New Player Advice

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

New Player Advice

Postby Cuthahotha » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:13 pm

(Warning I'm sure this has been asked and answered 100's of times, I'm just not sure what to search for yet.)

Over the years of hanging out watching my daughter play tennis and my son at hundreds of baseball tourneys I've seen a few funny looking chain/basket things around various parks. I knew they were for playing Frisbee Golf and never thought much about it. I mean how hard can it be, it's just throwing a plastic disc into the thing right?

During a tennis tourney a few months back I actually saw a DG tournament in play. The DG Course went all the way around the tennis center, and while waiting on matches I wandered around and watched. I was fascinated. I am an avid Golfer (ball), and would play Frisbee with the kids any time, and thought that might be fun. Did some research right after the tourney but didn't follow up. It looked like a lot of fun, but with two kids in sports there just isn't, or wasn't', time.

This weekend I was up a NAU in Flagstaff for parents weekend and the wife and I wandered up to Snow Bowl for some sight-seeing. There's a DG course set up and seeing it, renewed my interest. (I'm way burnt out on [ball] golf, the time it takes and $40-$110/ round in my area.) With my kids all finally out of the house and a lot of extra time on my hands I'd like to try my hands at the game.

Now enter the problem. I don't exactly live in the middle of the DG center of the universe. We have one 9 hole course put in by the boy scouts in the area about 15 miles from my house. (That sucks considering we have some 300,000 people in the valley). There's a few about 50 miles away in North County San Diego, but with gas at ~$4.00 a gallon that's not conducive to easy practice. I don't really know where/how's the best way to learn with zip for local resources.

OK, so that's a problem, but there's a decent solution, i think. I have 5 acres of rolling hills, a couple of trees, a few obstacles (if the horses will stay put anyway) that I can throw on just by walking out side. I was thinking about just standing up a couple of poles or aiming at tree trunks until I get a feel that I would really like it. Then i can put up some chain targets.

So now I have a place to practice (and hopefully shed some weight walking up and down my hills chasing discs). NOW WHAT. I know so little about the sport that I'm not sure where to even begin.

I was thinking about picking up a couple of mid range discs and a putter and just practice back and forth across the property. But what I don't want to do is fubar technique or create a bunch of bad habits for lack of good supervised instruction. OR am i just way over thinking this whole thing as a newbie?

Specific questions:

Is there clinics on the weekends anywhere near San Diego?
Big 5 and Dicks carry Innova discs. What's a good intro disc(s) to start out with? They have a set of three with a Leopard, Shark and Avair(sp?) in it. I've read the Leopard is pretty good intro level driver, but don't know about the other 2? Thoughts?
If I like it, I'd like to put up some "real" targets and set up my own mini course. Is there a good DIY set of plans for building targets? I've seen a couple of plans using 55gal drums or bicycle rims.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Steve
Cuthahotha
Noob

Favorite Disc: None yet

Re: New Player Advice

Postby veganray » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:15 pm

The only piece of advice you'll ever need: never take a piece of advice from the innerwebz, including this one.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby Leopard » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:18 pm

Leopard / Shark / Aviar is a great starter set. it'll reward good technique -- most of the discs on the market in some way or another will reward bad technique, because they're specialized. the three in that set are specialized to be very neutral-flying discs. the more neutral, the more their flight is a reflection of your form.

throw at a marked tree-trunk till you feel like building another target :)
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby keltik » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:25 pm

I think we need to change your name to Vague Ray.

you are referring to the Innova starter set. I started with that one myself. all the discs in that pack are light weight (150g). The Shark and the Leopard are fine discs at that weight. The Aviar not so much but it could pass. Since you say you are an empty nester I'm guessing you are in your late 40's early 50's and 150g discs would be easier for an older gent like yourself to learn the game. If you want just one disc I would try a Mako in the mid 160g. I've seen those at Dick's here in South Carolina. but I'm not sure what they stock on the left coast.

as for baskets it depends on how much time you have on your hands and how skillful you are at welding. I've seen old car rims used for baskets. I think a car rim bottom with a bicycle rim top would be nice (chains hanging between obviously.) otherwise I would just buy some practice baskets online. discgolfcenter.com marshallstreetdiscgolf.com discnation.com gottagogottathrow.com are good places to look.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Cuthahotha » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:36 pm

veganray wrote:The only piece of advice you'll ever need: never take a piece of advice from the innerwebz, including this one.

Thanks. I think.

Leopard wrote:Leopard / Shark / Aviar is a great starter set. it'll reward good technique -- most of the discs on the market in some way or another will reward bad technique, because they're specialized. the three in that set are specialized to be very neutral-flying discs. the more neutral, the more their flight is a reflection of your form.

throw at a marked tree-trunk till you feel like building another target :)

Leopard, Thanks I was hoping that would be the case.

keltik wrote:I think we need to change your name to Vague Ray.

you are referring to the Innova starter set. I started with that one myself. all the discs in that pack are light weight (150g). The Shark and the Leopard are fine discs at that weight. The Aviar not so much but it could pass. Since you say you are an empty nester I'm guessing you are in your late 40's early 50's and 150g discs would be easier for an older gent like yourself to learn the game. If you want just one disc I would try a Mako in the mid 160g. I've seen those at Dick's here in South Carolina. but I'm not sure what they stock on the left coast.

as for baskets it depends on how much time you have on your hands and how skillful you are at welding. I've seen old car rims used for baskets. I think a car rim bottom with a bicycle rim top would be nice (chains hanging between obviously.) otherwise I would just buy some practice baskets online. discgolfcenter.com marshallstreetdiscgolf.com discnation.com gottagogottathrow.com are good places to look.

Keltik,

You hit it the nail on the head. Mid 50s. Although "Older Gent" is kind of an arrow through the heart. No one's ever accused me of being a "Gent". I am concerned about injury to joints and bones that are more used to setting at a computer writing software than out throwing things that's for sure. Actually for an old fart I'm still in pretty decent shape.

I'll take a look at the sites mentioned.

All, THANKS!
Cuthahotha
Noob

Postby keltik » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:14 pm

Sorry I didn't mean to offend. But since you are worried about your joints, stick with the lighter weight discs. you may also want to try out a Hero SuperHero. http://www.herodiscusa.com/hero-super-hero.html it is worth every penny. I use it as a warm up disc and for playing catch. it works terrifically for learning to throw smooth and pain free.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Cuthahotha » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:22 pm

keltik wrote:Sorry I didn't mean to offend. But since you are worried about your joints, stick with the lighter weight discs. you may also want to try out a Hero SuperHero. http://www.herodiscusa.com/hero-super-hero.html it is worth every penny. I use it as a warm up disc and for playing catch. it works terrifically for learning to throw smooth and pain free.

No offense taken.

So I went ahead and picked up the starter kit from Innova.

I about busted a gut on the first throw. 150' forward, 150' left. Looked a lot like one of my snap hooks in B Golf. Worked for a while back and forth across the property.

Got the Leopard out to 220' and started to get a decent flight about 1 out of 3 throws. Little right fade through most of the flight then back to the left toward the end. When not on that path, it flys pretty straight.

Shark, not so much. Reaching out around 200' with tendency to get it up in the air a bit to much and then a hard curve left at the end of flight. Better about 1 out of 4.

Avair, flying a bit shorter than the Shark, but with very simiar tendencys.

Sitting here a couple of hours later and my shoulder and neck know they were doing something odd this afternoon. Nothing a couple of advil and a beer or two can't handle.

Thanks again.
Steve
Cuthahotha
Noob

Postby JR » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:13 pm

Hi and welcome! Discs turn at the early part of the flight and fade in the end. A hard fade in the end with Sharks and Aviars usually comes only from throwing high nose up. That stops the disc fast and makes it stall. Cures are making sure you are at least upright, maybe a little weight forward, when the disc leaves. Pulling the disc at a constant height above the ground helps. The disc should be oriented in the hand so that the front of the disc isn't up, when you push the wrist down from resting position.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Cuthahotha » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:16 am

JR wrote:Hi and welcome! Discs turn at the early part of the flight and fade in the end. A hard fade in the end with Sharks and Aviars usually comes only from throwing high nose up. That stops the disc fast and makes it stall. Cures are making sure you are at least upright, maybe a little weight forward, when the disc leaves. Pulling the disc at a constant height above the ground helps. The disc should be oriented in the hand so that the front of the disc isn't up, when you push the wrist down from resting position.

Thanks JR I'll watch for that tonight.

While the wife watched multiple hours of "Dances with goof balls" er I mean Dances with the Stars last night I spent a couple of hours watching youtube videos. Discraft seems to have really embraced the education end of the sport. Lot of well done stuff out there on the basics. For me the most insteresting was the discussions on different grips. Having never thown anything but a Frisbee I've got some habits to reform there. I've got pretty big hands and need to find something that is comfortable.

Last night was all about driving. Tonight I'll put the leopard away and will make it all about approach and putting. Also probably dig out the 300' tape and start marking up some distances to be more sure of what's happening.

Thanks,
Steve
Cuthahotha
Noob

Postby char@gottagogottathrow » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:17 pm

You may want to pick up a Fundamentals DVD - there's some great stuff on it for beginners

http://gottagogottathrow.com/discgolf/d ... -1780.html
Char Majeski
www.gottagogottathrow.com
char@gottagogottathrow.com
877-347-2465
763-593-7690
char@gottagogottathrow
Tree Magnet

Postby Cuthahotha » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:28 pm

char@gottagogottathrow wrote:You may want to pick up a Fundamentals DVD - there's some great stuff on it for beginners

http://gottagogottathrow.com/discgolf/d ... -1780.html

Char, I looked at the link you provided while wandering around your site yesterday.

If it was downloadable I would do it in a heart beat. As it is, I can get a ton of good videos from the Tube, and don't have to be concerned about spending money, waiting a week for shipping, and then not being 100% satisified. I don't mind spending the money, but hate the wait.

Steve
Cuthahotha
Noob

Postby char@gottagogottathrow » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:38 pm

I hear you on that! I'm all about instant gratification :D

Also - search for Dan Beto on YouTube - he's our local boy who does some pretty amazing things and has some good throwing techniques. Search this board also - lots of good video recommendations for newbys!
Char Majeski
877-347-2465
763-593-7690
char@gottagogottathrow
Tree Magnet

Postby char@gottagogottathrow » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:40 pm

Come to think of it - Climo & Feldberg have a few videos from the DVD on Youtube - I did just a quick search and found these:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... tals+&aq=f
Char Majeski
877-347-2465
763-593-7690
char@gottagogottathrow
Tree Magnet

Postby char@gottagogottathrow » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:41 pm

Char Majeski
877-347-2465
763-593-7690
char@gottagogottathrow
Tree Magnet

Postby Cuthahotha » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:44 pm

Char,

Thanks very much. The Tube is blocked here at work, but I'll take a look after i get home and get some practice in.

Steve
Cuthahotha
Noob

Next

Return to General Discussion