Pay to play

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Pay to play

Postby domromer » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:47 am

Would you pay?
How much is enough/ too much?
Why is it a good/bad idea?

I just wanted to see what you guys thoughts are on this subject.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby Solty » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:51 am

Can anyone from Delaware add any insight?
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Re: Pay to play

Postby Fritz » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:12 am

domromer wrote:Would you pay?
How much is enough/ too much?
Why is it a good/bad idea?

I just wanted to see what you guys thoughts are on this subject.

Absolutely yes, I would pay.
I would pay up to 10$ for a day pass, depending on the good idea reasons below are instituted on the course.

Good idea:
Course upkeep, no more missing chains, tee pads are pristine, exclusive to just disc golf, so no more idiots walking across your path while you are getting ready to throw, possibility of no more course vultures to steal your discs and I bet some really nice course design would be part of a pay course, because who's going to pay money to play a shitty course? Also the possibility of tee times. With the paying to play, could remove some of the newer players form the course and allow serious tournament players to really truly practice in a tournament mindset and not worry so much about new players disrupting their game play.
These are just a few of the thing I could see as a benefit from paying to play.

Bad Idea:
Not enough discers will pay, therefore that course has a chance to go away, possibility that a pay course will be looked at as "not the true meaning od disc golf" mindset and no one will go. Tee times could also backfire in the sense no one wants to play regulated golf.

Those are just a few of the bad reasons.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby garublador » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:22 am

I've played at the Hyland Ski and Snowboard area in Bloomington, MN. They opened a pay to play disc golf course last spring-summer sometime. When I went it was $3/round or $5/day. The course was kept up really nice and they had a consession stand at the chalet. They had a "pro-shop" but it wasn't much. I'm sure they'll expand on it, though.

I thought the price was very reasonable. The course was in great condition, with a good challenge, there was little traffic and the consession stand was nice. I like having free courses a lot, but I woudln't mind dropping $5-$10 every once in a while for a particularly nice course with extra perks.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby some call me...tim? » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:22 am

1. Definitely.

2. That really depends on what the course is. $1-5 I'd fork over on a regular basis for a good course. Maybe $10 for something really outstanding (something that I'd take a road trip to). And if there were some super-special-out-of-control-DG-course-of-dreams, I'd be willing to pay $30-40, but that would be a pretty rare occasion. $1-5 daily fee I think would be the most reasonable, and have something like an option for a $25-50 annual fee.

3. And why it's a good idea...you'd have a course dedicated to disc golf and nothing but. No dog walkers, picnicers, playgrounds, etc. And you'd have a constant influx of funds to the course so constant maintenance and upgrades would be possible, unlike where now courses pretty much have to rely on donations and fundraiser tournaments. And maintenance comes down to a lot of volunteer work, which as I'm sure lots of people have found, is hard to get organized and people commiting to it. Plus, having a private course, it would set the standard a little higher, so that you don't get all the rowdy drunkards/stoners/trashy elements (not that I have anything against drink or smoke, just that people can be stupid about it).

Best example I've seen is Morley Field in San Diego. I think it's $3 a day to play there, and the course is maintained very well. Benches at every hole I think, no litter, on-site pro shop with a lost disc service, and what I think is coolest, 5 pin positions per hole, which gets changed every Monday. The course isn't the best one that I've ever played, but it is a good example of how things are improved by having a regular income.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby gorillaboy » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:24 am

we ahve a course about 15 miles from me that was a free course but this last spring they turned it into pay and play ..... it's pay on an honor system they ask $5 for the day or $20 for the year ......and as far as i know they still had lots of people go play there i only went there like three times in the spring last year before they switched it to pay and play ...and I did'nt stop going there because of that i just never made it out that way the rest of the year in stead i was playing another course about 8 miles from there the most
gorillaboy
King of the Jungle

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby sleepy » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:45 am

Check out Morley Field Disc Golf Course

If I'm not mistaken, it's one of the most successful pay-to-play courses in existence.

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Rob » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:48 am

I def wouldnt mind paying to play. But what if its the only course around you and say its the summer where your playing almost everyday? That would def get a little pricey.
Rob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby coogs » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:57 am

mikesolt wrote:Can anyone from Delaware add any insight?

