Good small cities for disc golf

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby the invisible tree » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:44 pm

S Brown wrote:Augusta, Georgia! I am not sure of the population, but it is small.

Population about 200K. 3 very nice courses and 1 fun pitch & putt in the city. 1 championship calibre course, the Hippodrome, which is sadly only open for events. 4 planned championship calibre courses at the NDGC about a 20 min. drive from town 2 of which are nearly done. At least one and possibly 2 18 hole courses going in on the southside by the end of the year. There's also a 9 hole pitch and putt about 20 min. north of the city in Aiken, SC. The most clothing I've had to wear to stand the "winter" so far has been jeans and a t-shirt. It's a pretty good area for disc golf.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby roadkill » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:48 pm

I nominate Hanover, PA
http://www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/genInfo. ... ndex=14093

Codorus State Park in Hanover is an incredible gem for the outdoorsman and nature lover not to mention the disc golfer.

It features 3300 acres of beautiful landscapes, rolling hills and scenic vistas overlooking Lake Marburg. There is a boat marina, a very large swimming pool, many areas designated for camping, hiking and fishing. There are also horseback riding trails and seasonal hunting. ( http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/STATEPARKS/ ... dorus.aspx )

And of course there's 54 holes of the finest disc golf one could ever expect to experience. Par 3s, 4s and even some par 5s. Great course variety of both heavily wooded and wide open holes. Some dogleg, some wrap, some are beautiful downhill masterpieces while others make you throw uphill and navigate around obstacles. Codorus also boasts the only permanent mini-disc golf course in a state park. Nine stainless steel mini pole holes and nine teepads are laid out amongst pine trees. The mini-disc golf course was designed by 2005 mini-disc world champion Lincoln Morgan.

Hanover is probably most famous for being the snack food capitol of the world. There are many food manufacturers based here, the biggest being Hanover Foods which is a conglomerate of many companies that manufacter or process everything from frozen vegetables to tortilla chips, pretzels, cheese curls and salsa. Utz is a famous maker of potato chips and Snyders of Hanover is a reknowned pretzel manufacturer. Many of the various manufacturers of this town give free tours throughout the year.

If you're traveling from out of town and want to make a day trip to a big city with all the attractions, Baltimore is less than an hour away. And Baltimore is an amazing city to visit which could keep you busy for a week on its own. National Aquarium, Oriole Park at Camden Yards, Babe Ruth house, two legendary art museums, Little Italy, Lexington Market,fresh seafood, great restaurants and clubs and of course the whole Inner Harbor experience. Oh yeah they got some damn good disc golf courses too with Rockburn Branch, Druid Hill and Patapsco.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Barbikes » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:11 pm

Auburn, Washington. ------- 20 miles from Seattle, 15 miles from Tacoma. Population about 50,000. The White River DG course is on the outskirts of town and it's great! The biggest retail disc golf store (Mandos) in the Seattle area is right downtown. At least a dozen courses within an hours drive. Mt. Rainier (with all it's hiking, camping, and fishing oppurtunities) is an hours drive. I don't live in Auburn but if I wanted a central location for disc golfing in the Puget Sound (Seattle area) I think it would be the best.
Barbikes
Tree Magnet

Postby ryangwillim » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:08 am

Anyone said Bowling Green, KY yet?

50k ppl
7 courses.
ryangwillim
Noob

Postby TannerBoyle » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:19 pm

mikesolt wrote:Allentown, Pennsylvania

m

Aren't they closing all the factories down?
TannerBoyle
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Star Wraith

Postby Naomi » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:56 am

Yadkinville, NC population less than 3,000! Two courses (very nice), one private and one public with both being challenging and great people to play with! About 45 min from Boone, NC and the Blue Ridge Mountains. Oh, did I mention both courses will kick your butt?
Naomi
Noob

Asheville

Postby mchristie » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:18 am

How about Asheville, NC.....

1 course in town. 4 courses within 20 minutes of town. many courses within an hour.

Great culture and dining in town, and all of the outdoor activities that you could want. Asheville has some of the best hiking, mountainbiking, flyfishing, rock climbing, and kayaking of anywhere in the country. and the best part...it's all close to town.

It seems like a perfect place to me....but then again I might be biased.

Matt
mchristie
Noob

Postby BHW » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:34 pm

Just a little insight into the NC scene. I live in Raleigh. There are no less than 7 public courses within 45 minutes of my house. There are numerous private courses in that same range, enough that they have their own summertime "league". If you want to drive an hour or two, you can easily double those numbers. The further west you go, the more courses available, there are less on the coast. Expect most courses to feature tight, wooded holes....usually under 400ft. There are open courses, bu those are few and far between.
BHW
Tree Magnet

Postby Fritz » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:00 pm

Grand Junction, CO has a population of 41986
We have 2 courses and Machette in Grand Junction and Riverbend Park, which is in Palisade and is Fantastic!!! but that's only a ten minute tops drive to the east. We have a TON of hiking, biking and fishing here, and the Grand Valley is a huge Wine Country. We have a ton of wineries. So if you like Wine you can tour the wineries and get loaded up on wine and mead :) Also we are about 50 minutes from Moab.
We also have a few 9 hole courses as well.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby ericdmb » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:27 pm

roadkill wrote:
mikesolt wrote:Allentown, Pennsylvania

7-8 courses within 1/2 hr...home of the 2005 Worlds. Major airport, right off PA Turnpike, and home of www.dorneypark.com and yea..just alot to do there!

m

Mike,

I agree with your sentiment. Little Lehigh is amazing. Jordan Creek also fantastic and as you pointed out there are other attractions as well. If Domromer is strict on his criteria of <100,000 population A-town is inelgible. According to this http://allentown.areaconnect.com/statistics.htm it boasts a poulation of 106k.

Within an hour of Allentown you have at least a dozen courses! Not to mention Nocamixon, which many of the pros at 05worlds including Climo said was their favorite and most challanging course!
this hour drive from allentown also includes Sedgley Woods, the east coast's first course and the US's 2nd course established!
ericdmb
Tree Magnet

Postby redspexxx » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:29 pm

huntsville alabama! a great place to raise a family! i get comission for everyone i bring here...
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby dgdave » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:02 pm

I would agree with Tulsa. not sure on the pop., but there are about 15 courses in the metro and there used to be a mini every night. all the couses are fun too. another would be Norman, ok. 3 courses and 7 more within an hour drive, including one on a ball golf course. The university of ok is here. there are lakes a zoo and my uncle has the best bbq joint EVER right outside of town. another good town is sprinfield, mo. 3 great courses and some times russ burns, the disc golf monkey, has a private couse set up that is a par 60 and is phenomenal. plus there is a course set up about 30 minute away set up at a YMCA that is fun.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby garublador » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:12 pm

If you don't mind going up to a population of 200k, I have 31 courses within 60 miles of my zip code in the Des Moines metro according to the PDGA website.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby roadkill » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:29 pm

dgdave wrote:I would agree with Tulsa. not sure on the pop.,

A .... yeah... at 393,000 it hardly qualifies as a small town
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby WhtSx2005 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:52 pm

Sinnissippi park in Sterling, Illinois is a nice course

Population 15K...really that what makes it great; low traffic on course
I haven't failed. I have found 10,000 ways that won't work. --Thomas A. Edison