USDGC - I told you so

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: USDGC - I told you so

Postby juju » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:35 am

Yeah, glad I got to play it before it went down the crapper.
juju
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: First Run Buzzz

Postby TOURNEYPLAYER » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:53 am

Frank Delicious wrote:Chucky K from DGCR

A couple items I'm reasonably sure (90%) will occur:
- The 2012 USDGC will not return to the format and/or payout of 2010
- The next Performance Edition will have tighter restrictions on ratings and qualifying
- The Throw & Distance penalty will not be used as the blanket format for all holes
- Events will continue to fill regardless of format because the course and overall hospitality, not the format or payout is king at the USDGC

Well at least I got to see it when it was a good event

This sounds like shit. I thought last years USDGC was great. why does Innova keep fucking this whole thing up.
TOURNEYPLAYER
I bugged Frank for a rank and got this as my rank. WOOOO Frank rules!

Favorite Disc: ZONE BITCHES

Postby Triflusal » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:55 am

who really wants to see the same pros battle it out for champion year after year? wouldn't you rather watch 880 rated golfers battle it out?
Triflusal
Effective absolute Communicator

Favorite Disc: whamo malibu

Postby zj1002 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:13 am

you people are funny. 99% of you would go play USDGC if you qualified. stop fucking crying about an event that in its former form you would have never qualified for.
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby TOURNEYPLAYER » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:25 am

I never expected to qualify. I am not of the elite dgers. I love watching the Superbowl but know my honkey ass aint making it there. you my friend are a fucktard.
TOURNEYPLAYER

Postby Triflusal » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:33 am

zj1002 wrote:you people are funny. 99% of you would go play USDGC if you qualified. stop fucking crying about an event that in its former form you would have never qualified for.

yep thats about right. Come on you people, you aren't pros and couldnt ever qualify for the real USDGC so you should quit being babies. since you aren't pros you are also in no position to judge. Why cant 880 rated golfers become champions? who needs all of the time spent practicing and trying to get "good". people should just get handed the title, because damn it all, everyone should be champ! it would just make everyone feel so good and warm and fuzzy
Triflusal
Effective absolute Communicator

Favorite Disc: whamo malibu

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:35 am

I would go play it if I qualified but it is still sad to see what was one of the elite tourneys turn into this. Qualifying for the USDGC used to mean something. Winning it was prestigious. Now it has lost its mystique and become something less.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:38 am

I remember when I first learned about the USDGC I thought it would be so cool to be good enough to qualify and play in the tourney. It was something I have been working towards since I learned about they tourney. Now, I think I'm more interested in playing in the Vibram or the PDGA championship (one of which will probably try to fill the void left by the old USDGC)
Frank Delicious

Postby Trey133 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:39 am

I think the USDGC will be much more normal next year.

Howard and Jonathan both said at the players banquet, that this year was a test. Basically, the higher ups wanted to figure out how to get more AMs involved and that was successful with the handicapped "performance edition"; however for those that made it out there, the crowd was pathetic. While this year we had the players buying merch and whatnot, I think sales probably declined because there weren't as many spectators buying the passes, buying the food, buying the discs, buying the rocs (especially buying the spectator rocs).

So next year I presume that we will see a tournament that has the Pros, a payout for pros, but also has the Ams somehow in order to bring more entrants. If they can figure out how to get the Pros and Ams on the same playing field out there, the crowd attending USDGC will skyrocket.
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Ghandi
Discmania Golf Discs: Reinvent your game.
Trey133
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby zj1002 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:09 am

Exactly Frank, just because USDGC lost some luster doesn't mean other tournaments won't step up and fill the void. Just about every sport goes through changes in the top tier tournaments. We play a sport that is still trying to define itself. It sucks USDGC doesn't hold that elite status anymore, and I had hoped to one day qualify myself. Just like Frank said, I would honestly prefer to get a spot in Vibram now over any other tournament.

Triflusal: I can guarantee you 90% of the people that played in USDGC this year trained their butts off harder than ever before. This sport is evolving. You can sit on a forum and cry about it, or you can go out there and volunteer(or practice) to make it better. Look at what is happening with the Collegiate Disc Golf circuit. It is producing some incredible talent and competition. People like Pete May(who created NCDGC) are creating events that push the sport in every direction. There are 13 qualifier events for NCDGC this year, which is more than double what existed last year. The idea of collegiate disc golf was a huge gamble, and 5 years into it there at least 55 active collegiate teams around the country. The sport is growing, so do your part or shut up.
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:17 am

The sport is growing, so do your part or shut up

Saying stuff like that doesn't help anything.
Frank Delicious

Postby TOURNEYPLAYER » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:18 am

I think it is zj that needs to shut up.
TOURNEYPLAYER

Postby zj1002 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:21 am

Frank Delicious wrote:
The sport is growing, so do your part

how bout that?
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby veganray » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:28 am

The sport is sharting, so put up or grow your do
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby money 21 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:39 am

zj1002 wrote:you people are funny. 99% of you would go play USDGC if you qualified. stop fucking crying about an event that in its former form you would have never qualified for.

damn right i would play if i qualied. I don't mind playing handie capped rounds or events, as long as every one is up on the rules at the start i think they are great. I played ball golf for years and had a handie cap of 19. That put me at the bottom of the a teir player. This ment i had to play against the top players at the club. The only time i had a chance to win was against the top player were in the handie capped rounds.

With that said I just wish it wasn't this event that took on the format.

p.s. I hate when a guy says hey all give you 4 strokes and then bitches when you beat him because he didn't cover the spread.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion