1st round of 2007 a record for me

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

1st round of 2007 a record for me

Postby rodman » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:04 am

I've been playing for about 18 months but I've not played for the past 3 months due to weather and other committments. I went out yesterday to play with a friend at Chapel Hill, NC course (my favorite) and it was a record day for me. I was in total control of my driver and only found trouble 2 times in 18 holes. I had 3 birdies and finished with a 4 over par (we call everything a par 3 but there are actually 2 holes that should be considered par 4s). This was my best score ever by 4 strokes.

Strangely enough this same thing happens to me in ball golf. My form and scoring is always better the first 2 months of the season and then I begin to tinker and it always results in worse scores later in the season. Late last year I was playing terribly. My last round (on a brutally tough course) was like 20 over par.

The thing that was going very right for me yesterday was my driver was long and straight (relatively speaking). I missed only 2 fairways and was averaging around 300 ft and for me that's pretty good. Actually, 300 ft and consistently in the fairway is really good for me.

So on to my question, does anyone else experience this early season form? It seems in most things that I do that I have very little rust to shake off but as the season goes on that I dont progress as I should. I hope that's not the case for this season in either sport that I play.
rodman
Noob

Postby mothrows » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:56 am

If I don't get a chance to play for a couple of weeks, often times I come back with a better than average rd, but if I'm off for a month or two I'm definitely rusty.
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

Postby Timko » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:49 pm

I'll agree with that. I probably shoot lower consistently during the spring/early summer months than later in the year. However, all of my records on local courses are after July.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Rob » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:21 am

Yea ive had this happen too. Not setting a record or ne thing but sometimes If i dont play for a few days which is a lot for me hah it seems my drives are crisper. Not so much the putting though.
Rob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby garublador » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:17 am

I find that at the beginning of the season I don't expect myself to be good, so I'm more relaxed to try to "get back into it." Later on in the season I find myself trying too hard and that has a negative impact on my game. If I relax near the end of the season I shoot better than at the beginning.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Weebl » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:04 am

After a lot of driving these past 2 weeks, i seem to have more focus in the round (I didnt play as much during the past 2 weeks as I usually do as well) I don't know why, but it's as if I developed tunnel vision on the course. I am enjoying it.
"When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a Frisbee"
-Dr. Stancil Johnson
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby roadkill » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:48 pm

I'd say your good performance early in the season is linked to your expectations and attitude.

You come out to play after a long layoff or with very little practice and you don't expect to do well. So you tend to put less pressure on yourself and are more relaxed and therefore execute better. If you do happen to miss a putt or put one in the shule it doesn't upset you since you expect this kind of thing to happen.

After several months of playing regularly and practicing you expect more and are more critical and less forgiving of yourself. This is added self-inflicted pressure. You're more likely to overthink and obsess about mistakes. This type of attitude is counterproductive and hurts your play.

I've experienced the same with several sports. As soon as I raise expectations and put pressure on myself to perform I tend to screw up. This is common among amateur players as well as some bottom end pros. I'm not saying be a pessimist or set your sights low, I am saying don't be caught up with perfectionism, relax and roll with the punches.

I'd advise you to try to focus on enjoying the game and be loose and relaxed. Realize that bad shots happen and accept it when they do. Nothing ruins a round faster than harping on your mistakes. As I tell players : Don't let a bad shot on hole 4 affect your play on hole 7.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Return to General Discussion