Pro Worlds is ramping up...

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Pro Worlds is ramping up...

Postby Wyno » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:00 am

Sounds right, except I think the buzz was a Wasp :-)
Mark Ellis wrote:Most sins can be erased with a blunt edged disc.

Main Bag: Z Surge SS, Z Pred, N Volt, E Vector, N Axis, P Ion, P Anode. Touch bag: XLs, Comets, Rattlers
Wyno
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Anode

Postby JHern » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:16 am

keltik wrote:looking at the scores I see that Des Reading was doing very well but dropped out after 2 rounds. did she get injured? and Feldberg finished top ten even with an itchy bean bag. Nikko finished top 5. Are we sure those guys really got caught in the poison?

Unfortunately, Des was injured, and unable to complete the tournament.

Yes, Feldberg and Nikko were in the poison oak. When my wife and I were running the doubles event, Dave was in such agony that I asked my wife to run to the pharmacy and grab something stronger than tecnu. The next day he went to the hospital to get a shot.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby martinb » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:15 pm

id love to know just how many players did get poison oak.... count me in. the stuff was unavoidable, and thats no slam to the organizers and volunteers who got the courses ready, hats off to those top players who ground out their rounds in those conditions. mine isnt that bad..... :(
Play Disc Golf
martinb
Noob

Favorite Disc: putter

Postby JHern » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:24 pm

martinb wrote:id love to know just how many players did get poison oak.... count me in. the stuff was unavoidable, and thats no slam to the organizers and volunteers who got the courses ready, hats off to those top players who ground out their rounds in those conditions. mine isnt that bad..... :(

Yeah, its a fact of life out here whenever you stray off the fairway. PO is native, and its root structures are robust and difficult to pull completely. Once you become an expert on the local plants, it is super easy to spot PO and avoid getting a lot of exposure. Its when folks don't know which plant is which, and go right into a juicy thicket, that things get bad.

Still, Feldberg knows PO...he told me that he never has problems with the PO in Oregon, and wasn't afraid to wade into it. So he was surprised that he had such a strong reaction here in Cali.

Anyways, we have the 2 meter rule (it was funny to see people whine about that!). We don't have short tees (world champions aren't bred from sissy tees). And we have poison oak, stinging nettles, and even nastier stuff off the fairways. That's the essence of California disc golf. Uncompromising challenge.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
JHern

Postby jsun3thousand » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:41 pm

i learned about stinging nettles when i first moved to kansas. i can wade through poison ivy all day, unless i have bug bites, but i need my mommy when it comes to stinging nettles.
Scooot_er wrote:And disc golfers aren't always the smartest bunch.
jsun3thousand
wants to be the president of the don zimmer memorial charity foundation of america inc

Favorite Disc: #63

Postby veganray » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:22 am

Did you know that stinging nettles, besides being a painful nuisance plant, are awesome to eat? Heat/moisture (or drying) denature the barbs that deliver the sting & they taste great. I used to forage them all the time when I was a field archaeologist, then blanch & saute them with pasta, sorrel (also foraged), garlic, & lemon. Deelish!
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby keltik » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:56 am

Any more news on what happened to Climo? I know everyone thinks he is irrelevant now but he is still a living legend. Will this affect his career enough to where he'll start playing Masters from now on? O.o
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JHern » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:07 pm

keltik wrote:Any more news on what happened to Climo? I know everyone thinks he is irrelevant now but he is still a living legend. Will this affect his career enough to where he'll start playing Masters from now on? O.o

The Champ injured his arm while on a 2 day rowing trip in Florida. He just rowed too hard, and had too much fun. He was certain that he'll recover, but he needed a little more time before throwing a tournament since he didn't want to do even worse damage. It was a smart move. He says he never competes in Masters, and has no plans to do so. But a sign of getting older is when you start to get injuries in cases where you never would have been hurt previously. I'm sure he knows it. The poor guy was bummed out. At least he got to try and win at poker a couple times while in Santa Cruz.
Japan bag...
JHern

Postby JR » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:12 am

veganray wrote:Did you know that stinging nettles, besides being a painful nuisance plant, are awesome to eat? Heat/moisture (or drying) denature the barbs that deliver the sting & they taste great. I used to forage them all the time when I was a field archaeologist, then blanch & saute them with pasta, sorrel (also foraged), garlic, & lemon. Deelish!

I heartily dislike tea made from stinging nettles. Health nuts love stinging nettles for their nutritional value. For a saltier non breakfast kind (not sweet) pancake you can use ground stinging nettles too. A little like spinach in pancakes.

jsun i've never come across PO and don't mind if i never do but i was surprised that the stinging nettles are worse for you than PO. I was lucky in having trousers on but unlucky to not have thick enough trousers in filming one throw this year when i had to remain perfectly still and operate the camera and zoom a lot for 20 seconds. While having my right knee on the ground in a tall bush of stinging nettles. I wasn't tired after that i can tell you :-) The perfect cure for being tired.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JHern » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:46 am

JR wrote:...i've never come across PO and don't mind if i never do...

If you ever come to DeLaveaga (something you should do), you will come across PO.
Japan bag...
JHern

Postby JR » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:50 pm

Like Johnny Cash? Burns, burns, burns JR should burn... :-)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Peot » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:19 pm

I dunno if your high cost of living drained everyone's funds, but there are only 5 or so players rated over 1000 registered for the PFDO... It's an NT!
Peot
Tree Magnet

Postby Apothecary » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:23 pm

JR please stay out of california.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Favorite Disc: Ion/Comet

Postby JR » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:33 am

Hey no worries dude there'll be as much drugs in Cali after i leave if i ever come there. I don't touch the stuff. You might be short of a few brewskies though.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Jesse B 707 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:20 pm

JR wrote:Hey no worries dude there'll be as much drugs in Cali after i leave if i ever come there. I don't touch the stuff. You might be short of a few brewskies though.

In Cali the drugs take you
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion