Starting from "scratch"

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Starting from "scratch"

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:40 pm

keltik wrote:with the comet not really. Dome is more of a factor.


Umm... so do I want dome or no dome?
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 537
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:02 pm
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Re: Starting from "scratch"

Postby keltik » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:02 pm

I don't know what you want. Domier ones are more stable but not overstable.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator
User avatar
 
Posts: 3380
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: High Point NC
Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Re: Starting from "scratch"

Postby Itchy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:18 pm

You can whip any disc, but understable will point out your form flaws more.
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 636
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:34 pm
Location: San Luis Obispo/Lompoc, California
Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Re: Starting from "scratch"

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:45 pm

yeah if your trying to figure out whip, the disc is less important.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown
User avatar
 
Posts: 12364
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:43 pm
Location: Drowning in a cold river
Favorite Disc: Wraith

Re: Starting from "scratch"

Postby Triflusal » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:44 pm

keltik wrote:I don't know what you want. Domier ones are more stable but not overstable.

what he means is the domey ones are the good ones and the flatter ones are the crappy flippy ones
Triflusal
Effective absolute Communicator
User avatar
 
Posts: 622
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:26 pm
Location: fighting crime
Favorite Disc: whamo malibu

Re: Starting from "scratch"

Postby keltik » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:52 pm

Triflusal wrote:
keltik wrote:I don't know what you want. Domier ones are more stable but not overstable.

what he means is the domey ones are the good ones and the flatter ones are the crappy flippy ones


yeah something like that. but my form is so smooth I can't get the flat ones to flip anymore lulz.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator
User avatar
 
Posts: 3380
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: High Point NC
Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Re: Starting from "scratch"

Postby JR » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:42 pm

Disc change ain't the way to go. It is you not the disc that needs to change. Putters show the speed/spin ratio changes the best. Sidearm shows it even more. Tall putters stick to the fingers best so if you want to learn to avoid that pick up your tallest putter. It may mask everything else so i don't suggest it in the long run. Lat64 Pure is fine, because it will show a difference in spin increases in flight path and is easy enough to get a clean release from while being thin winged and shallow enough to not hamper learning by being so clunky as to stick in the fingers on a god throw. It is also sensitive enough to show errors and good enough to fly great with decent snap.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11439
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Starting from "scratch"

Postby Dbuntu » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:29 pm

Trey133 wrote:Bring a comet out to the course.

In addition, bring a DX Leopard, and a putter of your choice.

You just described the core of my bag.
I carry extra putters because I need more practice there [who doesn't?] and am trial running a Stratus X for funsies
It is a poor carpenter who blames his tools
Dbuntu
Noob
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Location: Nashville
Favorite Disc: All of them

Re: Starting from "scratch"

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:40 am

JR wrote:Disc change ain't the way to go. It is you not the disc that needs to change. Putters show the speed/spin ratio changes the best. Sidearm shows it even more. Tall putters stick to the fingers best so if you want to learn to avoid that pick up your tallest putter. It may mask everything else so i don't suggest it in the long run. Lat64 Pure is fine, because it will show a difference in spin increases in flight path and is easy enough to get a clean release from while being thin winged and shallow enough to not hamper learning by being so clunky as to stick in the fingers on a god throw. It is also sensitive enough to show errors and good enough to fly great with decent snap.



I think you missed the point of the thread.... This is: I'm starting over and learning to throw the right way. My bag was built around my wrong way of throwing and so I want to get discs that are going to help me see if I got the form right and teach me how to manipulate that throw more when I "get it". Not a: I sux!! giv meh SUPA-DISC to make meh throw FARRRRRR!!! I wasn't asking for discs that would magically make me throw like the pro's, just saying since I've been off the course long enough I feel like I'll have to start over anyway, why not try to do it the right way and pick out discs that are going to make me a better player by learning to throw them properly. You don't send a beginner out to a field with an Ape, Firebird, Drone and a 10m Brick and think they're going to learn anything about the game that way. And yes with my suggestions I know that I'm already saying I want less stable discs, but I was looking for suggestions along the lines of Blake's old "my friend got better than me with just a Cyclone and an Aviar" story, but seeing what other disc selections people suggested to accomplish some of the same end goal of learning to throw the right way and work the discs to get where I want to go. The DX Leopard (I only have pro and star so I'll have to shop) Comet (I've never even seen one) and a putter has been my only and best suggestion so far so I was seeing more specifics on there before going and buying a Comet that was a "oh I didn't mean THAT Comet, you need the other plastic!".

Oh and thanks for the disc tip even after you stated that disc selection wasn't going to help :-P
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 537
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:02 pm
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Re: Starting from "scratch"

Postby JHern » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:20 am

Throw good training discs for a while...

The Comet is one of the best training discs. Use a Comet and your favorite putter to begin. Play catch with both. Focus on orienting your body the same way, and throwing cleanly every time for reproducibility. Throw the Comet on anhyzer, straight, and anhyzer lines, high and low. Also try throwing uphill and downhill shots, orienting the disc parallel to the plane of the hillside. Your upshot game is going to get very good, and your tally of throws in a round will begin to decline as the distance you need to putt also decreases.

