Best way to break in a disc?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Best way to break in a disc?

Postby iowapat » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:24 am

Steady 26542 wrote:
Trey133 wrote:Putting discs in a sack or w/ towel in the dryer for 15-20 minutes. This is an easy way to gently season a disc from all angles. I usually do putters and midranges with this method as I don't want to risk denting/deforming them.

With Drivers usually deflashing and a very light sanding can make a world of difference.

I do the same thing. I put the drying on no or low heat. This can put a ring around the edge of the disc so experiment with this. I have only used a towel. I like the bag idea. It is pretty loud too.

That's what laundromats were made for...
iowapat
Tree Magnet

Postby jubuttib » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:39 am

Is there any chance of causing damage to the dryer?
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Trey133 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:04 am

So far *knock on wood* this isn't affecting my dryer at all :)
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Ghandi
Discmania Golf Discs: Reinvent your game.
Trey133
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby iowapat » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:36 am

jubuttib wrote:Is there any chance of causing damage to the dryer?

maybe...that's why I said laundromat :wink:
iowapat
Tree Magnet

Postby jubuttib » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:16 pm

iowapat wrote:maybe...that's why I said laundromat :wink:
I'm not sure those exist over here... Never seen one at least.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Steady 26542 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:38 pm

iowapat wrote:
Steady 26542 wrote:
Trey133 wrote:Putting discs in a sack or w/ towel in the dryer for 15-20 minutes. This is an easy way to gently season a disc from all angles. I usually do putters and midranges with this method as I don't want to risk denting/deforming them.

With Drivers usually deflashing and a very light sanding can make a world of difference.

I do the same thing. I put the drying on no or low heat. This can put a ring around the edge of the disc so experiment with this. I have only used a towel. I like the bag idea. It is pretty loud too.

That's what laundromats were made for...

I'm not going to throw my quarters away at the laundry mat. Plus, those places are scary. :lol:
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Postby Steady 26542 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:40 pm

Not at all. Plastic doesn't normally do too much damage to metal. :D
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Postby jubuttib » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:37 am

Steady 26542 wrote:

Not at all. Plastic doesn't normally do too much damage to metal. :D
Depends entirely on how sturdy said metal is. I usually make it a practice not to put hard objects into machines meant to handle soft and pliable ones. =)
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Mark Ellis » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:41 am

For sure the BEST way is the natural way by just playing with it. You get the most life out of the disc and can use it at each of its stages.

But we know that understable drivers and mids will fly around a blind corner and bury themselves so we need to replace them all too often. And any version of candy plastic may take years to break in to the level we need it for particular flight patterns.

To speed up the process, the first step is to FOLD the disc. Bend it backwards on three different lines then bend it forward on three different lines. Then do it again and again then straighten out the rim and test it. When you fold a disc fold it to a full taco, even creating a crease line if you can. The slight warping of the rim from this process will cause it lose stability. If the folding causes more warpage than you want just run it under very hot water and the plastic "memory" of the disc will flatten it back out.

If folding doesn't get the disc where you need it then take it to a parking lot and play games with it. Closest to the trash can with air shots, skip shots and overheads. These will gouge the rim up (which btw, I happen to believe that gouges don't do much to change stability however when you sand off the gouges, especially from the bottom bead, it does).

The issue exists whether any particular method of breaking in a disc violates PDGA rules. It is my opinion that the methods I mentioned above are proper, legal and ethical.

The easiest way to replace a lost anhyzer disc is to trade for a used version of the same mold. Regular players who nonetheless lack tournament skills are the best bets as their discs have had a rough life. I am always on the lookout for beat up versions of my favorite molds and am happy to trade new discs for used ones.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Previous

Return to General Discussion