Pay to play

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby RustyP » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:59 pm

Yeah, that was Keohana I was talking about.

I just dont know many disc golfers who have enough disposable income to spend $1K a year just for one course.

I agree, though, that it's a good direction for the sport to be heading in...but it still sucks to think that certain courses could be off-limits to some just because they couldnt afford the membership fees.
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby WhtSx2005 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:53 pm

Also, disc golf demographics are not much different than ball golf. You'd be surprised. The stats are on the PDGA site, but I'm not sure where. You think ball golf, you think a CEO hitting the links. You think disc golf, you think a stoner out getting his fix. Not the case though.

http://www.pdga.com/documents/2007/06demographics.pdf

agreed, household income surprised me a little...majority $50,000-$100,000
and 12% above $100,000
I haven't failed. I have found 10,000 ways that won't work. --Thomas A. Edison
WhtSx2005
Noob

Postby kvanorsdel » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:09 am

We have a pay-to-play course here in Madison that is $5 a day or you can get a yearly pass for $42 and $84 for a family. It is a great course and the money goes directly back into the course. Most of the diehard DGers in our area have a yearly membership because it is affordable and the nicest course in town.
kvanorsdel
Fairway Surgeon

Postby ryangwillim » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:12 am

That's Morley Field's situation. The only other course around AFAIK is Emerald Isle which is a Fly-18 course (baskets added to an existing ball golf course), which is also pay to play, and a little more expensive. So Morley pretty much has a monopoly on it.

The only problem with the Morley Field situation is that there are no free courses for it to compete with, i.e., no standard to hold it against. If there were a free course that wasn't maintained well, had all sorts of dog walkers and whatnot, and was overcrowded, then it would prove to be good justification for paying a little something for a better discing environment.

As it is, since Morley's the main show in town, it IS overcrowded and there isn't much you can do about it, just put up and shut up. Fortunately, they do maintain the course well, but without any kind of competition, they wouldn't have to do necessarily do that. Though for the amount of revenue they generate, I think they could improve the course a bit. For instance, when I went, most of their benches were pretty shoddy...made of plywood that was warped and chipping. For a course that's packed every day, with people constantly paying, they should make it pretty pimped out, IMO.

I live about 1/4 mile from Morley and don't play there very often. If you are a real dsc golfer and not just a college hack out to have fun drinking beers with 6 other friends then Morley can be very frustrating. It is VERY crowded.

The course itself is not bad, not stellar, but it would be enjoyable without the crowds. As is, you can expect to wait 5 minutes on every hole for the people in front of you to hole out, and that is on a weekday, weekends it can be much worse.

The bench situation has been remedied, though. They got new benches a couple years ago to replace the ones that were falling apart. Funny thing is that the course didn't really pay for the benches, they are sponsored by people or businesses.

Like I said, I live 1/4 mile from Morley Field, but if anyone asks me, I say that I am an Emerald Isle local, which is 35 miles north of me, but I play there more than the course I can walk to.
ryangwillim
Noob

Postby domromer » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:19 am

ryangwillim wrote:
That's Morley Field's situation. The only other course around AFAIK is Emerald Isle which is a Fly-18 course (baskets added to an existing ball golf course), which is also pay to play, and a little more expensive. So Morley pretty much has a monopoly on it.

The only problem with the Morley Field situation is that there are no free courses for it to compete with, i.e., no standard to hold it against. If there were a free course that wasn't maintained well, had all sorts of dog walkers and whatnot, and was overcrowded, then it would prove to be good justification for paying a little something for a better discing environment.

As it is, since Morley's the main show in town, it IS overcrowded and there isn't much you can do about it, just put up and shut up. Fortunately, they do maintain the course well, but without any kind of competition, they wouldn't have to do necessarily do that. Though for the amount of revenue they generate, I think they could improve the course a bit. For instance, when I went, most of their benches were pretty shoddy...made of plywood that was warped and chipping. For a course that's packed every day, with people constantly paying, they should make it pretty pimped out, IMO.

I live about 1/4 mile from Morley and don't play there very often. If you are a real dsc golfer and not just a college hack out to have fun drinking beers with 6 other friends then Morley can be very frustrating. It is VERY crowded.

The course itself is not bad, not stellar, but it would be enjoyable without the crowds. As is, you can expect to wait 5 minutes on every hole for the people in front of you to hole out, and that is on a weekday, weekends it can be much worse.

The bench situation has been remedied, though. They got new benches a couple years ago to replace the ones that were falling apart. Funny thing is that the course didn't really pay for the benches, they are sponsored by people or businesses.

