Starting from "scratch"

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Starting from "scratch"

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:56 am

Yeah, when I tried to throw a nice easy hyzer with my dart It would climb much higher than I wanted and sorta stall out and drop flat straight to the ground... I was very frustrated with it... I guess the things that make it a very good putter in my opinion cause it to struggle as an approach/driving putter... I hate carrying one mold for putting and another for driving/approaching... My aviars tended to start to hyzer on the end and just fade out of the basket, so i switched to the Dart and started hitting more putts instantly because it doesn't start to hyzer and fade as quickly.. Yes I could throw the aviar harder, but I didn't feel like I should have to, so I wanted a disc that wouldn't fade as quickly... Maybe I'll have to re address that later...
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Postby JR » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:49 am

Pure is a mid ground to those discs in putting flight and way closer to the Dart in gripping ease.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:23 am

I don't know much about Lat 64, if I get a Pure for a learning tool/possible all around putter what plastic is better? I know like NOTHING of thier plastics...
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby eky8 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:53 am

Zero line is nicer for putting. Grip line is better for driving. Both fly about the same.
eky8
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The last one I dyed

Postby JR » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:56 pm

I recommend the Grip Line for Pure. It is more durable while grippy enough.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:44 pm

JR wrote:I recommend the Grip Line for Pure. It is more durable while grippy enough.

Good cause that's all they had :-P

Picked up a Pure and an X Comet to give things a shot. Hit my home field on the way back in for about 4 throws each... Like what I saw from the Pure I believe, too much wind for the comet, that thing was jumping all over the place. Hope to hit a course next week and give things a try...

Seem to be beginning to feel somewhat of a snap when I throw... I'll keep focusing on things and see where it goes, but the discs seem to be coming out of my hand with more speed than they used to as well...
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:53 pm

Crosseyed0811 wrote:
JR wrote:I recommend the Grip Line for Pure. It is more durable while grippy enough.

Good cause that's all they had :-P

Picked up a Pure and an X Comet to give things a shot. Hit my home field on the way back in for about 4 throws each... Like what I saw from the Pure I believe, too much wind for the comet, that thing was jumping all over the place. Hope to hit a course next week and give things a try...

Seem to be beginning to feel somewhat of a snap when I throw... I'll keep focusing on things and see where it goes, but the discs seem to be coming out of my hand with more speed than they used to as well...

One of the reasons i recommended a thin profile putter, which of course has a narrow wing is that it is easiest to get the physical sensation of the weight of the disc pivoting and accelerating. Thinner winged discs launch at greater speed than mids and drivers, they just slow down way faster. Thinner putters have less finger drag/sticking slowing down the disc than tall putters. Congratulations you've had a great milestone in throwing form improvement!
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:45 pm

Added bonus with the Pure (still haven't hit the course with it yet, just squeezed in a practice throw here or there) is the forehand grip... SOOO much easier to forehand this disc compared to any other putter I've tried to forehand, and I at times have viewed myself as a forehand dominant player... This disc may work its way into becoming my favorite disc. Thank you for talking me into finally trying one out... Someone had recommended them to me when I picked up the Darts, and I now wish I had listened...
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:07 pm

:-D
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:09 pm

Update to the starting from scratch technique, I'm definitely starting to feel snap. My discs have a noticeably different velocity out of my hand now and move in the air more like I see from the stronger throwers around here. Also flying slightly more stable or straight as opposed to fading off left as hard without having turn and burn out of less stable discs. Not any REALLY noticable distance changes yet but I'm sure that will come. I have a lot of changes in my head right now and its hard to get all of them in on one throw at the moment. Working on breaking it down into stages and getting each of the "new" things more natural and habitual rather than trying to focus on all of it at once which is of course impossible. </excitement>
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:22 am

That sounds good and not adding D is pretty usual in the beginning. Lots of field practice. It may well be that when you are concentrating on a new thing you generate less force. Getting a routine helps to generate more power when there is no hesitation.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:35 am

JR wrote:That sounds good and not adding D is pretty usual in the beginning. Lots of field practice. It may well be that when you are concentrating on a new thing you generate less force. Getting a routine helps to generate more power when there is no hesitation.

Yeah, that's my thoughts for now. I figure a good bit of D will come when I fix my weight shifting issues. I always felt like I was shifting my weight fine, but then I saw this video from Climo and realized I wasn't shifting my weight anywhere near as much as he is showing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv76JEe1qUo&t=0m33s

Several other things are changing right now as well, I'll list them here since other people might have some issues as well.

1. Whip Concept: Watching a few videos of specifically Will Schusterick and Nate Doss it finally clicked. I could SEE them "whipping" the disc rather than "throwing" it. I'm working on this now.
Doss drives here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhQzVIX4cVs&t=1m47s
Will drives here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ImARhQkVH4&t=4m29s

2. Grip: Using a modified version of Climo's grip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAV8kKURKaw&t=1m30s

Around the 1:35 mark he explains what his grip basically accomplishes, but his grip actually hurts my hand. Almost a binding feeling in the base nuckle of my middle finger. I dropped the pinky out of the rim making it more of a 3 finger grip and its much more comfortable but still stretches my tendons out to get a stronger "tendon bounce"

3. Pull through location: A while back I noticed most of the top pro's have a picture out there somewhere in which they are holding the disc in this one position before the throw.. This is the best one I can find right now, but most of the pro's have very different styles of throwing but they all seem to get to this point somehow.

I felt through and realized in order to get to that position I had to pull through higher. I was pulling through more around my stomach (exagerating to make the point) than across my chest. This seems to have more power and get more of the snap feeling that I'm looking for now easier. In fact when I first realized I was pulling lower and did some "fake" pull throughs around my chest I felt it want to snap unlike I'd ever felt before.

4. Weight transfer: What I mentioned earlier Not actually gotten this in yet, but its next on the list. Too hard to focus on this and the others at the same time. Climo in this video talks about keeping your weight over the back foot and does so much more than I tend to. This should had distance once I get there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv76JEe1qUo&t=0m33s
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Hyzerline49 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:31 am

how'd you like that comet? never got to hear your thoughts on it...
Forces - Orcs - Banshees - Eagles - Wasps - Rocs - Zones - Wizards
Hyzerline49
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Ching Roc

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:18 am

Eh, didn't make it. Only threw it a few times, but I went with a P-MD2. Just wasn't my thing I don't guess. Its pretty much my mid of choice now. Have a Roc or two to help when I need a little more stability or its windy. I'll probably get a C-MD2 to fill that role at some point, but I've got a stack of Rocs right now that do the job so no point in spending more money.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Previous

Return to General Discussion