When is a Valkyrie longer than a Wraith?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Aaron_D » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:04 pm

any ideas about how I would determine if this is the case? when you say jamming, do you mean during the follow through? at what point of the hip swing would be considered clearing?
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Bradley Walker » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:13 am

Aaron_D wrote:any ideas about how I would determine if this is the case? when you say jamming, do you mean during the follow through? at what point of the hip swing would be considered clearing?

I do not have any real good pictures of jamming (since most of the pros do not so this). Jamming is throwing the upper body into the right hip and leg. This leads to the right hip falling back and the leg straightening at an angle back away from the line of the throw. Look at Steve Rico.

In this position he is very close to being jammed.

Now compare the right hip "leading" lower body motion of Ken Climo.

Klimo moves his upper body through and past the right hip (while the right hip appears almost to fixed in space).

So, his right leg does not collapse and his hips do not fall back (which can lead to your right butt cheek being sore). He also has to come up off his trailing foot more in the "weight forward" position.

Mind you, Rico does "recover" from his jammed position. He moves his upper body around to the left and forward, keeping his upper body rotation "offset" to his lower body rotation with his waist bend. The final position is very "athletic", and although impressive, appears very difficult.

Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Previous

Return to General Discussion