Like I said, I live 1/4 mile from Morley Field, but if anyone asks me, I say that I am an Emerald Isle local, which is 35 miles north of me, but I play there more than the course I can walk to.

Holy shit, where is this course with the 5 minute wait??? :shock: :shock:
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby ryangwillim » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:21 am

Oh, and greens fees:

Morley:
$2.50 weekdays (all day)
$3.00 weekends (all day)

Emerald Isle:
$8.00 weekdays (one round, walking)
$12.00 weekends (one round, walking)
+$8.00 to add a cart
ryangwillim
Noob

Postby ryangwillim » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:22 am

Holy shit, where is this course with the 5 minute wait??? :shock: :shock:

San Diego.
ryangwillim
Noob

Postby roadkill » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:13 am

I would suspect that Morley Field is the busiest course on the planet.

I played there on a weeknight in Sept of 87. I couldn't get over the fact there was a foursome on nearly every hole. The other thing that I'll never get over was the sheer number of disc marks on trees near the green. The guardian trees had disc marks on virtually every square inch from the ground up to 15' high up on the trunk, the marks looked like bark colored wall paper.

I haven't been there since but considering how busy it was 20 years ago, I imagine it must really be ridiculous today.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby MDR_3000 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:46 am

When I was down in Austin a few years ago for the College National tournament...we decided to play a course, it was so busy it took us 2.5 hours to play 9 holes. After that we just said, "fuck it".
MDR_3000
I Throw Faaar

Postby black udder » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:49 am

that's really sort of bizarre - in 20 years, a really popular course and there aren't any others? You would think that more would have sprung up.

Perhaps that speaks to who is playing on the course - not a lot of DGers perhaps? Just rec players.

Funny how you have some DG courses in the smallest towns built by avid players, yet it seems there is a really thriving community there and only one course. Is it lack of space?
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby some call me...tim? » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:18 pm

Yeah, land is at such a premium in SoCal, and San Diego is a super hotspot. All the city parks that I saw around there when I was visiting were way too small for a course...like <1-2 acres.

I met a couple guys on a road trip from SD one time, and they said that they'd carry around hackey sacks most of the time to kick around while they waited on the holes at Morley.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby roadkill » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:30 pm

black udder wrote:that's really sort of bizarre - in 20 years, a really popular course and there aren't any others? You would think that more would have sprung up.

I'm not as familiar with San Diego, but I am very familiar with the second oldest basket course in existence, Sedgeley Woods in Philadelphia. Sedgeley was built in the early 70s and has had fairly heavy traffic since the days of midnight flyers. The majority of the traffic are locals that play weeknight doubles and weekend pro-ams but never play outside the city limits. Sedgeley is the only course within the city limits and easily accessed by public transportation for those not owning a car. It's hard for us suburbanities to fathom being without personal transportation but for many it is a way of life due to insane insurance rates and even more insane parking costs. The costs of owning a vehicle in the city rivals the cost of rent. So suburban courses don't really ease the volume of traffic since most urban dwellers can't easily get to them.

I suspect San Diego maybe a similiar case.
Last edited by roadkill on Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby TannerBoyle » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:10 pm

Tim_the_Enchanter wrote:Yeah, land is at such a premium in SoCal, and San

I met a couple guys on a road trip from SD one time, and they said that they'd carry around hackey sacks most of the time to kick around while they waited on the holes at Morley.

Damn hippies. Wait...nevermind.
TannerBoyle
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Star Wraith

Postby koronin » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:23 pm

I have 2 courses very close by to me that I go to regularly.

One is pretty nice, has great baskets, no trash, we maintained and the pin placements move from time to time, it's free.

The other is old, with very old Mach I targets that have shallow baskets, some of the spokes are broke on some, I've seen putters come out of the bottom, there's trash all over the place, the tee pads are horrible and the pin position is static, they charge $2/day

The only other PAY course that's even close to me (50km radius) is where they do the Virginia Open (La grange) and it's private w/$5 charge. Awesome place.
--

PDGA: 31525
Aces:
11/18/2006 - Burke Lake Park #5 (150 ch Leopard)
12/30/2006 - Pohick Virginia #17 (168 DX Stingray)
05/19/2007 - Burke Lake Park #1, Long (180 Ch Stingray)
koronin
Tree Magnet

Postby black udder » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:44 pm

too bad you can't play Gillies Creek & Dorey Park. Both free, fairly well maintained and Gillies has lots of basket/tee options since it's fairly open. Plus, the baskets are moved from time to time.

Both in Richmond, VA.

Are you playing in the VA Open? I'd like to play a few times before signing up, so maybe next year.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion