Girls throwing, and Ashley rambles about sidearms

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Disc golf and Women

Postby Trey133 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:57 am

Easier sidearm distance made simple for women. Go look at Avery's sidearm. It's proven the most successful for those who are not able to sidearm (can't figure out the mechanics). This primes your arm and body for a sidearm reachback and pullthrough. It makes stand still sidearms very easy too.
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Ghandi
Discmania Golf Discs: Reinvent your game.
Trey133
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby sunspot » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:36 am

What kind of grips do you use to drive and putt with? Is there a better driving and putter grip for women due to their hand sizes being generally smaller than men's?
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby ashley » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:10 am

I use a power grip on my drives, and a control grip on my approaches and putts. I don't really do anything that differently other than I don't like the rims on the faster drivers. My favorite discs are the teebird and leopard. I throw a lot of orcs, but I can feel the difference in the size of the rim even on them.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: valkyrie

Postby ashley » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:31 pm

JR wrote:What should disc golfers, clubs, national organizations and the PDGA do to get more women to play?

This answer got lost somehow last night, so I will try again.

I have seen a lot of handicap league popping up, never played one but it seems like something that would work well with women. My hubby used to get about a 10 stroke spread on me, and I felt like I was playing well anytime I could get under that. Currently it is closer to a 4 or 5 stroke lead.

I took my daughter out to play the other day, I let her throw from my drives, that seemed to work for her. She enjoyed it a lot more.

Spending a lot of time in the field working on my drives is what really helped me. I was able to work out a lot of the kinks and really improve my distance.

The Provo boys are what really helped me though. They were very patient with me when I started, without being patronizing. They recognized what was a good throw for me and celebrated it without feeling like they had to pat me on the back every time I threw.

I also enjoy playing doubles when my partner acts excited that I am his partner instead of acting upset. No, we aren't going to take a lot of my drives, but I feel like my strength is my approach game. Also, I enjoy getting the chance to putt first, it really helped build my confidence.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Postby ashley » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:55 pm

Trey133 wrote:Easier sidearm distance made simple for women. Go look at Avery's sidearm. It's proven the most successful for those who are not able to sidearm (can't figure out the mechanics). This primes your arm and body for a sidearm reachback and pullthrough. It makes stand still sidearms very easy too.

Thanks for the tips, I will be working on this. I hate that I have no sidearm. I feel like it should be easy but I really struggle. I will report back on how it goes. I know that I try to push to much with my arm, but I can't seem to stop myself. Also, if I can figure this out, I also want to learn a tomahawk I have only ever met one girl who could. Coolest thing I've ever seen.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Postby Flipflat » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:24 pm

Sidearms are all about wrist. Same kind of movement as using a hammer, but sideways. When I first learned it I just slowed down everything and just concentrated on that kind of movement- not much reach-back, just enough enough to get some momentum going. I usually flick it with just my index finger on the underside of the rim.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby ashley » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:32 pm

Thanks, I appreciate all the help with the sidearm. I know this sounds silly, but I have been always told it is like flicking a towel. However, this is something I never learned as a girl. I feel somehow deprived, ha ha.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Postby Flipflat » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:38 pm

I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby BrotherDave » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:56 pm

Just wanted to add that DGCR has a women centric social group on it for all things women and DG. It's small and about as active as DGR but every little bit (new members) helps. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/group.php?groupid=308
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby Dbuntu » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:27 pm

ashley wrote:Thanks, I appreciate all the help with the sidearm. I know this sounds silly, but I have been always told it is like flicking a towel. However, this is something I never learned as a girl. I feel somehow deprived, ha ha.

I've taught ultimate flicks and there are a few things I use for teaching
1. Hold the elbow to your body. So if you are RHFH your left hand is holding your right elbow against your side while your throw. This forces you to use wrist and core to move the disc. Almost everyone starts by trying to use too much shoulder, rolling the elbow and their disc ends up tacoing into the ground about ten feet out.
2. The wrist movement is something akin to if you've got something gross and sticky on your fingers [like a booger] and you're trying to flick it off.
It is a poor carpenter who blames his tools
Dbuntu
Noob

Favorite Disc: All of them

Postby Star Shark » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:12 am

ashley wrote:I use a power grip on my drives, and a control grip on my approaches and putts. I don't really do anything that differently other than I don't like the rims on the faster drivers. My favorite discs are the teebird and leopard. I throw a lot of orcs, but I can feel the difference in the size of the rim even on them.

Not uncommon in the ladies. Val Jenkins still loves the SL... which is a slightly flippier Orc.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby Dookville » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:03 am

My daughters are 10 & 12, they have been playing for 8 monthes. My youngest competes in the monthly tournaments with the men and really enjoys it. She has a solid driving game and her putting is getting really godd inside of 15 feet. She is a little timid on the upshots, in trying not to over shoot the basket with her mid, she comes up way to short and leves long putts.

How do I get her over the fear, and get her to go for it?
"JimW wrote:
Every time I've ever tried to implement any of the advice from on here to get more distance on my drives it has ended up wrecking my game completely for a while.
Dookville
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PAIN

Postby ferretdance03 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:14 pm

What I tell new players to do instead of aiming for the basket, try to land in a circle around the basket. I've found that sometimes people focus so much on the basket that they psych themselves out. If you're just trying to land in a circle around the pin it's sometimes easier to focus without getting tunnel vision.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby keltik » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:38 pm

Does having breasts affect your throwing motion? This is a serious question. I used to hit my chest when I first started out and then I learned proper technique. But I've always wondered if having extra tissue on the front of your body makes things difficult or if it adds something to be conscious of.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Re: Re: Disc golf and Women

Postby vtbuzzz » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:16 pm

keltik wrote:Does having breasts affect your throwing motion? This is a serious question. I used to hit my chest when I first started out and then I learned proper technique. But I've always wondered if having extra tissue on the front of your body makes things difficult or if it adds something to be conscious of.

That's a great question as my girlfriend is starting to get better and has big boobs, do you have any advice that I could give her in this matter?
vtbuzzz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion