I saw the future of DG today.

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

I saw the future of DG today.

Postby domromer » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:03 pm

I was playing a new course today when a bunch of kids walked up to me and started asking all kinds of questions. They had only been playing for 6 months and wanted to learn how to throw further. They were really nice kids so I ended up playing a round with them. the kids were ok. they were maxing out at 200ft, and really coudn't putt much, but they were having a great time. What really shocked me is that they could all throw, RHBH, LHBH, and side arm with both arms. No matter which way they did threw it was all the same. I ve never met anyone that could throw well all those different ways. The kids were 12 and 13, I imagine if they stick with it they will one day be pros.

Oh and they all had huge bags with tons of discs, there parents were super supportive and helped them earn money to buy discs.

I tried to explain to them that a star monster does not make a great putter but they wouldn't belive me.

Oh well. it's nice to see young kids so into it.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby Mr.SmOOOth » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:14 pm

Nice!! I get stoked to see kids like that out golfing! Makes me wish I would've started 10 years earlier.
"Are you talking to me on a cellular phone? I don't know you. Who is this? Don't come here! Prank caller! Prank caller!"
Mr.SmOOOth
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Z BUZZZ

Postby black udder » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:43 pm

that's awesome, but I don't need to see 13 year olds playing to make me wish I'd started 10 years earlier... I just have to play a round and look at my score. :(
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby domromer » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:50 pm

I would have killed to start when I was there age, it would have been so much fun. Kids that age are lucky to have so much easy access to the sport. it was great to see them having so much fun. There was no screaming or crying when they hit or tree or missed a putt, just really happy to be playing. I hope I run into them again, although I imagaine withing a year they'll be kicking my ass.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby Blake_T » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:01 pm

heh.

i saw 2 kids (probably age 13-16) out playing each carrying an id champ teebird + a bottle of gatorade.

the first one was a lefty and bombed this huge anhyzer on a hole and hit a tree guarding the basket about 50' off the ground... disc was turning and still was well from flexing out. i estimate the throw would have gone 440'+.

next one was a righty and bombed this huge hyzer and stalled it out at ~330' and had it come BACK to the basket which was around a 275' hole. the shot was obviously thrown intentionally that way.

it amused me.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Frontman311 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:42 pm

Blake_T wrote:heh.

i saw 2 kids (probably age 13-16) out playing each carrying an id champ teebird + a bottle of gatorade.

the first one was a lefty and bombed this huge anhyzer on a hole and hit a tree guarding the basket about 50' off the ground... disc was turning and still was well from flexing out. i estimate the throw would have gone 440'+.

next one was a righty and bombed this huge hyzer and stalled it out at ~330' and had it come BACK to the basket which was around a 275' hole. the shot was obviously thrown intentionally that way.

it amused me.

What Blake didn't mention was that the first shot was 40' short, but he jumped it with the bottle of Gatorade for the deuce.
Stay positive and love your life.
Frontman311
Tree Magnet

Postby cmrichar » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:47 pm

Frontman311 wrote:
What Blake didn't mention was that the first shot was 40' short, but he jumped it with the bottle of Gatorade for the deuce.

LOL, well you have to work with what you got sometimes.
cmrichar
Tree Magnet

Postby jiwaburst » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:05 am

I played a local today. Did OK, 5th of 14 with a couple of horrendous doubles on the last round which was the difference from 1st and 5th. Oh well.

But the amazing thing was watching this one "kid", 18 or so trying to throw an epic thumber on every fricking hole. A couple of times he did get it 380' or so, inluding one hole where we threw across a dry river an up to a basket on top on a bank 25 ft high. No one else's drive reached the top of the bank the whole day.

Of course the rest of his game was laughable and he didn't score very well. But man, just to watch that arm, made me wish I'd picked up this game 20 years earlier.

And two weeks ago the winner in our division was this 14 or 15 year old kid. Tiny guy, but fluid and explosive.

Oh well.
jiwaburst
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:23 am

i think most people got in too early if anything.

there still is no clearly defined training/coaching regimen, let alone a standardized method for teaching.

there is still no common sense when it comes to disc selection/recommendation in most scnearios.

a couple of things that have come to mind for me are that stuff like climo's 9 consecutive world championships... 100 years from now... will likely seem like cy young's 511 career wins.

i wonder if the 600'+ throw with a #2 hookshot will ever seem like babe ruth's 59 homers in the dead ball era.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Mr.SmOOOth » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:05 am

jiwaburst wrote:I played a local today. Did OK, 5th of 14 with a couple of horrendous doubles on the last round which was the difference from 1st and 5th. Oh well.

But the amazing thing was watching this one "kid", 18 or so trying to throw an epic thumber on every fricking hole. A couple of times he did get it 380' or so, inluding one hole where we threw across a dry river an up to a basket on top on a bank 25 ft high. No one else's drive reached the top of the bank the whole day.

Of course the rest of his game was laughable and he didn't score very well. But man, just to watch that arm, made me wish I'd picked up this game 20 years earlier.

And two weeks ago the winner in our division was this 14 or 15 year old kid. Tiny guy, but fluid and explosive.

Oh well.

Did you play Hanford today?
"Are you talking to me on a cellular phone? I don't know you. Who is this? Don't come here! Prank caller! Prank caller!"
Mr.SmOOOth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Frontman311 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:13 am

Blake_T wrote:let alone a standardized method for teaching

"Ask Blake" -standard enough for me.
Stay positive and love your life.
Frontman311
Tree Magnet

Postby jiwaburst » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:36 pm

Did you play Hanford today?

yep
jiwaburst
Tree Magnet

Postby Mr.SmOOOth » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:01 pm

I didn't go. I kinda like that course though. The next CVS I hit is gonna be Stockton. I won't get my 5 in.
Mr.SmOOOth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jiwaburst » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:43 am

I liked Kevin's layout a lot. There were tons of birdie holes, but lots of trouble to get into too. First time playing there in Hanford.

I saw a lot of 4s and 5s, and some 6s, There was a nasty 8 and a 10 that affected the outcome of the standings. But there are so many biride holes too. Really dramatic swings can and did happen on that course. Fun.

I wonder how it will play when he does the permanent 18 there, having to play futher away from the river and picnic areas and such.
jiwaburst
Tree Magnet

Return to General Discussion