Interesting press release

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Interesting press release

Postby veganray » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:34 pm

ROMULUS, MICH. (Oct. 11, 10:10 a.m. ET)

Flying objects are boosting sales at materials firm Alliance Polymers & Services LLC.

Sales of thermoplastic polyurethanes into flying discs made by Discraft Inc. are on track to be up 20 percent this year for Alliance, a materials distributor based in Romulus. The discs are used in Ultimate, a sport played by almost 5 million people in the U.S.

In Ultimate, two seven-player teams compete on a 70-yard field. Points are scored by catching a pass in the opponents’ end zone. The U.S. now is home to 3,000 Ultimate fields and the sport’s governing body — USA Ultimate — has 30,000 members. The game is played in more than 42 countries.

Alliance has worked with Wixom, Mich.-based Discraft since Alliance opened its doors in 2009. Alliance co-founders Stephane Morin and Roger Huarng each also worked with Discraft while they worked at BASF Corp.

Ultimate competitions across the globe are giving a boost to Discraft's TPU flying discs. (Discraft Inc. photo)
“Sports sales are growing,” Huarng said in a recent phone interview. “They don’t seem to be affected by the recession.”
Alliance provides Discraft with special blends of material based on BASF’s Elastollan-brand TPU. Discraft manufactures millions of the discs each year, including its Ultra-Star 175, which is the only flying disc used in sanctioned tournament play.

Discraft officials chose TPU for the flying disc application because of the material’s toughness, grip characteristics and flexibility in all types of weather. TPU also provides consistent weight distribution when the discs are molded. The discs can be hot-stamped with company or team logos for competitions or promotions. Discraft also makes discs used in Disc Golf.

Another recent sports-related application for Alliance is a TPU strip used in the pockets of lacrosse sticks. “We’re trying to balance our portfolio,” Huarng said of the sports work.

Sales for 2011 are on track to be up 4-6 percent at Alliance, which also distributes thermoplastic elastomers for Polymax Elastomer Technology Co. Ltd. of Nantong, China. Alliance’s sales into the automotive market are up 7-8 percent this year, Morin said, as that sector continues to rebound.

“There have been some peaks and valleys, but overall automotive has been steady for us,” he added.

Sales for 2012 are expected to exceed this year’s 4-6 percent mark. Morin also said that Alliance has benefited this year from its turnaround time of two or three days.

Customers “normally would give us more lead time,” he explained. “But now they’re being cautious and careful in getting only the material the need. We’re promoting our ability to supply them with material when they need it.”

Earlier this year, Alliance added a pair of twin-screw compounding lines in Romulus. The investment of almost $1 million was made after the firm received numerous requests for more specialized grades of TPU and TPE.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Re: Interesting press release

Postby Trey133 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:29 pm

Is it safe to assume that discraft doesn't use Alliance Polymers & Services to supply plastic for their golf discs?

I wonder what the ratio for Discraft is on Ultimate discs vs. Disc Golf discs.
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Ghandi
Discmania Golf Discs: Reinvent your game.
Trey133
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby Leopard » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:34 pm

so THAT's the secret of their godlike consistency!
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby Triflusal » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:48 pm

Leopard wrote:so THAT's the secret of their godlike consistency!

i've never felt two ultrastars that feel the same
Triflusal
Effective absolute Communicator

Favorite Disc: whamo malibu

Postby Leopard » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:06 pm

Triflusal wrote:

for real. i've only handled thousands and thousands of discraft discs, the last thing i'd call discraft is "consistent". that marketing point has always baffled the living fuck out of me.

"i can trust that if i buy another Model-X it's gonna feel and fly just like my last Model-X, and i love how the pinks fly like this, and the blues fly like that, and the greens are the best, and the reds are extra different, but most of all i love the consistency."

it's not awful, it's just 0% different than every other company. quit frontin' and keep injecting plastic. DC marketing is the funniest shit in disc golf.... so hard, so angsty, so serious... last time i saw Doss he didn't pop outta the shadows in a black ski mask and make animal noises.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Postby swel304 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:13 am

I think the better flashing removal and cleaner injection nipple area (or whatever you call that) makes them look more consistent to the average player (who doesnt handle 1000's of discs a year). If it were possible to create 100% perfectly identical discs at a price point we would be willing to pay I am sure one of these companies would do that.

