Finder’s , keeper’s ?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Finder’s , keeper’s ?

Postby wannabediscstar » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:56 pm

The previous thread titled “ How many disc ? “ got me to thinking , what is morally sound in regards to found disc . How much effort should one put into returning found disc ? When I first started this summer my brother lent me a stack of beaters and I spotted some one other than my brothers name on the disc . It was accompanied by a phone number so I started giving him a hard time about it , his reply was simply “ I called the guy and he wanted me to met him like an hour away , so I kept it .” My brother doesn’t say he will and wind up won’t so it is safe to assume he said that was not acceptable . In my opinion if the said previous owner wanted his disc back he would have (1) came and picked it up (2) offered gas money and meet to play a round or two (3) mailed my bro’ a stamped , padded . So as I began to purchase my stock I clearly marked my name , number , and thanks in advance ( conscious play :cry: ) on the inner rim . I have found 4 unmarked dx disc ( 3 in pond one in open field ) and one champ. disconnected number . I have lost one disc with no call back ( sharpie permanent so I know it didn’t wipe off to easily ) months ago . I don’t loose many cause I work my @ss off to retrieve them . So to arrive at my point here , if named disc don’t ring a bell , do you try to return ? If it’s in the drink you earned it fishing it out right ? If they wanted it as much as you they would have worked for it right ? If you leave it at a local lost and found someone other than the owner may wind up with it anyway . Or is the right thing to do , always try to return ? Even if it’s a sweet @ss saucer that your salivating over . Finders keepers , or not ? Don’t be skeered to be truthful. :D
wannabediscstar
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:21 am

i have returned upwards of 75 discs to owners. this year alone i returned about 15. i only personally found 2 of them, but the other 13 i purchased from people selling "used" discs or got from friends who had stacks of found discs and i knew the owner. usually people were willing to sling me a few $ to cover what i had to pay. even reuinted an ontario stingray w/ someone who had lost it 11 years earlier in the water at a course 3 hours away.

i have to say that 06 was a banner year for me in terms of getting discs returned to me. i got 3 discs returned (i had to pay for 1 of them) and a third that i left a few holes back in a doubles round.

i've only lost about 25 discs in 6 years of playing, but these were the first ones i've ever had returned. i'd only been called twice before, once from someone who found one of my discs in california (i left it in some tall grass after my throw) after i was back in portland, and another that found my disc at a course 35 miles from where i lost it at and 16 months after i lost it... i told both of them to keep em or give em to newbs.

generally speaking, i try to return stuff as i believe it is the right thing to do. i won't go wholly out of my way to return a disc though, i generally only make a bigger effort when i know the owners.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby domromer » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:45 am

I've lost a ton of discs and never got a single phone call , so I don't bother making any calls myself.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

discs

Postby twmccoy » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:29 am

As many as I find, I do make an effort to return discs. I've probably given back 75 over the past couple years. Unlike all the other disc finders around here, I will retrieve a disc if I see it go in and not charge. One other guy will pull the disc out and then ransom it off, even if it just went in. What an ass. It makes me feel good to give somebody's treasured disc back.

BTW, about 75% of the discs I find have no names. And honestly, I don't make an effort to return beat DX discs. I usually just leave them at the park. Too much trouble.

Also, I don't write my name on any of my discs. I figure if I lose them, I lose them. The track record of returned discs around here is horrible anyway. I also didn't lose any discs this year (none that I didn't want to lose anyway)
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:41 am

the only discs i have had returned were from tw. I have returned a good 20 or 30 discs, its a good way to find someone to play a round w/ :wink: (also I got my first ace a day or two after I returned my first disc. . . coincidence?, mabey, however the guy i returned it to happened to witness the ace)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby black udder » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:41 am

I'll return them if I can. I had one disc of mine that was returned several times.

Now I just mark them instead of putting my name/address on them. The odds of return were so small and the only times I lose them on our local courses (where I play most) is when I'm not paying attention and throw too many (and forget it), which I figure I deserve) or when it's up in a tree or something. I've lost 1 to the tree and about 4 or 5 to my own dumb ass.

For me, it came into perspective when I lost a disc a few minutes before a league night and *nobody* said anything about finding a disc. No name, but it had my mark. It was a Z MRV with a dragon stamp. We're talking about everybody walking off in foursomes and not a word from anybody. I even asked a few groups. Nada.

