Grant to build a new course: Finalist!

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Grant to build a new course: Finalist!

Postby Itchy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:53 pm

My home town used to have one 9 hole course on private land. That land was sold and the public is no longer welcome.

Myself, local disc golfers and local military veterans are getting together with Parks & Recs to make a free to play 9 hole course in town and would really appreciate it if you guys could all help vote for us to get this Pepsi Refresh Project grant.

The way I understand it, you can vote once (twice if you do it online and also do a text) a day until the end of the month.

Thank you very much for helping out.

http://www.refresheverything.com/promoting-better-health-through-disc-golf
Last edited by Itchy on Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Re: Begging for votes to build a new course

Postby new013 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:38 pm

done
"F*ck... here comes that guy New013."
new013
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TL

Postby Itchy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:19 pm

Thanks new013!

Every vote helps. :D
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby new013 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:00 am

how many you up to man? ...and have you posted this over on dgcr?
"F*ck... here comes that guy New013."
new013
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TL

Postby Itchy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:27 am

We're currently #45, but need to break into the top 20 to get a grant. Really need everybody to vote every day, and I've put a link to vote in my sig to gently remind everyone to vote every day during the month of August (end of voting was moved from the 20th to the 31st).

Please vote here:

Here's the leaderboard, we're in the $5K bracket:
http://www.refresheverything.com/leaderboard

This is a real proposal. I've had sit down meetings with both the Director of Parks & Recs and the Manager of Parks & Recs for my town. Both are 100% on board with the project, but we need funding before we can take it to Council. I'm told with the proposal and funding it's a shoe-in.

Please help me spread the word around for people to vote for this. You can vote once with your Facebook log-in and once with a text message "Text 107762 to Pepsi (73774) to vote from your mobile."

To view my proposal, please see this link:
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0Bxn5-Pyyb_WHZjk3MjA5OWUtNzg3OC00ZDcxLWI2Y2QtYWExYzNjZTUxOTIy&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

I do not have an account at DGCR, new013 if you could post this over there I'd really appreciate it.
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Itchy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:37 am

Oh, and if Mr. Ellis is around, maybe he'd pass the link to vote around Discraft. We want to use Chainstar baskets, so it'd be more business for them.
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Itchy » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:43 am

Did a little experiment yesterday. The Pepsi Refresh Project has something called, "Power Votes," that let you vote more than once a day. I had lunch at Quiznos and noticed they had the specially marked bottles for power voting so me and the family got those.

We went from #47 to #20 in one day on about 250 Power Votes.

That tells me this race is very close so very few votes can bump you up fast. I'm NOT asking anybody to go buy Pepsi, but I'm pretty sure we have 250 regulars and lurkers who, if they voted every day, could give us the same bump.

Right now we're in the top 20 to receive a grant, but there are 3 more weeks of voting.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE vote everyday to keep us up there to get this grant. My small town has zero money for projects like this and it'll only happen with a grant. Again, Parks & Recs have already approved the project, we just need funding.

Please vote and thanks to everyone who does.
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Itchy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:40 pm

Been quiet in here... thought I might bump this topic to remind anybody with a Facebook account to vote.

If you don't have Facebook, you can still vote by texting 107762 to Pepsi (73774) from your cellphone, if you have free texting.

OK, time to get out my violin. I went to my local recycling center today and fished 17 caps out of the bottle cap bucket/ashtray. They were worth 260 votes and bumped us up from #23 to #19 in the voting. Top 20 get a grant. If we all just get in one free vote a day we have a chance to get some free money and expand the sport a little.

Please vote.
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Itchy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:45 am

Friendly reminder to vote at http://www.refresheverything.com/promoting-better-health-through-disc-golf or by texting 107762 to Pepsi (73774) to vote from your cellphone. You can vote up to twice a day.

It's half way through the month and we're currently just barely in the top 20 at #19. Keep the push on and thanks to everyone who's been supporting this project by voting!
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Itchy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:33 am

Just over a week left to go.

You can vote at http://www.refresheverything.com/promoting-better-health-through-disc-golf or by texting 107762 to Pepsi (73774) to vote from your cellphone. You can vote up to twice a day.

This past week we've been as high as #13 and we're currently #17. Top 20 get a grant.

As always, thanks for voting and hopefully we get this money to help promote the sport.
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Itchy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:43 am

Slipped one more this morning; we're down to #18. Every vote helps and I'd like to thank everyone who is voting to keep this grant idea in the top 20.

Click, "Vote for this idea," at the top right. Or vote by texting 107762 to Pepsi (73774) to vote from your cellphone. If you would Like or twitter it, that'd be awesome too.

If any of you are Pepsi drinkers and have power vote codes on your 2 liter bottles, 20 ounce bottles, 12, 20 or 24-can packs that they aren't using and wouldn't mind PMing to me, that's super awesome too. I've personally dumpster dived about 2,300 power votes out of my local recycling center's garbage this month. I'd hate for that to have been a waste.

Thanks again for the support everyone.
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Itchy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:04 pm

Finally made the paper today.
http://www.lompocrecord.com/news/local/article_fab7f7f6-cedf-11e0-95dc-001cc4c002e0.html

Hopefully that brings in more votes. Also, we've gone back up to #16 in the stands so I'd like to give a very big thank you for everyone helping to vote all month and for the big push at the end. There are seven days of voting left and a lot of jostling for position is still going on.

Thanks again for all the support.
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Itchy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:01 pm

Last 3 days of voting. We've been holding pretty tight at #18 over the last few days; top 20 get a grant. Also had a meeting with the Manager of my local Parks & Recs last week. We walked the course. She likes it and told the Director of P&R to green light it for council as soon as we have funding.

Thanks again for all the votes.

-or-

Text 107762 to Pepsi (73774) to vote from your cell phone.

If you drink pepsi and don't want to make a pepsi account to power vote, PM me and I'll gladly use them for you.

Thanks one more time for all the support you guys have given me all month.
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Itchy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:59 pm

It's the last day of voting for funding for the new disc golf course.

and
text 107762 to Pepsi (73774) to vote from your cell phone.

Voting ends at midnight Eastern, 9PM Pacific August 31st.

We're currently #17 and top 20 get a grant. I'm expecting the projects just out of a grant will put on a big push at the end today, so I'm hoping we can counter and stay up in the top 20. Thanks again to everyone's who's been voting and supporting this all month. Monday when I came here and asked for extra votes we bumped from #18 to #16, so I know we've got people in here voting and helping out.

Thanks one more time... hopefully in a few months I can post pictures of the new course!
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Itchy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:28 am

A huge thank you to this entire community who helped make this project a finalist for a grant! They audit the votes to make sure we didn't cheat, then announce grants. Should know Sept 23rd if we get the money.

SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Next

Return to General Discussion