Humidity, your opinion please

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Humidity, your opinion please

Postby SouthernGolf » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:03 am

I live in Mississippi and in my town as well as about a 30 mile radius we have over 10 courses which is really nice. Throughout my time playing I've always heard some of the better guys discussing the fact humidity tears our distance down.

Now before I get the "pussy" comments let me state that if you have lived your entire life in the north and have never experienced 90% humidity with 98F temps you might not can relate to this. I can imagine the air up north being very dry and "fresh", or atleast that's what I dream lol

Do y'all think that playing in a sauna( literally start sweating and increasing respirations on the way to 1st teebox) really plays that big of a factor?

I'm sure the pros down here( we dont play usdg, some sort of southen nationals somebody) have been able to adjust but for the average weekly flip-up guy, do you think it could make a noticeable difference in distance/fatigue/grip?

Do you think the "birdie bag" would do any good or just leave a paste on our hands lol no matter how much I wipe them off they're always sweaty
SouthernGolf
Noob

Favorite Disc: Omega SS P&A

Re: Humidity, your opinion please

Postby Aubin » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:07 am

when it gets really humid up here, I do notice a drop in distance for both driving and putting (low putts). Not sure if it's the actual air/water humidity levels, or just being really exhausted. Probably a little of both.

I do know that discs fly more stable when it's raining so it stands to reason that high humidity would also make things drop out of the sky a little faster.
ChallengerMagnetCometTeebirdsDestroyersPredator
Aubin
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: APX

Postby Amateur » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:49 pm

Humidity is pretty serious. I carry an extra towel just to keep my hands dry. This in conjunction with a birdie bag/some dirt on the ground will help a ton. Wristbands do a good job keeping your arm sweat from reaching your hands. Sorry to burst your bubble about the North, but I'm in IL next to the mighty Mississip and we have the same heat and humidity. Conversely my sister lives in Texas and bitches about 30% humidity.

Pussy! :mrgreen:
PD - Valkyrie - Buzzz - Challenger
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby AciDBatH666 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:21 pm

Humidity sucks balls. I too play in the Southern Nationals down here and man, it takes a lot out on you. People who've never been down here don't realize that you break a sweat just walking outside to your car. I went to talk to this kid the other day who's interested in buying my motorcycle. I had to wipe my forehead from just a 15 second walk from my front door to my bike.

As far as playing, I don't really play too much any more. The humidity is one of the reasons. I have a birdie bag, but I find that just having a nice shammy strapped to my bag helps a lot.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby pietrocrespi » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:51 pm

Humidity does indeed suck,this summer has been brutal in Georgia,I tend to try and play around 7PM or so,that way instead of only an ocean of sweat,I have a large pond.
pietrocrespi
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby SouthernGolf » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:25 pm

6 has been our best time. we play with a large group and have a 20 hole course near. thanks for the opinions guys. its nice to know i might be playing better in the fall
SouthernGolf
Noob

Postby mickas » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:19 am

SouthernGolf wrote:I live in Mississippi and in my town as well as about a 30 mile radius we have over 10 courses which is really nice. Throughout my time playing I've always heard some of the better guys discussing the fact humidity tears our distance down.

Now before I get the "pussy" comments let me state that if you have lived your entire life in the north and have never experienced 90% humidity with 98F temps you might not can relate to this. I can imagine the air up north being very dry and "fresh", or atleast that's what I dream lol

Do y'all think that playing in a sauna( literally start sweating and increasing respirations on the way to 1st teebox) really plays that big of a factor?

I'm sure the pros down here( we dont play usdg, some sort of southen nationals somebody) have been able to adjust but for the average weekly flip-up guy, do you think it could make a noticeable difference in distance/fatigue/grip?

Do you think the "birdie bag" would do any good or just leave a paste on our hands lol no matter how much I wipe them off they're always sweaty

what is this relief of humidity you speak of? Up here in Wisconsin we get over 95% humidity all the time with 95+ degree weather, and then don't even get me started on winter.
Destroyers | Predators | Eagles | Buzzz | Comets | Magnets

trades: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22441
mickas
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby AciDBatH666 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:49 am

mickas wrote:what is this relief of humidity you speak of? Up here in Wisconsin we get over 95% humidity all the time with 95+ degree weather, and then don't even get me started on winter.

