When is a Valkyrie longer than a Wraith?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

When is a Valkyrie longer than a Wraith?

Postby Aaron_D » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:36 pm

I know both are crazy long, but in my opinion valks just cant compete. Why then was the world record was set with a valk and the 2nd farthest set with the teebird?
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby PRES 10 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:45 pm

It might be because the wraith wasn't out when the record was set, i believe it was blake that said 16 of the 17 farthest recorded throws were on the same day in the same place. Also, alot of people like to hyzerflip, the valk may suite them better for this type of throw (myself included) Glide probably has something to do with it as well. if there was a tailwind, the valk is a much better choice.
Ion|Vector|Leopard|Firebird|Valkyrie|Katana
Soon the MVP Axis!
PRES 10
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: ION

Postby Aaron_D » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:51 pm

The wraith is a killer hyzerflip disc...and a broken in light wraith is considerably longer in a tailwind for me than a broken in light valk. I dont know...I know blake said the valk has some crazy things that happen to it when someone with over 400' of power gets a hold of it. I have right around that amount of D with my valks, but my wraiths I can put out at least 30' farther.
Last edited by Aaron_D on Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby PRES 10 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:54 pm

maybe the alltitude has to do with it?
Soon the MVP Axis!
PRES 10
Tree Magnet

Postby Aaron_D » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:55 pm

true. im at sealevel.

Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby PRES 10 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:57 pm

if you want a slightly more flippy dx wraith check out the z spectra, man i love that disc. its as fast as a wraith but a touch less hss, great for hyzerflips.
Soon the MVP Axis!
PRES 10
Tree Magnet

Postby presidio hills » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:20 pm

the wraith has more weight in the rim than a valk, i'm pretty sure, so it should behave more gyroscopic and thus fade sooner. maybe wraiths are better for golf distance though? and valks better on a distance line?
i run on lazer beans
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:33 am

I had a nice long answer to this question all ready. . . then the forum was down for a couple hours. :x presidio pretty much said the answer i had in much easier.
another way to think of it, is the wraith is faster, so once it is no longer moving fast enough to fly like a wraith, it will fade out.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:42 am

A Valk can be thrown on a much higher line and make use of the energy of the wind.

Record throws are most likely 80+ feet at their apex.

I do not see a Wraith being able to be thrown that high and then getting the nose down through the turn.

My guess is that "distance" as golfers know it, has little to do with distance record throwing.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby rehder » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:35 am

I agree, but as far as I understand it, golfers can learn a heck of a lot for golf throws if they understand/learn to throw high distance lines.
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby garublador » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:40 am

From what I understand, it also has a lot to do with how a disc fades. If you look at Blake's "Seeing the Lines - Distance Technique" article he mentions that the flex is normally about 10% of the distance of the throw. That means that if you don't have a disc that will flex right, you could lose quite bit of distance. My understanding is that the Wraith does not flex in the right way to maximize that distance.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:06 am

wraiths are very difficult to hold enough nose down with the turn for very long periods because of their speed and wing width.

the longest pro wraith throw i have seen was 601'. ~50-60' apex, 30-40 degree hyzer release

the longest dx valkyrie throw i have seen was 631'. ~70-80' apex, 80-90 degree hyzer release

the longest dx teebird throw i have seen was 551'. ~60-70' apex, 70-80 degree hyzer release

the longest z predator throw i have seen was 594'. ~70-80' apex, 70-80 degree anhyzer release

you have to remember that for a throw to go 800' on a hyzer flip, it needs to hold a turnover for ~650' or farther and still pick up 100' or more on the flex (anhyzers usually get a little more).

that is very hard to do. more hyzer = more lift during the flatten portion = higher nose down apex = towers longer = picks up more flex distance.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Aaron_D » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:46 pm

wouldnt a 630' valk throw need to be more than 10-20' higher than a wraith throw? When I throw for max D with valks the key seems to be extreme height as they turn to allow for the nose down turn and late flex. How far out was the flip with the wraith vs valk/teebird?

I only ask because I can throw my wraiths about 400' on a fairly low line (maybe 20') and was looking to try and increase my raw D with distance lines. Also, it is hard for me to throw left enough of center and harness the long pan from left to right (rhbh) with valks and is easier with wraiths because I aim closer to straight ahead. Im guessing body orientation would help, but are there any other tips for getting to 500'? It just seems like since the world record is over 800 and I can already throw over 400 after about a year of intense field practice I have a good chance of hitting these distances. My area has several courses and many holes are well over 400' with several over 600 and a sprinkling of 700+ footers so distance has always infatuated me.

Also, every time I practice in a field my right buttcheek is SO sore the next day...is this normal? No amount of stretching seems to help. This only happens when I throw dozens / hundreds of drives but the rest of my body is basically good to go...my arms are fine, my back is fine...but my right butt cheek is SO sore. I walk up many many flights of steps every day and they do not fatigue me or cause soreness. Im 5'11 190 and in pretty good shape.

Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

spectra

Postby twmccoy » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:03 pm

PRES 10 wrote:if you want a slightly more flippy dx wraith check out the z spectra, man i love that disc. its as fast as a wraith but a touch less hss, great for hyzerflips.

I could never get enough glide out of the spectra for it to beat a wraith. I love the speed and flippiness, but as soon as the spectra slows down it just crashes. It is longer downwind though. IMO a valk will fly as far as a wraith, but you have to get the line just right. I know I've thrown my star valk as far as any of my wraith throws-- just not as consistently.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:09 pm

Aaron_D wrote:Also, every time I practice in a field my right buttcheek is SO sore the next day...is this normal?

Jamming into the right side. Your hip could be stopping and not clearing.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Next

Return to General Discussion