Still. If there's a number, I'll call it. If they were too far away, I'd probably offer to mail it. I know how it can be to have a sweetheart disc and lose it.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby presidio hills » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:36 am

i tend to lose a few discs a year. lately i haven't been getting called (or the discs haven't been found). to me it's especially sad when it's something that's perfectly seasoned and thus very hard to replace... can't put a price on those, or how greatful i am to people that bother to call me about it. especially on my dx discs (eagles and rocs) i write "please return!" or "free beer" so people know i really do want it back.

i lost my favorite DX roc (rancho, flat top) in the drink at the san francisco safari... it was the first shot of the day and i thought i could clear this pond with a roc (about 270'). it went into some reeds and i never got it back. i think about that disc all the time... since it was my favorite roc (light green, rainbow sf disc golf club stamp, SUPER beat). i'm pretty sure some one has it... and that pisses me off. i hope it's still lost, though.

learned a good lesson, though; don't go for the pond shot with your favorite disc early in the morning... shoulda been more aggressive and just bombed a driver way over the other side.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby black udder » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:47 am

That's one of the positives of throwing with the tougher plastic (z, x, etc.) they don't get really beat in, so if you lose it, just go pick up another, no biggie.

Downside is all the stuff that Blake (and others) love about worn in dx plastic.

I had a 150 champ valk that I lost in a tree -- was too high to get out. Eventually it fell down, but I wasn't around and somebody took it home. It was finally beat in, so that was a tough loss.

I visited a course in Charlottesville (Walnut Creek) and on the 18th hole they have a shot over water. I didn't even try to see if I could make it, just threw wide around then when I got to the water crossing, picked up and walked home. In a tourney, I'd have still gone around, but played out at least. Although I think the water holes are quite scenic, I don't get the concept as much when you're talking about discs that cost seven+ times as much as a ball. Folks say throw a beat disc, but then you don't know what it's going to do... if you do, then it's probably one you use, so why risk it?

There's a couple at Walnut creek that are nice with water - throwing beside and away from the water or throwing over it with good elevation and it's only 100 feet or so. Still, my brother in law tossed a good Z disc into the drink while learning.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Timko » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:28 am

I've always returned discs with a name/number on them. If they needed to be shipped to someone, I normally ask for some of the cost of shipping back. If it doesn't have a name on it, our club has a message board where we can post lost discs. If it's got no name, and I post it on the board for at least a month and no one claims it, then I generally claim it. If someone wants it back, then they can buy a new one and trade me at that point.

As far as getting discs back, I've got horrible luck. I was doing great this year, but the new hoss of a course that we just put in is a disc eating monster. Already, 3 star teebirds and 2 star firebirds; the problem is that the rough is so high the literally disappear. I'm sure someone found them and doesn't have a phone, so they can't call me. :?
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Fritz » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:23 am

I call you twice. If you don't respond then I keep the disc.
I even call "long distance" numbers because how you know they didn't move to your town etc...

TDK and twmcoy have returned discs to me.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Blake_T » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:06 pm

That's one of the positives of throwing with the tougher plastic (z, x, etc.) they don't get really beat in, so if you lose it, just go pick up another, no biggie.

this is only if you are prone to losing discs.

i know tons of people that have very seasoned champ plastic they are dependent upon.

the smart ones have 3-5 in the same broken in stage.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Fritz » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:43 pm

Blake_T wrote:

this is only if you are prone to losing discs.

i know tons of people that have very seasoned champ plastic they are dependent upon.

the smart ones have 3-5 in the same broken in stage.

I'm one of those that has a couple disc I would be very bummed out if they didn't find their way back home. I know exactly what they do and they are perfectly beat in.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Will » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:49 pm

Ive lost about 2-3 discs (broken in champ/star) i was dependent upon, and the guy who found them KNEW me and SOLD them anyways. Thats how it goes around here in the local area, everyone wants to make a buck and not help others out.

The fellow golfers in the area give back to the community, but its the guys who just go to fish them out and claim them as there own, really starts to get to you after you tell them you'll buy them back.
I finally figured out how to putt!! Then I forgot again...
Will
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:52 pm

when i was throwing avengers I had two Z avengers broken in straight (similar flight to a solf or teebird), i was so afraid of losing them that I bought some ESP-FR Avengers to throw instead. . .
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby dhoyda » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:55 pm

If it has a name and number and is in a field or open view, I call them back because it is no hassle.

If it has a name and number but is in water, I don't call, I worked for it, they didn't.

If it has just initials, or a name but NO number, I will keep it.
dhoyda
Noob

Next

Return to General Discussion