Research is rampant, DGR is relevant.

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Research is rampant, DGR is relevant.

Postby ziggy » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:56 pm

Due to getting another Master's degree and working 40-60h a week, I'm about done for the season. However, still got the itch for field tossing and playing with new molds. Got a little project for y'all.

Ground rules:
1) Discs have to be discraft or DGA. No other companies.
2) no OOP's
3) most importantly have fun

I'm looking to replace my entire bag with a new set of circumstances for the off-season.

I currently throw the following

Headwind distance: Sparkle Hurricane
Distance: Proline Hurricane
Workhorse driver: Sparkle Rogue
Anhyzer: Proline Trotter Rogue
Fairway: 3 Z-Talons (newer, semi, beat to snot)
Midrange: 3 Proline Squalls in various stages of wear
Putter: 5 D challengers in various stages of wear

What recommendations have ye?
ziggy
Fairway Surgeon

Re: Research is rampant, DGR is relevant.

Postby JHern » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:30 pm

Yeah, DGR is definitely relevant. You'll find graduate level discussion of disc golf at DGR. Blake sets a great standard.

Headwind distance: Sparkle Hurricane is great, maybe try a Force if you want to try and get more glide from flex shots or wind shots, or see if they give you more glide. Been watching Nate Doss carve up the course with his green Z Force. Ridiculous.

Distance & Work-horse driver: Beat Surge or Surge SS...depending on how much turn you want. Great discs all around. Again, the Z work quite well, so you can live long with them, and truly prosper. It's analagous to the Innova Wraith.

Fairway and Midrange: Dude, pick up a friggin Z Buzzz...(every Innova-sponsored player wishes they could have these in their bag!) and an ESP Cyclone (I prefer the flat to the domey, because they are more over-stable). You need these, and maybe a Predator, too, for over-stable duty at shorter ranges.

Putter: You're stuck with Discraft and DGA, they don't make any great stable or over-stable putters, this is their weakest link. And the Challenger is extremely variable from one run to the next (which is why I gave up on it). Titanic is an OK under-stable putter, but nothing to write home to Mom about. Gotta go with aviar, MVP Ion, or Gateway Wizard if you want great driving putters. Sorry.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Steve » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:21 am

170 Z Force
166 ESP Avenger
172 X XL
172 ESP Cyclone
177 Z Glow Buzzz
177 ESP Comet
177 X Comet
5 D Challengers (stupid move to change)
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Hyzerline49 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:23 pm

Id say:
forces and hurricanes for distance
Preds, avengers, and rogues for workhorse drivers
talons and xl's for fairways
wasp, buzzz, comet combo
Titanics and magnets for approach/putting
Forces - Orcs - Banshees - Eagles - Wasps - Rocs - Zones - Wizards
Hyzerline49
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Ching Roc

Postby bucknuts » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:53 pm

Hey.

I am pretty sure that you had tried/thrown aftershocks. I am curious about SP Aftershock myself.

Drivers- mentioned above
Mid ranges- aftershocks
putters- no change needed unless a magnet?
--go out and play disc

Challengers, Buzzes, Eagles, Firebird, and OLFs
bucknuts
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Buzz

Postby ziggy » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:00 pm

So far.. Got me curious on comet, riptide, and force. Will nee to revisit comets+riptide. Never thrown a force. Recall holding one and felt the grip was too large for me. It's been awhile..

I had the aftershocks for awhile. The Squalls made me a better man. Quit aftershocks and the buzzzes to a degree.
I still toss a buzzz every now and then. Probably the most stocked disc I have! The squall holds a line better and gets the distance. The buzz is slower. Kind of a tweener between my squalls and challengers. Would prefer to power down on a squall than trying to power the buzzz.

Other thoughts?
ziggy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:18 am

ziggy wrote:So far.. Got me curious on comet, riptide, and force. Will nee to revisit comets+riptide. Never thrown a force. Recall holding one and felt the grip was too large for me. It's been awhile..

I had the aftershocks for awhile. The Squalls made me a better man. Quit aftershocks and the buzzzes to a degree.
I still toss a buzzz every now and then. Probably the most stocked disc I have! The squall holds a line better and gets the distance. The buzz is slower. Kind of a tweener between my squalls and challengers. Would prefer to power down on a squall than trying to power the buzzz.

Other thoughts?