Sure, what do you wanna know?

I assume you're talking about the fact that most of our courses are located in state parks that require an entrance fee at certain times of the year?
Last edited by coogs on Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coogs
Tree Magnet

Postby sleepy » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:58 am

Rob wrote:I def wouldnt mind paying to play. But what if its the only course around you and say its the summer where your playing almost everyday? That would def get a little pricey.

That's why the course would (hopefully) offer a season pass. :)

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby MR. WICK » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:03 pm

Pay to play works great for Pyramids and maple hill. $5 all day. I've never had a problem paying to contribute to course maintenance and improvements.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby some call me...tim? » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:06 pm

Rob wrote:I def wouldnt mind paying to play. But what if its the only course around you and say its the summer where your playing almost everyday? That would def get a little pricey.

That's Morley Field's situation. The only other course around AFAIK is Emerald Isle which is a Fly-18 course (baskets added to an existing ball golf course), which is also pay to play, and a little more expensive. So Morley pretty much has a monopoly on it.

The only problem with the Morley Field situation is that there are no free courses for it to compete with, i.e., no standard to hold it against. If there were a free course that wasn't maintained well, had all sorts of dog walkers and whatnot, and was overcrowded, then it would prove to be good justification for paying a little something for a better discing environment.

As it is, since Morley's the main show in town, it IS overcrowded and there isn't much you can do about it, just put up and shut up. Fortunately, they do maintain the course well, but without any kind of competition, they wouldn't have to do necessarily do that. Though for the amount of revenue they generate, I think they could improve the course a bit. For instance, when I went, most of their benches were pretty shoddy...made of plywood that was warped and chipping. For a course that's packed every day, with people constantly paying, they should make it pretty pimped out, IMO.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Terrence » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:33 pm

My home course has a couple donation boxes at two of the first hole tees. I donate $1 every round I play. The donations have given the DG community enough capital to build three 24-hole courses on the Consumer's Energy owned land, making it one of the premier courses in Michigan. I'm all for paying to play.
DX Teebird - Star Teebird - Pro Wraith - 4X JK Pro Valkyrie - 150g ESP Flick - DGA Tsunami
1st Run Star Cro - 5 bar stamp DX Rocs - 2004 Champ Roc
3 DX Aviars - KC Pro Aviar
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby Timko » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:47 pm

Horseshoe Canyon in Arkansas is a pay to play course. Of course, it isn't a disc golf course, it's a ranch, with horse riding, camping, hiking, and some of the best Roc (pun!) climbing in the Ozarks. And you've got the small course, then the big monster course to chose from. I think they charge around $5 a day to play, no matter how much you fit in. Horseshoe has some comparisons to the now defunct Gran Canyon, and I've got no problem paying a little bit to play on a private course that's truly spectacular.

On the flipside, I've also played on a private course that was on a disc golf course in Melbourne, Australia. Since it was a golf course, it was in immaculate condition, and had some surprising elevation changes in it. I think it was $5 a round, but we just paid $5 and played 3 rounds :).
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby black udder » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:04 pm

Pay to play also has a disadvantage in that you need somebody to take the money. We have a couple courses in parks and I'm about 98% sure that if you put up a donation box, it'd be hacked open and robbed daily.

The courses themselves are both great and pretty well kept by the local disc golf community, but the surrounding area isn't the best.

I'd be willing to contribute an annual fee, but it'd be too much daily.

The course in NOVA is pay to play and they have a building with folks inside that manage the pro shop, the park and take money for DG rounds. It's not a bad deal $3 or $5 for a day. Same in Charlottesville, you have to pay to get into the park, but you can play all you like.

I don't mind contributing to DG, but would want to see something in return for it. I think it'd be real easy for some courses to charge and not do anything to the course. Or, even worse, charge for the course and let the DG community care for it while nothing is done by those collecting fees (i.e. the City).

At the most basic level, one of the biggest lures for DG is that you can play for months or years for $7 (for a rec player). One disc and they're off. I know of several folks that work near a course and go play a round at lunch. I don't know if having to pay would be encouraging to newbies just learning. Although it's sooo much less than ball golf, it's still more investment to steer them away.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Next

Return to General Discussion