Lost 4 QOLFs on one hole...

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Lost 4 QOLFs on one hole...

Postby RustyP » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:26 pm

HUGE loss last night, all pretty new QOLFs.

I was driving a hole that carries about 250', maybe 275' over water (Porter # 10, for any Dallas locals). Drive #1: Foot slipped, turned my slight hyzer into a giant spike that landed dead center in the pond. Drive #2 : Got my footing back, hyzered to the right, and parked the shot. Drive #3 : Same thing as 2, just not quite as close. Drive #4 : Shot too low, hit a tree on the right side of the pond, dropped in the water about 10 feet out.

I knew the first shot was gone (too cold to wade in the neck-high, murky water), but I thought I could maybe drag the 4th one out with a stick. After about 10 minutes of blindly poking around in the water, the sunlight had faded completely. Obviously, I was pissed - so pissed, in fact, that I didnt even think to pick up the 2 drives that worked out. Now I am QOLFless....

Moral of this story....

dont play like me :D
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby redspexxx » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:49 pm

ouch. you need some dragons...
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby garublador » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:58 pm

My rule is that I'll only throw one disc if water is involved. If it goes in, then I throw from a place where the water isn't a danger anymore. I got tired of situations like you described. I prefer to throw new, low end plastic discs if at all possible, too. They're the easiest to replace. If I know there's a dangerous hole I'll carry an extra disc I don't care about to throw instead.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Terrence » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:19 pm

Wow, that's rough man. Look on the bright side, that was probably the only occasion where disc golf cost nearly as much as ball golf :wink:
DX Teebird - Star Teebird - Pro Wraith - 4X JK Pro Valkyrie - 150g ESP Flick - DGA Tsunami
1st Run Star Cro - 5 bar stamp DX Rocs - 2004 Champ Roc
3 DX Aviars - KC Pro Aviar
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

QOLF's

Postby twmccoy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:13 pm

Boy, if I was there I'd put my waders on and go out looking for them. You just lost like $50 of discs on one hole. Ouch.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby RustyP » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:16 pm

Yep, my one-and-only $60 round of disc golf... :oops:

Typically, I too only throw one disc on water hazards, but I let my frustration get the best of me...lesson learned!
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Texas Made » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:00 pm

Sounds Like Hole #6 a Cameron Park East in Waco.....
Its a disc eater.....and giver....and taker.....Wind is allways a factor.....
I stock DX Firebirds, and they work great.......

Throwing over water is all in the mind, its a mental roadblock......
I just throw like the water isnt there at all......
"I dont know if I can sink this putt, theres a Bush in the way- Kind of like the US goverment"...

Texas Made
Tree Magnet

Postby black udder » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:44 pm

i can't say I've lost any discs in water like that, but I've gone and thrown a few discs on a hole and then left 1 or more.

I think at times we all throw multiple discs on a hole, but I don't think it's a good habit.

Sorry to hear about that loss... that really sucks.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby sleepy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:42 pm

I'm assuming you've never seen the movie Tin Cup, eh? :D

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Blake_T » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:51 pm

Rusty:

sounds like you should invest in a disc that will still go 275' when your foot slips :P
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby jmammo » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:08 am

boy do I know how you feel. #14 at my home course in Joliet, it is a 475ft monster. There is water on both sides and there is like no fairway at all. I ALWAYS put at least one in the drink. I have never gotten so pissed off that I lost 4 disc on one hole 2 or 3 maybe but never 4.
Buy the ticket, take the ride

Too weird to live, to rare to die

You are my one and only Chicagooo
To dream in RED, to dream in WHITE
For you we all shout into the night
jmammo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby RustyP » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:30 am

Blake_T wrote:Rusty:

sounds like you should invest in a disc that will still go 275' when your foot slips :P
Hardy-har-har :lol:

Maybe I should just carry around a giant space heater to dry off the pads! Or perhaps I could just work on my driving form, but where's the creativity in that?
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby redspexxx » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:59 am

i actually have a mental image of Jean Van de Velde from what you are describing...
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:41 pm

RustyP wrote:
Blake_T wrote:Rusty:

Hardy-har-har :lol:

Maybe I should just carry around a giant space heater to dry off the pads! Or perhaps I could just work on my driving form, but where's the creativity in that?

Man, that sucks, dude.

Please see this thread.

http://www.pdga.com/msgboard/showflat.p ... o=&fpart=1

I have generally been getting the shit kicked out of me for expressing my distaste with the INCESSANT use of water for hazards, when any barrier can be marked as effectively OB. Apparently, the only cool hazard is water.

that #10 hole is a perfect example of a hole that plays EXACTLY THE SAME WITHOUT THE WATER!!! The water dries up in in the summer in that pond, and the hole suffers in no way whatsoever!!! The only thing that changes is that the disc "pickers" make less money.

Rusty I would suggest you find out how to "reduce" plant foot slides. I have been working on this since last summer. I have improved my form significantly. I believe the sliding plant foot is evidence of jamming the plant leg. It has help me to bend at the waist more like throwing a heyser yet, pull flatter.

What this does is move the center of rotation of the shoulders (which can still be flat to the ground even though you are tilted at the waist) off to the left of the plant foot. This appears to allow the push leg (the back leg) to drive AROUND the plant leg and not INTO it. I noticed an increase in my ability to snap and finish much harder without jamming my foot into the ground (and sliding) because the front leg stays bent.

It also appears to help to work the trailing shoulder (the left) more to the left as you fire through. This can help not driving the front shoulder into the front hip (which can jam the leg, heel).

This is #1 in my practice agenda. You cannot throw when you are sliding. You must be able to throw with minimum traction. This is really hard for me, because I am so "tank like".
Last edited by Bradley Walker on Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby garublador » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:51 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:I have generally been getting the shit kicked out of me for expressing my distaste with the INCESSANT use of water for hazards, when any barrier can be marked as effectively OB. Apparently, the only cool hazard is water.

I'm in 100% agreement with you there. I've had people argue that you have to have the oppertunity to actually lose a disc for a hole to be challenging and fun. I have a toilet that doesn't always get everything when you flush it, maybe they want to come over and flush some $10 bills for fun to see if they get them back.

I'm sure the oppertunity to lose a disc makes a hole a bit more exciting to some, but it really doesn't add anything qualitywise to a hole especally to those of us who don't get excited at the chance to lose money with no chance to gain any.
garublador
Disc Whore

Next

Return to General Discussion