GO FOR IT or play it safe and boring?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: GO FOR IT or play it safe and boring?

Postby keltik » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:05 am

Jesse B 707 wrote:Having a good score at the end of the round is usually more exciting than going for a shot thats clearly dumb

I can't stop living in the moment. I guess I don't can learn.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby TOURNEYPLAYER » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:17 pm

juju wrote:
Smyith wrote:
Mark Ellis wrote:On the rare situation where I am pitching out to a tight fairway I will pick up a big leaf and place it exactly where I want my pitch out to land. It is easier to hit an exact spot with a target to aim at. In choosing the exact spot it will help you plan the upshot and increase your chance of success.

thats a reall great strategy with the leaf. its not always easy to spot the correct landing spot when pitching out. thanks for the tip

Unfortunately, that is illegal in pDGA play. :lol:

only if the leaf is in your lie. no rule against this. you could always drag your foot on the spot too. make a mark.
TOURNEYPLAYER
I bugged Frank for a rank and got this as my rank. WOOOO Frank rules!

Favorite Disc: ZONE BITCHES

Postby Bombmk » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:17 am

TOURNEYPLAYER wrote:
juju wrote:
Smyith wrote:
Mark Ellis wrote:On the rare situation where I am pitching out to a tight fairway I will pick up a big leaf and place it exactly where I want my pitch out to land. It is easier to hit an exact spot with a target to aim at. In choosing the exact spot it will help you plan the upshot and increase your chance of success.

thats a reall great strategy with the leaf. its not always easy to spot the correct landing spot when pitching out. thanks for the tip

Unfortunately, that is illegal in pDGA play. :lol:

only if the leaf is in your lie. no rule against this. you could always drag your foot on the spot too. make a mark.

As far as I can tell, juju is right.

803.05 Obstacles and Relief:
http://www.pdga.com/rules/80305-obstacles-and-relief

"A. Obstacles to a Stance or Throwing Motion: With the exception of casual obstacles to a stance as described in 803.05 B, a player is not allowed to move any obstacle on the course."

Part B clearly defines loose leaves as an obstacle.

and it might violate 803.04 - D as well:
"D. A player must choose the stance that will result in the least movement of any part of any
obstacle that is a permanent or integral part of the course."
as you could consider putting down a mark as part of taking your stance. I would definately say it violates the spirit of that rule.

You could, contrary to your response, do it if the leaf is in your runup/stance area, though. :)

And making a mark with your foot is definately skirting the line on those rules sections as well.
Bombmk
Noob

Favorite Disc: Westside Swan 2

Postby Smyith » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:00 pm

Bombmk wrote:
As far as I can tell, juju is right.

803.05 Obstacles and Relief:
http://www.pdga.com/rules/80305-obstacles-and-relief

"A. Obstacles to a Stance or Throwing Motion: With the exception of casual obstacles to a stance as described in 803.05 B, a player is not allowed to move any obstacle on the course."

Part B clearly defines loose leaves as an obstacle.

and it might violate 803.04 - D as well:
"D. A player must choose the stance that will result in the least movement of any part of any
obstacle that is a permanent or integral part of the course."
as you could consider putting down a mark as part of taking your stance. I would definately say it violates the spirit of that rule.

You could, contrary to your response, do it if the leaf is in your runup/stance area, though. :)

And making a mark with your foot is definately skirting the line on those rules sections as well.

i hate lawyer style writing in rules. specific and not at the same time. guess instead of using a leaf ill take a "practice" swing from where i want the disc to go (you know to make sure that where i want to land :wink:) and just make sure to dig my plant foot in hard. that way a nice swirl in the grass will form. there no way thats illegal.
OrionLF-Vulcan-Destroyer-Leopard-Ontario-Rancho-Rhyno-Aviar
***Always looking for 1.1 Sirius Orion LFs (SOLF)-will pay $$$ or trade***
Need Air/Water filters or HVAC service/supply?
ApprovedComfort.com - Servicing the Greater Chicagoland Area and more
AllKindsofFilters.com - Use code 'discgolf' to receive a special discount
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby TOURNEYPLAYER » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:08 pm

what if I bring my own leaves? they are not obstacles. they are not littering? what then?
TOURNEYPLAYER
I bugged Frank for a rank and got this as my rank. WOOOO Frank rules!

Favorite Disc: ZONE BITCHES

Postby JHern » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:45 pm

TOURNEYPLAYER wrote:what if I bring my own leaves? they are not obstacles. they are not littering? what then?

^^^^^^^

I agree. A leaf is not an "obstacle" unless it's a Jurassic mo$%erf$%^3n iron leaf that you have to drag out there like a ball and chain.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Dogma » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:44 pm

JHern wrote:
TOURNEYPLAYER wrote:what if I bring my own leaves? they are not obstacles. they are not littering? what then?

^^^^^^^

I agree. A leaf is not an "obstacle" unless it's a Jurassic mo$%erf$%^3n iron leaf that you have to drag out there like a ball and chain.

For that matter, where does it say you can't just set a mini on the ground to aim at. You aren't "marking your lie" so what other rule would apply?
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby keltik » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:48 pm

JHern wrote:

^^^^^^^

lulz :lol:
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Fritz » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:25 pm

Mostly situational. I would only go for it, if the bogey causes the loss (i.e. last hole and if you bogey you lose) but if nothing is on the line or it's an early hole/round do what Blake told me one time while I was sitting in his apartment, "Take your bogey like a man, and move on to the next hole."

Sometime it's just the smart move to toss out, take the easy 4 and move on.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby money 21 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:19 pm

i learned this the hard way this year at the state am championship. i played up a devision and after 2 play it safe dont make mistake rounds i found myself leading the second card. well that put me with players alot better then me for the final round my play it safe attitude went out the window and my score sucked. and i barely cashed. i need drive for show putt for dough tattooed on my hand hat day.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Previous

Return to General Discussion