The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - 2011 Edition

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - 2011 Edition

Postby Monocacy » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:48 pm

zj - congrats!

Good: Played 36+ windy holes at Seneca. After an 18-hole warm-up, I was hitting lines pretty well and birdied a few holes that I had not birdied before.

Bad: Left my nicely-seasoned DX Teebird behind on hole #13, the same hole where I left my nicely-seasoned Leopard last time I played. Gotta stop throwing practice drives on that hole.

Ugly: I expect to be sore on Monday . . .
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Powdertoast » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:19 pm

Good: Throwing a new flattish FR Vector straight out to about 220' with some end fade without much effort.

Bad: Lost the thing in the overgrown underbrush.

Ugly: This was a replacement Vector for the one I lost a few days ago at another course, and only the second throw with this particular one.
Cinderella story. Outta nowhere.... It looks like a mirac... It's in the chains!
Powdertoast
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Vector

Postby JR » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:20 am

Good: Received my PDGA number. Played a round after work. The DG course near my work place has some exercise equipment and i found a way to use one of them for training the chopping of the elbow.

Bad: Wet, wet, wet!!!! Muddy pants.

Ugly: Oh boy did i remember quickly why i shouldn't play after work or tired. My arm doesn't respond to commands during putting and my hip tilts unwantedly. My nerves in the arm are shot, the muscles are stiff, there is no control or finesse in the arm motions and absolutely no repeatability. 32 MPH gusts officially measured in this town but i'm the stiffest ones were way worse than that. On one putt i used a Force that lifted with minimal power in the putt and wound up farther than where i was. On that same hole the chains were offset by the wind all the time. Ridge flipped in putts more than once and bounced from the pole just a little over the Headricks back out three times. The discs were all over the place in approaches and putts. No grip in the fingers thanks to almost glass slippery skin that doesn't have skin oils thanks to needing to wash the hands. And probably still missing the outer layer of skin that holds the moisture in the skin... No joy.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby what'shisname » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:21 am

Good - Got in 48 holes in 90 degree weather at Sunset Park in Vegas on Saturday at their local Singles/Doubles rounds. Great group of guys there were very accommodating for me and it being the first few rounds without snow on the ground for me since October it was all good times.

Bad - I wasn't playing at my best considering the lack of sleep, etc. but I was definitely able to hold up my end in the doubles well enough.

Ugly - delayed return flight has left me with about an hours sleep last night and now I'm back in 7 F weather with snow on the ground instead of the 90 down in Vegas. :x :(
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby Iman522 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:39 pm

Good: I won my first event in any division ever and it was in Open after getting bumped up from advanced. I tied another guy for the course record in the process. :D

Bad: There were only 3 Open players.

Ugly: Even though I shot better than everyone else I only got my entry fee back. Intermediate's winner took home more than I did :(
Iman522
Noob

Postby Trey133 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:48 pm

The good- I got three tasty ron russel z comets for less than the price of one!!! Hah!

The good- I played disc golf and had fun today!!!

The bad- my putting is a little off

The better- I tbree'd 17 long at wellspring!

The ugly- I'm broke!
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Ghandi
Discmania Golf Discs: Reinvent your game.
Trey133
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby inthedrift » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:04 pm

Good - Tied for 2nd after the first round of a local unsanctioned tourney today.

Bad - Shot horribly in the back nine of the second round and finished 6th.

UGLY - Lost my C.E. Firebird AND broke my 2+ year seasoned KC Roc this past week....... :( :(
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby JR » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:34 am

Good: Hopefully the future. I bought Vibram Komodosport for future exercise to strengthen my feet and ankles. I hope that they aren't overly grippy as my current sneakers seem to be.

Smeg: I've overused my body for weeks and it bit me again. I'm under doctors orders not to throw for at least two weeks. Hopefully i don't have to miss too many work days. The filming season is on and i gotta pay a lot again. The price of Komodosports in Finland. I mean F me.

Ugly: My feet have lost skin in many places and tendons all over are overused. I need to cut walking and i walk all the time at work. I've got to avoid using flat soled shoes. I think that i got bit by too grippy shoes. And i slipped on almost each drive with slippery shoes in dubs at the Finnish Open 2010. Nothing's ever good it seems...
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:52 pm

Good: At Dubs last night me and partner birdied the first 6 holes

bad: we finished 7 down

Ugly: pretty much every hole after those first six. I didn't hit any trees really hard or throw badly, everything was just off by a bit. I would nick a tree or throw a little too nose up and hyzer out early leaving me and the partner with a lot of 30-40' putts for birdie which we did not make a lot of.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Steady 26542 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:20 pm

JR, best wishes on a fast recovery.
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Postby Monocacy » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:41 pm

Good: Won CTP at the local league

Bad: Got a circle 6 on a 270' hole

Ugly: Lost my Banshee 30' up in a tree (hence the circle)
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JR » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:32 pm

Thanks Mark. Maybe i'll get some work done on videos so maybe recovery ain't such a priority for the disc golf community :-)
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Wed May 04, 2011 10:30 am

Good my feet get the doc ordered rest.

Bad: i've got fever and i'm wiped out.

Ugly: I missed the concert from my fave band. ARGH"#¤/¤()(%!!!!!
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby rusch_bag » Fri May 06, 2011 2:40 pm

Good - Figured out how to throw a little farther (I wasn't reaching back very far, was throwing more controlled shots)

good - shot my best round at a course I play often ever today

good - got a great field session in today as well

bad - bogeyed the 2nd to last hole during said round

ugly - my fingers hurt
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Wyno » Fri May 06, 2011 3:46 pm

rusch_bag wrote:Good - Figured out how to throw a little farther (I wasn't reaching back very far, was throwing more controlled shots)

good - shot my best round at a course I play often ever today

good - got a great field session in today as well

bad - bogeyed the 2nd to last hole during said round

ugly - my fingers hurt

sounds like a brilliant day all considered :)
Mark Ellis wrote:Most sins can be erased with a blunt edged disc.

PD, Vector, Axis, Ion, Anode. XL, Comet
Wyno
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Ion

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion