disc golf lessons or training?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

disc golf lessons or training?

Postby short drive » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:15 pm

does anyone know where to get disc golf lessons or training on dvd?
short drive
Noob

Postby Terrence » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:18 pm

Your best training will come from reading the really awesome instructional articles on this website and many hours of practice in a vacant soccer field. After that, go back and read some articles again, then throw some more in the field!

http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/articles.shtml
DX Teebird - Star Teebird - Pro Wraith - 4X JK Pro Valkyrie - 150g ESP Flick - DGA Tsunami
1st Run Star Cro - 5 bar stamp DX Rocs - 2004 Champ Roc
3 DX Aviars - KC Pro Aviar
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby short drive » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:30 pm

i read the instructional articles on here and i tried all the stuff and i went from 280 ft to 285 ft in the last 4 months i just dont get it.
short drive
Noob

Postby dgdave » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Scott stokely has some videos. i haven't seen them, but i saw him about 6 years ago when he was doing demos and that helped me understand how to get more distance and accuracy.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Scott stokely tapes

Postby short drive » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:53 pm

I tried the Scott stokely tapes befor use them i scored 10 under on my course after using i went to 5 over they don't help.
short drive
Noob

Postby some call me...tim? » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:02 pm

AFAIK, the Scott Stokely vids are the only instructional dvds out there right now. Blake is working on putting some together himself, but there's no ETA on that yet. If you go to the Discraft site, there are a couple little clips that have some helpful info, but nothing ground breaking. Best thing going right now is to read the articles on here, and watch tournament videos and try to see what the pros are doing correctly.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Scott stokely tapes

Postby Mark Brunner » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:08 pm

short drive wrote:I tried the Scott stokely tapes befor use them i scored 10 under on my course after using i went to 5 over they don't help.

If you couldn't gain anything from the scott stokely videos you really were not paying much attention. It probably has more to do with your inability to mimic someone just by watching them. You may need more of a one on one "lesson"

You also have to realize that getting better takes TIME!!! You will get worst before you get better. So you might just have thought hey quick fix but it wasn't... soooo maybe go back and spend a lot more time on it. MONTHS!
http://www.gdstour.com
Gateway Disc Sports!
Mark Brunner
Tree Magnet

Postby dgdave » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:25 pm

I second what Mark said. I thought I wasted an entire summer changing my grip and technique and when it finally clicked and I got my muscle memory down I realized I had gained about 50 to 75 feet on my drives, a ton more accuracy , putting much better and started shooting under par more consistantly. it was about a 4 or 5 month process. just be patient
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby black udder » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:40 pm

If you can get a video of yourself, you could post that here and ask for comments.

I think what you'll benefit from is identifying the weakspots in your throw. I'm going to assume that you're reasonably healthy and not too old and that throwing over 280 is not unreasonable. If that's true, then once you identify the problems, you can work on correcting them.

As the last two folks said, it does take time, and making changes will make your game worse for a period of time. Making adjustments in your throwing style will throw off your timing as well as make your throw inconsistent as you learn the new process. Until the muscle memory kicks in, then you won't be able to perform the same action everytime at full speed, therefore, you'll either get it right at full speed, slow down and get it right or miss something entirely - any of which could mean throwing high/low or off to one side or another.

Once you're throwing your new process without thinking, you can focus on accuracy and nose down stuff and improve your aim.

It does take time though.

I've found that watching the videos in the throw analysis section helps a lot. You can pause the video at certain spots to see just what they're doing.

Some things to keep in mind when practicing:

1) Keep your chest over your thighs, not leaning back.

2) Keep your weight forward when you throw

3) Keep your grip tight enough so the disc doesn't wobble, but not so tight that you are flexing tightly and have no flexibility in your wrist/forearm

4) Make sure the disc rips out of your hand on release and that you're not letting go of it early.

5) Make sure that when you throw, you are following through the throw with as much speed as you put into the throw before release. Basically, it's like martial arts, don't punch the object, punch through it. When you throw, don't plan on your release being your end point, plan on about 90 degrees past your release being your slowdown/ end point.

6) Pivot on your heel or toe at release so you don't twist your knee.