Then try a Panther or Glide. These discs feel more driver-like in the hand, and they turn over and work lines like drivers do, except they operate at much slower speeds. They are very fun to throw if you can throw them clean. Learn to flip them up from hyzer to flat, to less than flat, and just past flat. Play with the nose angle to get them to stall and fade more strongly and navigate tight routes through trees. Stratus is another alternative, and feels somewhat like a thinner-rimmed Comet but also turns over at low speeds.

Trust me, drilling with these kinds of training discs will help you, a lot! They will not reward bad throws, but they can be thrown relatively far with almost no effort and a clean snappy release.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!
User avatar
 
Posts: 2620
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:50 am
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Favorite Disc: Clutch

Re: Starting from "scratch"

Postby JR » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:51 am

Crosseyed0811 wrote:
JR wrote:Disc change ain't the way to go. It is you not the disc that needs to change. Putters show the speed/spin ratio changes the best. Sidearm shows it even more. Tall putters stick to the fingers best so if you want to learn to avoid that pick up your tallest putter. It may mask everything else so i don't suggest it in the long run. Lat64 Pure is fine, because it will show a difference in spin increases in flight path and is easy enough to get a clean release from while being thin winged and shallow enough to not hamper learning by being so clunky as to stick in the fingers on a god throw. It is also sensitive enough to show errors and good enough to fly great with decent snap.



I think you missed the point of the thread.... This is: I'm starting over and learning to throw the right way. My bag was built around my wrong way of throwing and so I want to get discs that are going to help me see if I got the form right and teach me how to manipulate that throw more when I "get it". Not a: I sux!! giv meh SUPA-DISC to make meh throw FARRRRRR!!! I wasn't asking for discs that would magically make me throw like the pro's, just saying since I've been off the course long enough I feel like I'll have to start over anyway, why not try to do it the right way and pick out discs that are going to make me a better player by learning to throw them properly. You don't send a beginner out to a field with an Ape, Firebird, Drone and a 10m Brick and think they're going to learn anything about the game that way. And yes with my suggestions I know that I'm already saying I want less stable discs, but I was looking for suggestions along the lines of Blake's old "my friend got better than me with just a Cyclone and an Aviar" story, but seeing what other disc selections people suggested to accomplish some of the same end goal of learning to throw the right way and work the discs to get where I want to go. The DX Leopard (I only have pro and star so I'll have to shop) Comet (I've never even seen one) and a putter has been my only and best suggestion so far so I was seeing more specifics on there before going and buying a Comet that was a "oh I didn't mean THAT Comet, you need the other plastic!".

Oh and thanks for the disc tip even after you stated that disc selection wasn't going to help :-P


The thing is that the Aviar may just work well enough unless you get sticking issues and there the Pure is better well it is also more HSS so it is more dependable in winds. I got the question you made and suggested the Pure, because it can help with the question you should have asked, which is how do i need to practice to get better? Not with what. Because the Pure is a fine diagnosis and training tool and a great tunnel driver i suggested it. It is by no means far from the best putting putter either. Comet training is horrible, because it is just so cruel. And not easy when you power it. You will learn to good sides of powering down with it. Approach form and stand stills get good training from the Comet. And staying loose. Punching it is another matter and the Comet gets exceedingly difficult to throw at say above 70-80% power. That means that for powered throws it is best left for later once your form gets cleaner. It's just gonna create a lot of frustration before you have a clean release and OAT free throw.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11439
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Starting from "scratch"

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:56 am

Thanks for the input JR, and btw, I wasn't being a butt about anything, I just playfully aggravate people which can get lost on forums at times ;)
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 537
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:02 pm
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Re: Starting from "scratch"

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:29 am

Before my recent time off from playing, I was putting with 2 Star Darts better than I'd ever putted before. Still got those two lying around, how do they compare to something like the Pure for what you're talking about JR?
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 537
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:02 pm
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Re: Starting from "scratch"

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:04 pm

Nevermind on the Dart. First time back out playing, the wife and I went out to a middle school course in town. I just took 2 darts and a pro leopard for the one "Long" hole... Couldn't get much movement out of the Darts left to right. Got decent annhyzer movement, but couldn't get much on the hyzer. It would hold they hyzer angle but wouldn't move far right to left, it stayed pretty straight... I typically throw aviars and just recently switched to the dart for putting only. Should leave it that way I guess... Got my wife's Aero after she got tired of throwing it (couldn't get a clean release) and I was able to get much better movement on the Aero. Might steal it from the wife for these smaller 9 hole courses around here...

But to the snap issues, I BELIEVE I could feel a little bit of snap in my throws. I also didn't get as hot/sweaty/tired today playing even though it was still pretty hot, so that tells me I wasn't working as hard to throw. Might be on the right path for once here, gonna keep at it! And may go pick up a Pure to give it some looks since you sold it so well JR :)
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 537
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:02 pm
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Re: Starting from "scratch"

Postby JR » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:56 am

As a learning tool the Dart has the drawback of tremendous glide, which tends to pop the disc up high. Pure is shorter, slower and less gliding but at least as straight. And much more predictable and controllable. Especially in the ranging department. Wind tolerance is better with the Pure.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11439
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest