manu info

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

manu info

Postby Smyith » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:31 pm

the one thing that i dislike most about descriptions of golf discs is that they dont show what the rim looks like. discrafts website is the only one that does. personally for drivers i base about 80% of my decision on the feel of the rim. i know what style rims that i like but when it comes to online ordering i'm hesitant to purchase a disc i have never felt before. taking it one step further would be to add demensions to the cross-sections. even if the online stores began do this that would be awesome like gottagogottathrow.com ('hint' hint').

just a suggestion.......lol
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:51 pm

discovering the world used to have a few profile cuts of discraft discs but that's all i really know of. nowadays most discs vary so much from run to run in their dome height that only about 1/3 of the profile views would be accurate (the dome height dictates the slant on the wing too with a few discs).

personally, i would edge you towards not caring what the rim feels like unless you have a severe physical problem (e.g. missing a finger, birth defect, etc.) that dictates what you can and cannot throw or they cause physical injury (cuts, severe blisters, etc.). i have had discs i downright hated the feel of but i learned to love the feel of them when i found myself way down the middle of the fairway again and again :P

btw, i agree with you it is a good idea, but not sure it'd be worthwhile for a non-manufacturer to cut apart 1 of every disc and take a picture of it just so others on the net could steal it too.

i also find looking at profiles often gives people the wrong kinds instincts/generalizations about discs. i see a lot of people that think domey = flippy... when if you've thrown any of the domey dx rocs you'll know they are mega overstable. have heard others say there's no way the wraith could be stable with that high of a dome when it is actually quite stable.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Smyith » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:24 pm

yea you have a great point. sorry if i offended you in any way none was intended.

as for the feel of the rim, my fingers can have a tendence to lock if in uncomfortable position and i can tell if im gonna be able to release the disc well. this turns out to be true for myself about 90% of the time.

anyway once again sorry
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:46 pm

i'm not offended.

i was more worried you would be offended when i said something shouldn't matter that does matter for you.

the main thing is that placing a limit on what discs you are willing to throw hinders you. i cannot putt well with soft putters. if i could maintain the same stroke/release with them i probably would to reduce roll-aways, but alas, i cannot as their structural rigidity gets compromised with a quick motion that is more forward than upward.

keeping in mind that the disc should rip from the hand, what types of shapes/discs do you dislike?
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to General Discussion