Trust me, it's definitely not the same. Our whole southern area is a Subtropic zone. The archetypal humid subtropical climate is best exemplified by the American Deep South, because the summers are long and almost tropical. Louisiana has a humid subtropical climate, perhaps the most "classic" example of a humid subtropical climate of all the Southcentral states, with long, hot, humid summers and short, mild winters. The subtropical characteristics of the state are due in large part to the influence of the Gulf of Mexico.

The humidity here in LA and in the other states on the gulf regularly get humidity in the 95-100% range. And even tho the numbers might be similar to your 95% and 95°+, I can guarantee it's not the same. I've had friends fly down from Iowa for a wedding and the first thing they complain about is how thick the air is and how they feel smothered. Just walking out of the airport you feel it hit you.
I've been up north and experienced their version of "humidity", and it's like comparing apples to oranges.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby SouthernGolf » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:58 am

La is effin HOT. No doubt. And we don't just have a few days or weeks of heat. We have about 6+ mo. On average. Now winters are an entirely different story. I know I cannot relate. 12F is pretty dam cold to us :)
SouthernGolf
Noob

Postby 7ontheline » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:43 pm

I use a microfiber towel before every shot and for 30 seconds my hands are completely dry ... shut up and throw thinking about it only makes it feel worse. :wink: Memphis
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby SouthernGolf » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:03 pm

7ontheline wrote:I use a microfiber towel before every shot and for 30 seconds my hands are completely dry ... shut up and throw thinking about it only makes it feel worse. :wink: Memphis

Hell ya man I live in Southaven. I play the forest and bud hill all the time. Johnson road when it's not windy and not so much Shelby farms. Where do u play around here?
SouthernGolf
Noob

Postby 7ontheline » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:25 pm

Shebly Forest most of the time, then the Farms, Hill, and occasionally Johnson Road Park and Central Park. By the way JRP rocks in gail force winds out of the SW, think #16.

Back on stupid topic: I've played competitive Ultimate for 20 years all around the Mid-South and New Orleans followed by Jackson, MS, Memphis and Atlanta sucks too. This bitch is out. BTW welcome neighbor. I hope you learn as much here about DG as I have, please excuse my bitter sweaty rants.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Postby SouthernGolf » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:19 am

lol if i could play central park and keep it at or under par i wouldnt be on tis web site :lol:

on a funnier note hole 16 johnson road, i've forehanded an ape for birdie twice, and twice had it completely turn over and dive in the middle of the lake....but FLOAT both times....bizarre. my friend couldn't believe it because it entered water at a ninety degree angle. i took off running down the hill, strippin socks and shoes in the process and dove out and swam for them, only to be bitched out by snobby collierville/german town people.

if your ever in horn lake at latimer send me a message on here. i'm always happy to play with new people who know a few things.

a group of us might be going sunday to the hill. not sure though
SouthernGolf
Noob

Postby 7ontheline » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:27 pm

I played 36 today at Shelby Forest and then two hours of field work at Overton Park. One small microfiber golf towel and a gallon of water and all is well. I was 203.2 this morning and 197.8 on the scale ten minutes ago. Shut up and throw bitches!

SouthernGolf, When you get to the point that you can shoot down at Central Park, please don't leave this forum. Stick around a little while and help a brotha out, would you? Keep playing with some of the pros at the Hill and they'll help get you there faster. Mr. Daniels owns Bud Hill and his 15 year old grandson Trey won Am Nationals Intermediate at Bowling Green this year. I also heard the young man threw a Vulcan 549' during the distance contest. Not bad at a 130 pounds... it aint about muscle mass.

For anyone who hasn't been to Memphis, BUD HILL ROCS!

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Mark Ellis » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:56 pm

The worst of summer is upon us: Heat, humidity, bugs and poison ivy. At least the conditions have kept the casuals mostly away.

A few days ago it was really hot and humid-just obnoxious. After the round I visited a party store and pulled a bill out of my pocket to pay the clerk. The clerk looked at the bill and said, "Oh, so you have been swimming."

Yeah, only in my own sweat but I didn't mention that.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Next

Return to General Discussion