I will say that over the last 6 years or so that I have been picking up elite x buzzz's for my bag they all seem nearly identical to me even down to the variations in color (i.e. my reds from 2007 fly just like the reds I got at a tourney last month). z/esp/cryz/flx however never seem to be the same to me. I really don't throw much DC other than the buzzz so this is just my experience with them.
Wizard-Buzz-PolarisLS-Valkyrie-Wraith-BlizzKatana

http://www.XTREMEairbrush.com
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby Leopard » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:20 am

Discraft: Smooth like jailbait
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Postby juju » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:25 am

Trey133 wrote:I wonder what the ratio for Discraft is on Ultimate discs vs. Disc Golf discs.

I'd say about 10:1, maybe more
juju
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: First Run Buzzz

Postby Dbuntu » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:28 pm

juju wrote:
Trey133 wrote:I wonder what the ratio for Discraft is on Ultimate discs vs. Disc Golf discs.

I'd say about 10:1, maybe more

Easily. I've always had the impression that Disc Golf was sort of a side business for DC. They've already got a lot of the tools and experience why not get their feet wet in a crossover sport? They have to figure any Ultimate players will look to Discrast as their first pick on golf discs because it's familiar. I know I did and DC is still the core of my bag.
As for consistency of Ultrastars, in my experience the new ones all feel the same. Brand new out of the plastic they are as identical as you could reasonably expect them to be. Give them all 50ish games and they are all over the place with slickness and grip. I would imagine it has something to do with oils from a lot of different hands touching them, lots of sweat getting on them, and whatever weather conditions they go through. Different colors or custom stamped ones will all feel the same, but will be distinctly different than the standard white ones.
It is a poor carpenter who blames his tools
Dbuntu
Noob

Favorite Disc: All of them

Postby keltik » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:55 pm

Discraft is buying plastic from Romulans??? I guess that's where the Comet gets it's power from. lulz
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby new013 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:57 pm

so buy stock in this company?
"F*ck... here comes that guy New013."
new013
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TL

Postby Leopard » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:09 pm

ultrastars do sell like crazy, and i'd imagine it's at least 1:1 or 2:1 custom stamped to stock/retail for ultrastars.

HOWEVER even the biggest ultimate freaks have what, 20 to 50 lids? i could see a scenario where they have more player-buyers in Ultimate than Golf, but actually sell more golf discs.

soft grass killin' logic like a tree hit.. in other words.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Postby curt » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:46 pm

ultrastars do sell like crazy, and i'd imagine it's at least 1:1 or 2:1 custom stamped to stock/retail for ultrastars.

I bet it is even higher than this. I don't see many serious ultimate players with stock-stamped discs. Most people buy new ones for tournaments and/or leagues. (also, i usually find it much easier to actually find a custom stamped one when I'm looking to buy one).
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby JHern » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:22 pm

Leopard wrote:
Triflusal wrote:

for real. i've only handled thousands and thousands of discraft discs, the last thing i'd call discraft is "consistent". that marketing point has always baffled the living fuck out of me....

Yeah, it's a total load of crap. They're not consistent, and if you want to find another disc "like that one you had before" it is going to take a lot of work. For example, I thought I had found a dream disc in the ESP Cyclone, but now all I can find are domey, very sensitive to release errors, and not at all over-stable...totally unlike the ones they made before (that I fell in love with). Then I found the same thing with the Stalker, only recently did I find another Z-Stalker that was anything like the first run...I snagged it up as fast as I could! The Z Buzzz is another one, probably their best golf disc, but tons of variations between one run and another, ranging from over-stable, to stable, to turn-over.

To be consistent means using the exact same plastic again and again, and molding it the same exact way again and again. They just don't have the time to do it, and probably don't think people would pay more for real consistency. Or better yet, just lie about being consistent, repeat it often enough, and it doesn't cost a dime or take an ounce more effort (just a loss of credibility, but who cares about that any more?).
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Dbuntu » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:44 pm

curt wrote:

I bet it is even higher than this. I don't see many serious ultimate players with stock-stamped discs. Most people buy new ones for tournaments and/or leagues. (also, i usually find it much easier to actually find a custom stamped one when I'm looking to buy one).

Too true. I am one of those guys who has 20-50 discs (Ultrastars). I've been passing them out to friends to try and lighten the stack up, but not one of them has the standard star logo on top. I buy some plastic from every tourney I go to and every league I play in.
It is a poor carpenter who blames his tools
Dbuntu
Noob

Favorite Disc: All of them

Next

Return to General Discussion