Finder’s , keeper’s ?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Fritz » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:18 pm

dhoyda wrote:If it has a name and number and is in a field or open view, I call them back because it is no hassle.

If it has a name and number but is in water, I don't call, I worked for it, they didn't.

If it has just initials, or a name but NO number, I will keep it.

You ASSUME they didn't work for it. There has been plenty of times I've walked up and down the river, all over the lake for an hour or so and no luck. Then Terry calls me up dude found your disc. So...
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Texas Made » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:41 pm

This subject allways comes up, but it's a valid one.
No name- mine.
Name, no number- makes it tough to return.
Name & number- you will get a call. alot of the time, the person doesnt seem to
want it back, or has already bought a replacement. Regardless, I have had some
nice discs given to me by the person who I returned it to.

I am not greedy either, I give away alot of discs that I find if I know the person likes to play alot, or uses a particular disc that I found that they like; or if they are a newbie and dont have any. The nice guy take on discs is the way to be, it comes back to you in a better way than the disc you might have wanted to keep, but returned it to the original owner.

I think its B$#ch made to sell discs with names and numbers. You should't capitalize on someones misfourtune. they would't have written a name and number on the discs if they didnt want it back.

Also I have foulnd that the more I give back, the more come back to me.

It s "the golden rule" man.....
"I dont know if I can sink this putt, theres a Bush in the way- Kind of like the US goverment"...

Texas Made
Tree Magnet

Postby swel304 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:44 pm

this topic comes around every few months and i really dont see the point in asking. it comes down to a very basic concept of life. due unto others as you would have done to you. if you need to ask if its ok or make "rules" as to when its ok to keep someones disc, then you will likely feel much better about yourself if you pick up the phone and give them a call. If your just looking for a general agreement on the matter, most people will come up with any number of reasons why its ok to keep them, but that doesnt make it the right thing to do.

ive lost about 6 discs this past year. I didnt "give up" looking for them, but eventually the sun goes down and the gates get locked. Of the 6 only 1 has been returned (because it was found by a friend of mine). does that mean I should only return discs to friends and say to hell with everyone else? should I assume that since they are not still there looking for it or didnt jump into a lake right then that they dont want it or dont plan to return for it? or should I assume ownership on the grounds that the few minutes of effort to retrieve the disc earned it for me above and beyond the person who actually paid for it?
Wizard-Buzz-PolarisLS-Valkyrie-Wraith-BlizzKatana

http://www.XTREMEairbrush.com
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby domromer » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:32 pm

it's like the law of salvage on the high seas. If you find it, it's yours. :twisted:
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby swel304 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:28 pm

domromer wrote:it's like the law of salvage on the high seas. If you find it, it's yours. :twisted:

if that helps you sleep at night :P :lol:
Wizard-Buzz-PolarisLS-Valkyrie-Wraith-BlizzKatana

http://www.XTREMEairbrush.com
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby domromer » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:48 pm

I have no problem sleeping at all. :twisted:
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby black udder » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:07 pm

I can't help but wonder if the number of discs you own doesn't play a part. If you have... say 29, maybe you don't have the income to spend on discs, so finding one is a boon. If you have 100, then you've got all you want/need so it's easier to return the disc (or at least make an attempt).

I also believe it's a fallacy to believe that just because somebody lost a disc, they didn't work trying to find it. Many discs are lost because they're just not where the person thought they would be. They can look for hours in the wrong place and never find it.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby domromer » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:31 pm

black udder wrote:I can't help but wonder if the number of discs you own doesn't play a part. If you have... say 29, maybe you don't have the income to spend on discs, so finding one is a boon. If you have 100, then you've got all you want/need so it's easier to return the disc (or at least make an attempt).

I also believe it's a fallacy to believe that just because somebody lost a disc, they didn't work trying to find it. Many discs are lost because they're just not where the person thought they would be. They can look for hours in the wrong place and never find it.

you might have a point there.

domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby Jerry R » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:27 pm

I've been playing about 1 year and and have only about 20 discs. I get a alot of satisfaction out of returning discs even though I haven't gotten any calls on my lost discs. Just a goody-two-shoes I guess, maybe I'll get more jaded as I play longer. I do think discs lost in water are finders keepers.
Jerry R
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Q Sentinel

Postby black udder » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:46 pm

how are you guys fishing discs out of water? Diving? Using a pole? Just curious :)
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby domromer » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:24 pm

wading in and steping on them, or swimming when conditions allow.

domromer
Plastic Fondler

gazelle

Postby twmccoy » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:55 pm

Hey Josh, I just remembered I still have that beat up gazelle of yours. If I ever get to play again I'll give it to someone for you. Flies great. I chucked it across the pro tee at badlands #12 and it made it.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Re: gazelle

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:59 am

twmccoy wrote: I chucked it across the pro tee at badlands #12 and it made it.

Lol, good hole to use someone elses plastic on. ;-)
that is one of my favorite holes in the denver area, however if you cant make it, theres not much a lay up option, so i can see where people complain.

btw has the bottom of that pond flattened back out some, or is it still a real sharp drop of on the shed end?
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Eric O » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:37 am

I am able to return about 90% of the discs I find. I have had about 90% of my own lost disc returned. Coincidence? Maybe...
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Mr.SmOOOth » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:08 pm

Good Karma!
"Are you talking to me on a cellular phone? I don't know you. Who is this? Don't come here! Prank caller! Prank caller!"
Mr.SmOOOth
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Z BUZZZ

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion