Humidity, your opinion please

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Humidity, your opinion please

Postby rusch_bag » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:02 pm

AciDBatH666 wrote:
mickas wrote:what is this relief of humidity you speak of? Up here in Wisconsin we get over 95% humidity all the time with 95+ degree weather, and then don't even get me started on winter.

Trust me, it's definitely not the same. Our whole southern area is a Subtropic zone. The archetypal humid subtropical climate is best exemplified by the American Deep South, because the summers are long and almost tropical. Louisiana has a humid subtropical climate, perhaps the most "classic" example of a humid subtropical climate of all the Southcentral states, with long, hot, humid summers and short, mild winters. The subtropical characteristics of the state are due in large part to the influence of the Gulf of Mexico.

The humidity here in LA and in the other states on the gulf regularly get humidity in the 95-100% range. And even tho the numbers might be similar to your 95% and 95°+, I can guarantee it's not the same. I've had friends fly down from Iowa for a wedding and the first thing they complain about is how thick the air is and how they feel smothered. Just walking out of the airport you feel it hit you.
I've been up north and experienced their version of "humidity", and it's like comparing apples to oranges.

It doesn't work like that. Humidity is humidity. 90% humidity is the same wherever you are and it blows dick up here right now. I will admit you guys probably do have more days like this than we do, but it can suck just as much up here.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby SouthernGolf » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:44 pm

My parents just moved to Iowa a month ago and said the humidity was welcome comparably. I have a hard to comprehending that humidity is the same in the north as it is in the south, even though the numbers match. It makes sense that it would be the same but I have Close relatives saying it's not even close. And the fact someone in the north might think it is is probably because they've been conditioned to that weather. Whereas someone who experiences what they consider "intense" humidity(90-100%) in the north comes down to the deep south and the humidity of the same "intense"(90-100%) have them gasping for a breath of full air.
SouthernGolf
Noob

Favorite Disc: Omega SS P&A

Postby BrotherDave » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:20 pm

You guys just aren't acclimated. I feel bad for the A/C generation. If you want to get used to heat and humidity the easiest thing to do is get up really early in the morning and stay outside as much as possible. When you feel the heat and humidity rise your body adjusts to it a lot better than just hiding indoors until 10-11 am.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby SouthernGolf » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:29 pm

BrotherDave wrote:You guys just aren't acclimated. I feel bad for the A/C generation. If you want to get used to heat and humidity the easiest thing to do is get up really early in the morning and stay outside as much as possible. When you feel the heat and humidity rise your body adjusts to it a lot better than just hiding indoors until 10-11 am.

Haha 150% true.

The only issue is that your body doesn't adjust freely. In this weather it takes an enormous amount of calories, water(electrolyte enriched if your lucky) and shade to stay "playable" a full 18. However, the more you play in it the better it does become. Playing 36 is out of the question unless there's an overcast lol
SouthernGolf
Noob

Favorite Disc: Omega SS P&A

Previous

Return to General Discussion