7) Reach back as far as is comfortable and keeps you balanced. Recently somebody mentioned it helped to reach out away from their left side (straight out) and pull in towards their right chest for the throw. That would be a little like a triangle with the thin point being your release point/rip.

8) Make sure the nose/front of the disc is pointing a little below level when you release the disc. If the nose is up, then the disc will shoot into the sky and fall off to the left very quickly. The closer you can keep the nose to down, the more the disc will react the way it's supposed to (which is usually, rise, flatten, then fade).

9) Make sure if you cross-step that you are closing your hips and then driving them open again for power. The cross step is used to begin the rotation and is the source of the power of uncoiling.

10) Rotate with your shoulders as fast as you can. By this I mean use the larger muscles to pull the smaller ones. By rotating your shoulders quickly, it will help you pull the disc across your chest faster and result in more speed and distance.

11) Pull the disc through close to the right side of your chest. It doesn't appear to be as important to have it close all the way through, as long as it's close on the right side and out through the rip.

12) After the rip, make sure that your arm stays on the same plane as you were throwing. If it's a hyzer, your arm will being low and end high, if it's an anhyzer, it'll begin high, end low. A flat shot would be level all the way through. If you start level, but end down, you will torque the disc and turn it over (called off-axis torque).

13) Remember to step and throw as smoothly as you can. The more in control you are, the more likely you are to have a controlled and accurate shot. This doesn't mean be slow, it just means be in control and not jerky. At the discgolftv. website, Barry Schultz has a small video on this subject.

14) Look at what disc you're throwing and how it should react. If you're throwing under 300', I don't believe throwing a wraith, surge, pulse, etc. is going to help you much since they are ultra fast discs meant for players throwing maximum distance. I'd look to the discs like Gazelle, XL, XS, cheetah, etc. There are many great golfers here who can recommend some discs here that might benefit your current game (if you have a bunch of the high speed discs). This also goes for a specific shot. Don't throw a crush because it's a distance disc if you have a long hole with a narrow fairway. It might serve you better to throw a midrange or putter a couple times and par than shoot for a birdie with the wrong disc.

Just about all of the above is opinion - most gleaned from this site and the generous golfers who donate their time and advice.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:05 am

the stokely vids are a great watch, but mabey not good for anything but basic instruction. They remind me of the kind of stuff me and my friends would have done after we got out of school when we had our hands on a video camera (except we did w/out the discs)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Weebl » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:42 am

black udder wrote:If you can get a video of yourself, you could post that here and ask for comments.

Some things to keep in mind when practicing:
Throwing a disc! Now, in 14 easy to remember steps!

I agree completely with the video thing though, I'm still working on getting a video up for the site to get feedback. It seems much more informative than the articles.
"When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a Frisbee"
-Dr. Stancil Johnson
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby AciDBatH666 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:54 am

I got the first Stokely video a little bit after it came out. I didnt need it, but figured why not. It wasnt really expensive so i said what the hell.
I had about 6 or 7 years of experience under my belt at the time. While I didn't really learn anything major from it, I picked up about 3-4 small things that really clicked in my head and made me realize things about my own form. I wouldnt say that I dropped a few strokes from it, but I did learn a couple of things about my own style of play that were brought up in the tape that helped me make small changes that made my game more consistent.

If you watched one of the vids and went from 10 under to 5 over, something is wrong. First of all, if you need instructional videos when you're shooting 10 under.....Something is definately wrong because thats a damn good score. You sure -10 is an average score for you at this course? If so It's gotta be one of those "Duece or Die" courses, where even on a REALLY REALLYL REALLLLLY bad day you'll come out with a par.

One thing I will say, if you are trying for distance and you are trying things from the Stokely videos, or any other videos, is that you're game will get worse before it gets better. Changing up your form is never going to get better first. As explained in earlier posts, you're muscle memory is getting totally thrown off, and you will have to do something new until it becomes consistant. But you have to stick with it. You can't just give up on proper form because one round went bad. It takes time, and persistence to get it into your muscle memory till it becomes second nature and a part of your natural form.

I went from about 320' to around 360' from 2 small pointers that Blake T. gave me from a quick little vid I made of me throwing. It didn't happen overnight, but After a couple of months I really noticed that extra 40'... And its consistent now.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Return to General Discussion