Snow

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Snow

Postby trogdor » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:41 am

Snow has been on the ground for a long time here in the Denver/Boulder area and I'm really starting to get cabin feaver. Need to get out and throw.

I think I can brave the cold, but I'm not sure I want to look for hours for my disc when it dives into the snow.

Any tips on throwing in the snow and finding your disc would be appreciated.

I remember seeing somewhere on line using thin ribbons taped to the bottom of your disc so that when the disc dives under, you can still see the ribbon. Has anyone tried this? Do the discs fly remotely like they do without the ribbons?
Pred, Wraith, TeeBird, Eagle, Whippet, Cobra, Rhyno, Arrow
trogdor
Tree Magnet

Postby some call me...tim? » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:06 am

Haven't tried the ribbons, but I read somewhere else that they can fall off easily and also mess with the flight a bit. We've had some snow out here lately, though probably not anything close to what you've got. My best advice is to make sure you don't go golfing alone...it can be hard enough to find a disc with 3 other guys looking, but nigh impossible to find one by yourself. Besides that, make sure you throw bright colors, orange and pink seem to be the best from what I've seen (particularly in Star/ESP type plastic). And whatever you do, keep an eye on your disc as much as possible, paying attention to landmarks and whatnot. Any flat shot can scoot right under the snow leaving almost no mark at all.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:46 am

it was pretty easy to find discs earlyier this week dispite the 6-12 inches still standing becaue no one had walked in it so shots were easy to track.
Once snow gets as deep as it is it dosnt really matter what color you throw, becuase they are all going to be under the snow. (IE we spent 20 minutes looking for an orange disc, and never lost a white one). Best advice is keep an eye on em.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby kvanorsdel » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:46 pm

I have done a couple of different things to keep from losing discs in the snow.

You can get the bobber lights that people use for night golfing and tape those to the bottom of your discs and then the disc will glow from under the snow.

I have also used the "Alaskan Method" take powder chalk, used in the construction biz to snap a straight line, and put some in a old pair of pantyhose, keep the panyhose filled with colored chalk in a zipplock type bag. When you get ready to throw take the chalk bag out of the ziplock and pat it all over your disc. when the disc enters the snow it leaves a colored slit in the snow. I have found the red and blue chalk to be the easist to locate in the snow. Multiple players, each person uses a different color chalk.

Next tidbit of advice especially for newly fallen snow is to walk on or in an established path. This goes for everyone in the group. it will make finding the slits in the snow much easier if the snow remains as undisturbed as possible.

Last bit of advice, keep your discs in the car overnight before going out to play a round in the snow. Cold discs = less snow sticking to them. Warm discs melt the snow and the snow then refreezes on them quickly creating a frustrating battle between you and the snow/ice
kvanorsdel
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Barbikes » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:06 pm

I tried the "ribbon method" last sunday. I used 1/4" wide curling ribbon about 4 feet long and attached it to the center bottom of the disc with a small piece of duct tape. The ribbon remained attached well (except for that time when I was standing on the ribbon while I picked up the disc) and I didn't lose any discs. The discs seemed to have about the same flight characteristics except they don't go as far. I would say they go about 85/90% as far. On the other hand it didn't seem to affect my score. The slick teedpads were the main impediment to a good score for me!

kvanorsdel's method sounds good too. I don't know about you but I kind of like the idea of looking for "slits" in the snow. Do they make that chalk in hot pink?
Barbikes
Tree Magnet

Postby trogdor » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:20 pm

Looks like good ideas. Thanks! I'll definitely try to get out a throw this weekend.
Pred, Wraith, TeeBird, Eagle, Whippet, Cobra, Rhyno, Arrow
trogdor
Tree Magnet

Postby the invisible tree » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:40 pm

Do rollers work at all in the snow? If they do it would leave a path to your disc everytime.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:56 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:it was pretty easy to find discs earlyier this week dispite the 6-12 inches still standing becaue no one had walked in it so shots were easy to track.
Once snow gets as deep as it is it dosnt really matter what color you throw, becuase they are all going to be under the snow. (IE we spent 20 minutes looking for an orange disc, and never lost a white one). Best advice is keep an eye on em.

This is what I was playing in earlier this week. Image

See the filled in footprints, I tried playing a few days before, but it started snowing on me.

Thats the whitler laying in the basket after making a 60' er I didnt bring any wizards out that day, i figrued the whitler would stay over the snow better, and i wanted to really try it out (got them right before the snow started coming. . . a month ago)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby wannabediscstar » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:35 pm

Awesome pic.! You guy's are hard core trudging trough the elements to get your fix . Its been incredible mild here in Tennessee this year so I wouldn’t know about it . :D
wannabediscstar
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:11 pm

yeah, weve had an oddly wet and cold weather pattern this year. I origionally was planning on waiting out the snow and sub freezing weather. . . then a month went by and it was barely starting to look better, so i gave up on the waiting, and wanted to throw a disc further than my apartment allows (I have a pic somewhere of a stack of wizards strewn about after some putting practice)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby ViperChick » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:04 pm

the invisible tree wrote:Do rollers work at all in the snow? If they do it would leave a path to your disc everytime.

LOL - great theory! :lol:
ViperChick
Noob

Postby calvarycoffee » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:54 am

throw 'em upside down. they'll "ski" to the basket. . .
Do not resist chances. . . and there will be one less thing you cannot do -ACG
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:19 pm

calvarycoffee wrote:throw 'em upside down. they'll "ski" to the basket. . .

especially w/ this snow (fairly icy, like east coast snowboarding . . . *burn ) :lol: pancake shots have been tons of fun. PS we got 4 more inches last night :shock:
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:21 pm

although i have gotten out in the snow, this has been my main take at golf this month Image

i wish i had a better target though :roll:
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Rob » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:15 pm

Haha I used to to do something similar kid before I got my basket. I would put a laundry basket on a chair and put a belt through it to keep it on. Then throw a blanket or two in it to help catch it. Ah the things you do to get yer fix. lol.
Rob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Next

Return to General Discussion