first tournament

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

first tournament

Postby speedcraz-3 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:27 pm

i'm 13 i can drive like 275'' ive gotten one ace, my putting needs some work and im fairley accurate with a midrange, I'm thinking about getting into some ameatuer tourneys within the next year or sooner, what are my chances guys, by the way i have almost five years of experiance, am i ready yet?
speedcraz-3
Noob

Favorite Disc: nuke

Re: first tournament

Postby Timko » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:48 pm

To quote board member Mark Ellis,

You don't start playing tournaments BECAUSE you are good. You start playing tournaments IN ORDER TO BECOME GOOD.

There are kids who are too young to have the patience or endurance to play. There are adults who lack the skill to keep up with tournament groups. Most players with basic skills and the desire to compete are ready for tournaments. It makes sense to start at local leagues then move to the smaller tournaments before tackling major events, both for seasoning and expense.

Skill doesn't mean much unless you can perform under pressure. There is only one way to learn how to handle pressure and that is to experience it. You have to pay your dues eventually. You might as well start now. It won't be any easier next month or next year.

Nothing will improve skill better or faster than regularly competing. Delaying tournaments just delays your progress.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby speedcraz-3 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:54 pm

thanks man, i really want to compete and I definitley see your point
speedcraz-3
Noob

Favorite Disc: nuke

Postby mickas » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:52 pm

hop into juniors or rec at a local c tier, or better yet jump into the competitive field by finding a local league, leagues are a great way to start playing competitively without driving far or paying too much. Leagues also introduce you to local players who would be more than happy to help you improve, have fun!
Destroyers | Predators | Eagles | Buzzz | Comets | Magnets

trades: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22441
mickas
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby eky8 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:42 pm

My son who is also 13 has been playing local leagues and local tourneys for the last 2 years. He plays junior division and probably has a similar skill set to yours. I don't play PDGA tourneys, because there aren't a lot where we live, so he hasn't either. But he loves to play in tourneys. I would encourage you play them. Just be prepared for the slower tourney play. Also you may find a lot of juniors aren't too familiar with the rules. Those have been his biggest complaints.
eky8
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The last one I dyed

Postby lipiakter » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:21 am

Nice.Keep going.
I m 24
lipiakter
Noob

Favorite Disc: Hard Disc

Return to General Discussion