Nothing except after a grip change and trying to learn to power down better with eyes on the target all the time i must give the Squalls and the closest competition Sabre a new test, because they were too understable, when ripped and especially in the wind. With a cleaner releasing grip i need to test these, because the wind is up today. Thanks for reminding me of the existence and thus the need to test these again :-D
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Hyzerline49 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:32 am

the force and hurricane have the same size rim, so i think that it would be a great compliment to your hurricanes. the comet would work great with your squalls, as it can be powered down on, and be good for dead straight and turnover shots.
Forces - Orcs - Banshees - Eagles - Wasps - Rocs - Zones - Wizards
Hyzerline49
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Ching Roc

Postby JR » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:52 am

Windy day made initial hyzer addition needed for headwinds and in rear winds both SP and Proline Squalls suffered from the same distance additions with wind floating to way past normal than Buzzzes. A couple of times to 360' with average being closer to 320' usually varying between 300' in the short end and topping out at 330'. In calm conditions these are nice discs, but wind does kick these about some. With the occasional hard flips in gusts and wind direction changes in mid flight. Usual things in the cauldron like soccer field i threw at. Flat release and about 10' apexes are nice. I think the good golfable D range in apex height window is more forgiving than with the Buzzz. Buzzz changes distance fairly dramatically for every feet of deviation from ideal height and the faster and glidier Squall has from seat of the pants feel 50-100% higher apex window for plannable D at full power.

With pinkyless stack fork grip and harder and a little earlier pinch with two finger grip i got straighter and less flipping flights than before to very nice straight flights. Goody! I also threw a Z Storm and it slows down faster and is less HSS by a little and fades the same and is shorter. Still a very straight disc just about 10-15' shorter on average.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:02 pm

I'm thinking if I had to make a DC/DGA bag it would be

Distance: Surge/Nuke/Force

The surge is a great controllable distance driver, the nuke in either lighter Z or a heavy X is a bomb tailwind driver and the force lets you throw some great power shots into headwinds

Workhorse drivers: Tsunami/Pred/XL

The Pred is pretty much the workhorse headwind/overstable driver of DC's lineup. The Tsunami in proline plastic is a great workable driver and the XL does low power and annys well.

Mids: Aftershock/Comet

I messed with this combo for awhile and it is a great combo but I found it was hard to find consistent aftershocks and buying them sight unseen was not good and no one around here carried them so I dropped them for rocs.

Putters: Zone/Magnet

ESP zone for over stable duties, D zone for stable drives and magnets for straight and understable stuff.

runner up discs that are fun to throw but don't really excel:

Drone
Nuke OS (overhands only)
Buzzz SS
Rattler
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Jerrod » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:19 pm

Interesting thing I learned about Magnets and Titanics the other weekend at our DGA sponsored tournament. Everyone has always said that the Titanic and the Magnet are the same mold just in different plastics. The Titanic even has Magnet stamped on it. What I learned though is that the Titanic actually has an additional spacer placed in the mold which leads to a slightly taller disc. From my understanding this is how Discmania makes the P2 more stable without the bead so I am guessing that the Titanic should be more stable than the Magnet. My Titanics I got that weekend are too new and a different plastic from my Magnets to compare but they do make the Titanic in D now so a comparison would be interesting. The difference in height is greater between the P1 and the P2 so maybe there is a notable difference in flight.
Coyote Point Local
Jerrod
Tree Magnet

Postby jubuttib » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:33 pm

The P2 also has the bulkier Aviar-X top, which contributes to the stability.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby craftsman » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:38 pm

I wish i had something to add to this thread instead of it causing intrigue about squalls.
I have two but they have the dga logo in the center. I feel they may be quite different- just a hunch.

I will offer my bag but yours is basiclly a streamlined version.

5 challengers- 3 D, a hard x, & old cryz
2 comets- z&esp
2-3 wasps- 2/3 esp & 1 meaty z
2 xls - flippy x and '97 voight
3 avengers - esp & new/beat x
2 talons - opaque z new/beat
tsumani- freak stable sparkle
2 surges - z & esp
sparkle rogue (in testing)
Just traded my hurricane but ill grab another, so fr esp force for now.

I assume the idea is to get rid of the talon, the only options would be tracker or avenger, but ofcourse not quite the same. A flat z'ish esp cyclone would be my pick for pick one fw bag.
Built around the cyclone, your squall may run a lil long.

So, challenger/aftershock/cyclone/tsunami/rogue/hurricane
craftsman
Noob

Favorite Disc: challenger

Postby BrotherDave » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:29 pm

I never felt like Squalls were midranges to me, they feel/look more like slow drivers IMO.

Anyway, my DC/DGA bag would probably be:

Headwind: Z Pred,
Distance: ESP Surge or maybe Rogue
Anny: Beat Surge or Rogue
Fairway: Avenger, ESP Cyclone, and Z XL
Midrange: ESP and D Zone (feels more like a Buzzz than a Wasp), Buzzz, Meteor.
Putter: Challenger for drives, APX/Reef for putts.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby money 21 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:17 pm

change the talons 2 a z traker, z xs and a x xs. and add a zone and you have a damn fine bag.
ringer, aero, breaker, glide, sabre, valk, avenger, flick, helios, teedevil, halo
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Next

Return to General Discussion