Pay to play

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Desafinado » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:19 pm

ryangwillim wrote:I live about 1/4 mile from Morley and don't play there very often. If you are a real dsc golfer and not just a college hack out to have fun drinking beers with 6 other friends then Morley can be very frustrating. It is VERY crowded.

The course itself is not bad, not stellar, but it would be enjoyable without the crowds. As is, you can expect to wait 5 minutes on every hole for the people in front of you to hole out, and that is on a weekday, weekends it can be much worse.

Ahh, Morley... I lived a mile from the course in 2002, and if you haven't been to a disc golf course with that much usage, it's hard to fathom.

The best was trying to play a round on a holiday weekend- I recall counting 24 players waiting on Hole 3 (7 groups total) at its very worst. It's too bad, because as you say, it's actually a pretty fun little course with good shot variety.

When I moved up to northern Cali, it was a fun transition from playing a course where every tee is packed to playing two rounds in a day and _maybe_ seeing one or two other groups, total.
Desafinado
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby domromer » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:49 pm

Thats my idea of golf hell, for ahwile i ued to play before work, 7am game everyday. it's so nice to play a round and not see anyone everyday. Plus I'd find a lot of discs being the first one on the course.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby mothrows » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:20 am

Not seeing many people on the course is part of the appeal of disc golf to me. I played Seymour Smith park in Omaha once and it seemed like it was raining plastic. It made for a pretty nervous rd.
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

Postby widewhale » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:52 am

I didn't read all the threads, so possibly someone mentioned this: For park board DG courses, why not a secure "suggested donation" box. If this was successful, it would be a great argument when proposing future DG courses to other park boards. Even if the suggested dnoation was $1, it would be worthwhile.

Como zoo in St Paul, MN, which has always been free, added such a box a few years ago, and it has been a major financial revelation for them.
widewhale
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: dx bb aviar

Postby black udder » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:06 pm

Specify "secure".

We had a mailbox with a padlock on it that was broken into in order to find out what was inside... we used it for lost discs.

It's a great suggestion for "good" neighborhoods, but in our area, the course is fine, but there just aren't enough people to keep thugs from vandalizing the course when nobody's around.

It's a shame.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby kvanorsdel » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:52 pm

black udder wrote:Specify "secure".

We had a mailbox with a padlock on it that was broken into in order to find out what was inside... we used it for lost discs.

It's a great suggestion for "good" neighborhoods, but in our area, the course is fine, but there just aren't enough people to keep thugs from vandalizing the course when nobody's around.

It's a shame.

At Token Creek and other pay to play courses here in WI I have seen them use 6" steel pipes that are anchored in cement with a small slot on them for "deposits" and a locked access cover on top. You would have to work very hard to break into one of these or have the right tools with you ie torch.
kvanorsdel
Fairway Surgeon

Postby widewhale » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:02 pm

kvanorsdel wrote:
black udder wrote:Specify "secure".

It's a shame.

At Token Creek and other pay to play courses here in WI I have seen them use 6" steel pipes that are anchored in cement with a small slot on them for "deposits" and a locked access cover on top. You would have to work very hard to break into one of these or have the right tools with you ie torch.

That sounds practical. If thieves do ruin one, it's easy and cheap to replace.
widewhale
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: dx bb aviar

Postby domromer » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:10 pm

They must be secure, all the forest service campground in AZ use them for self check-in.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby dhoyda » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:02 pm

I would pay a MAX of 15 for a day pass.

I live in Ohio where EVERYWHERE is free.

I also have a house in Myrtle Beach, SC, and the nearest place to play is 35 miles south of there, and 50 DOLLARS for 9 HOLES! It is rediculous
dhoyda
Noob

Postby domromer » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:35 pm

I'd be throwin at sand dunes before I parted with 50$ for 9 holes.

domromer
Plastic Fondler

Pay

Postby Will Aubrey » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:30 am

I would pay but the course would have to be fun. It would have to be player-friendly with good signage and benches. And it would have to be on good land not the scrub land most courses are forced to use.
Will Aubrey
Tree Magnet

Postby black udder » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:35 am

Myrtle Beach is an East coast vacation mecca. Everything is overpriced, so I wouldn't bet on a stellar course. Although, you would hope that since it's one of the best golfing areas, it would be... i just doubt it.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby TannerBoyle » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:13 am

dhoyda wrote:I would pay a MAX of 15 for a day pass.

I also have a house in Myrtle Beach, SC, and the nearest place to play is 35 miles south of there, and 50 DOLLARS for 9 HOLES! It is rediculous

For $50 there better be a 'happy ending' in it for me somewhere.
TannerBoyle
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Star Wraith

Postby koronin » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:20 pm

Yes, I'm also going to play in the Loriella Challenge too. Why wait a year? I've been playing DG since Summer 2006, not very long but I entered a tourney in December and did ok in the intermediate division. They're a lot of fun and you'll meet some of the best Disc golfers around in the Va Open, it's a big event.

:)

black udder wrote:too bad you can't play Gillies Creek & Dorey Park. Both free, fairly well maintained and Gillies has lots of basket/tee options since it's fairly open. Plus, the baskets are moved from time to time.

Both in Richmond, VA.

Are you playing in the VA Open? I'd like to play a few times before signing up, so maybe next year.
--

PDGA: 31525
Aces:
11/18/2006 - Burke Lake Park #5 (150 ch Leopard)
12/30/2006 - Pohick Virginia #17 (168 DX Stingray)
05/19/2007 - Burke Lake Park #1, Long (180 Ch Stingray)
koronin
Tree Magnet

Previous

Return to General Discussion