GDS Tour Practice chart???

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

GDS Tour Practice chart???

Postby keltik » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:52 am

I stumbled upon this today and wanted to know what the rest of DGR thinks about this. I searched and nothing came up.
First link is the chart itself and the second link is the explanation.

http://gdstour.com/documents_2011/practice_chart.pdf
http://gdstour.com/documents_2011/practice_chart.jpg

I think it's kinda neat.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Re: GDS Tour Practice chart???

Postby Smyith » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:13 am

its nice and useful but....

1)the drive distance of 320 is a bit arbitrary. i would think that you would want to leave the blank based on the individuals concept of short and long game. also with the upshot distnce. i personally at about 60-80' start putt-jumping, and i think many do at this range. so its basically did you putt-jump or not.
2) it only has drive and upshot? what about those 600+ holes. most of us take 2, maybe 3, shots to get up there./ this doesnt account for it, and writing it in will cause clutter and inaccuracy in analysis.
3) you have all the nice boxes for everything else but your score. so you just write it sloppily on next to the whole number. once again causing clutter.
4) no spots for environmental factors

basically i think its too simplified and generic to be truly useful for game analysis. the idea is great but needs to be expanded upon. also you can fit 3 of these on 1 piece of paper. id rather have 1 form on that piece of paper with more detailed analysis and room to but environmental factors in there. since that is apart of analyzing ones game as well.
OrionLF-Vulcan-Destroyer-Leopard-Ontario-Rancho-Rhyno-Aviar
***Always looking for 1.1 Sirius Orion LFs (SOLF)-will pay $$$ or trade***
Need Air/Water filters or HVAC service/supply?
ApprovedComfort.com - Servicing the Greater Chicagoland Area and more
AllKindsofFilters.com - Use code 'discgolf' to receive a special discount
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:35 am

It came up once before a few years ago. I think it has limited usefulness.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby dehaas » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:11 pm

something like this would be pretty sweet on a smartphone app. that way you could enter info in as you play the round, and afterwards you could submit your info and check it online at the house and get a tailored breakdown on strengths and weaknesses. you'd have to get a lot more in depth than those scorecards though.
dehaas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: wizard

Postby keltik » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:37 pm

smyith I agree with most all of your points. I was interested to see someones take on the 320' drive. I don't agree about the environmental factors. I think the drive and upshot curves cover that. managing the environment is all about hitting lines/spots.

Frank don't get all prepube on me :P I said I did a search.

dehaas I completely agree that an app would be cool. I think it would work well in tandem with a regular program that would do the mathmatical analysis.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:02 pm

I just meant it came up before not that you didn't search for it. It's still pretty limited in it's usefulness.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Smyith » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:30 pm

also, 5) they didnt put a spot for rollers on there.

keltik wrote:smyith I agree with most all of your points. I was interested to see someones take on the 320' drive. I don't agree about the environmental factors. I think the drive and upshot curves cover that. managing the environment is all about hitting lines/spots.

since i only know my game best ill use myself as an example. when its windy out my drives become far more accurate then when it not windy out. (i would equate this due to the fact that the overwhelming majority of my actual play time has had wind as a key factor). some of my best rated rounds were in the wind. now at the same time, i also know that i have a lower percentage of making tailwind putts then i do headwind putts.however, my mid range game tends to suffer a lil in the wind. when its not windy my drives arent quite as good but my midrange improves and my putting percentage goes up drastically.

lets take a less obvious factor into account, the grass. mowed vs unmowed, and to go with that short or long. dry grass vs wet grass. even the type of grass plays a factor. whats so important about grass your thinking? well, i would hope skips would be the first to come to mind followed by traction and roller effects. on real dry grass its possible to get 50'+ skips, and if your good at them you can really use that to your advantage. wet grass and type matter as well. some wet grass is sticky and some is skippy. it also matters for how a disc will roll across it. some grass even if short cause more friction then other types (why balf is so nuts about the type of grass on their courses).

theres a numerous amount of environmental factors that come into play constantly. whether or not you are aware of them is the real question. and knowing about those factors can be advantageous or even disadvantageous. afterall ignorance is bliss qft
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby keltik » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:43 pm

You provide valid and detailed points (respect) but I still don't agree. I'm starting to see this chart in its current form as a tool more for beginning to intermediate players. This chart looks at fundamentals and takes focus away from distance and puts it on the strategic advancement of the disc down the course. If you have the wherewithal to consider how grass moisture affects skip and roll distance then you probably don't need a chart like this to help develop your game. What you are describing appears to be a systematic approach to course management in preparation for a tournament. This is also a good situation for a chart.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Smyith » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:09 pm

i enjoy over analyzing it keeps the continued interest.
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby himynameismatt » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:47 am

Used it for a couple rounds. Spent too much time filling out that card and not playing disc golf. I think some good field work is a much better alternative.
Wizard - Buzzz - Predator - TD - PD - Destroyer
himynameismatt
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard/Buzzz/PD

Postby keltik » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:20 am

himynameismatt wrote:Used it for a couple rounds. Spent too much time filling out that card and not playing disc golf. I think some good field work is a much better alternative.

do you think it would have served better if you had filled out the card every 6 holes or something like that?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby himynameismatt » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:49 am

Maybe. But I play my home course enough to know which type of shots I need to work on when I go to the field.
Wizard - Buzzz - Predator - TD - PD - Destroyer
himynameismatt
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard/Buzzz/PD

Postby keltik » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:27 pm

himynameismatt wrote:Maybe. But I play my home course enough to know which type of shots I need to work on when I go to the field.

also valid. I guess so far this "tool" is considered useless by most.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Return to General Discussion