Good small cities for disc golf

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Good small cities for disc golf

Postby domromer » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:28 am

What are some nice small cities that have a good DG scene?

My criteria:

Population under 100k
More than 1 course
Maybe close to other nice attractions, good, hiking, fishing, out doorsy sort of stuff.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby garublador » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:42 am

Ames, IA seems like it would be good. Two decent courses (one used for Pro Worlds in '04, the other for AM) in town and ~45-50 minute drive from the Des Moines courses. ~50k population, near Saylorville Lake, Big Creek State Park, Ledges State Park, Seven Oaks Recreation area and I'm sure there are others.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby some call me...tim? » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:01 am

Best one I can think of off hand would be Santa Cruz, CA. Population ~55000, in an absolutely gorgeous area (Pacific Ocean on one side, mountains with redwood forests on the other), easy access to all that the SF Bay Area has to offer, and a very cool laid back attitude. Oh yeah, and it's got DeLaveaga. I think that's the only "real" DG course in actual city limits, but it's a hell of a course (I haven't had a chance to play it, but I've heard stories). I think you've got several other good courses within 45 min. drive though, Weebl could probably tell you more. The only real drawback I think, is that its pretty damn expensive there, and probably not the best job market. I would move there in a heartbeat though if I had a job and a place lined up there.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby garublador » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:16 am

garublador wrote:Ames, IA seems like it would be good. Two decent courses (one used for Pro Worlds in '04, the other for AM) in town and ~45-50 minute drive from the Des Moines courses. ~50k population, near Saylorville Lake, Big Creek State Park, Ledges State Park, Seven Oaks Recreation area and I'm sure there are others.

[trolling for Further]
Oh, and I forgot that the best university in the state is located there, as well.
[/trolling]

;)
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Timko » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:22 am

garublador wrote:
garublador wrote:Ames, IA seems like it would be good. Two decent courses (one used for Pro Worlds in '04, the other for AM) in town and ~45-50 minute drive from the Des Moines courses. ~50k population, near Saylorville Lake, Big Creek State Park, Ledges State Park, Seven Oaks Recreation area and I'm sure there are others.

[trolling for Furthur]
Oh, and I forgot that the best university in the state is located there, as well.
[/trolling]

;)

Haha. That's a funny joke. Well, over in Iowa City, we've got 2 old courses that are very well maintained found on Coralville lake (Sugar Bottom and Turkey Creek) plus the new championship Peninsula Park. If that isn't enough, Cedar Rapids is 25 miles away with 3 more very nice courses, and waterloo, home of a worlds in the 80's I think is 50 miles away. Plus, there are local 9 hole courses scattered all over Iowa. Personally, I'm amazed at the sheer number of courses in Iowa; it's one of the best states for disc golf in the country. Go Figure.

Oh, and while I go to Iowa, my alma mater will always be Arkansas. Pig Sooie. Go Razorbacks.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Timko » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:23 am

Another great "small" town (more like small city) is Tulsa, OK. Home of the 06 worlds, so there are some new courses, but plenty of old established ones that are maintained by a very active club.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby superq » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:26 am

Emporia Kansas

4 18 hole courses, college, 2 sponsored players (was 3 until Babbit moved)

the two courses in Jones park are both superbly excelent!!!
superq
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FOCUS

Postby domromer » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:47 am

Flagstaf, Arizona

4 Courses in town
2 mind blowing object courses 2 miles out of town
2 hours from Pheonix, playing in shorts and flip flops in January
6 hours from Rocky Point Mexico, no golf, but warm tropical water and good food.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby some call me...tim? » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:58 am

Oh, another place that comes to mind would be somewhere in North Carolina. I don't know of any towns in particular, but I know Charlotte and Raleigh are two really good towns for DG, and the state in general is great. I think I read somewhere that you have something like 90 courses within 3 hours of Charlotte. With those kind of stats, I'm sure there's gotta be a smaller town around with some courses.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby domromer » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:07 pm

Ive heard a lot of good things about NC, I'm going over to Wilmington this year, I'll be sure to check out the local courses.

domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby S Brown » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:41 pm

Augusta, Georgia! I am not sure of the population, but it is small.

The sweet, sunny, south with 6 courses within 30 minutes of downtown. Hot as hell in the summer time, but the golf is awesome. It gets nuts the second week in April, but other than that it is quiet.

The new PDGA hq, and the two new courses. Well worth the trip. Camping close by and the downtown Marriott has very affordable suites.

The makings of one hell of a road trip.

Steve
Bluffton, SC
S Brown
Noob

Postby Solty » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:15 pm

Allentown, Pennsylvania

7-8 courses within 1/2 hr...home of the 2005 Worlds. Major airport, right off PA Turnpike, and home of www.dorneypark.com and yea..just alot to do there!

m
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Jwt4412 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:29 pm

Springfield, IL - we have two courses and two on the way... oops - there is 110k of us - so I guess were aren't small enough...
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby Terrence » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:52 pm

Ludington, MI falls under all of Domromer's criteria.

Population ~8,500

DG Courses: 4.5

There are three 24-hole courses at one location, one 18-hole 36-tee course on some of the area school's cross country property, and a new 9 hole course set up on some camping grounds woods. Ludington is a real hotbed for DG on the west side of Michigan.

The Ludington state park is just a few miles north. Ludington has about 5 miles of undeveloped public Lake Michigan beach too.

If any of you DG guys get to go on vacation, stop by here.
DX Teebird - Star Teebird - Pro Wraith - 4X JK Pro Valkyrie - 150g ESP Flick - DGA Tsunami
1st Run Star Cro - 5 bar stamp DX Rocs - 2004 Champ Roc
3 DX Aviars - KC Pro Aviar
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby roadkill » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:10 pm

mikesolt wrote:Allentown, Pennsylvania

7-8 courses within 1/2 hr...home of the 2005 Worlds. Major airport, right off PA Turnpike, and home of www.dorneypark.com and yea..just alot to do there!

m

Mike,

I agree with your sentiment. Little Lehigh is amazing. Jordan Creek also fantastic and as you pointed out there are other attractions as well. If Domromer is strict on his criteria of <100,000 population A-town is inelgible. According to this http://allentown.areaconnect.com/statistics.htm it boasts a poulation of 106k.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Next

Return to General Discussion