will be a good 20 years before I can come close to beating my age on a 18 holer
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Previous

Return to General Discussion