Aaron Rodgers, Quarterback and Disc Golfer?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Aaron Rodgers, Quarterback and Disc Golfer?

Postby himynameismatt » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:56 pm

For those of you who don't know Aaron Rodger's is Quarterback of the Green Bay Packers, and will surely be this year's NFL MVP, here's a clip I found from his weekly radio show where he mentions that he plays disc golf. He's from Chico, CA and played his college ball at Cal. Nor Cal has some great courses so I'm not surprised. With an arm like his I bet he crushes.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6842076/Tuesdays_with_Aaron_12_20_11-discgolf.mp3

He sounds like he knows a thing or two and not just your weekend hucker, well up until the point where he calls it frolf.
Wizard - Buzzz - Predator - TD - PD - Destroyer
himynameismatt
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard/Buzzz/PD

Re: Aaron Rodgers, Quarterback and Disc Golfer?

Postby JHern » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:36 pm

This isn't surprising. Most people in NorCal have heard of, or played, disc golf at some time or another.

himynameismatt wrote:...up until the point where he calls it frolf.

I don't think he was being serious when he said that...
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby rusch_bag » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:45 am

I have never seen him personally, but he has bought discs from the local PIAS before according to the store owner. The owner didn't think to get his autograph on a football or a disc though.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby pappabear » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:56 pm

The pdga needs this link on their homepage stat
Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-lagunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness" So I got that goin for me, which is nice
pappabear
Noob

Favorite Disc: challenger

Postby discglfr » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:15 pm

It is pretty exciting that Aaron mentioned this. A few years back I saw Mark Tauscher at an event and had him sign some of my Lifetime Disc Sports discs vs something football related. He said it was cool because he plays. Naturally I gave him one of the discs to keep. Shortly after that I drew up some pretty elaborate plans for a charity event involving the Packers. I didn't follow through on it.

This time is different. I have already contacted the radio station as well as the Packer PR person with regards to this charity event idea that I have. Naturally I'll keep everyone posted of the progress. We all think it would be great to see someone like Aaron attach himself to disc golf but we also have to be realistic about the SuperBowl MVP being pulled in a million directions for every possible thing under the sun. Again, I'll keep everyone abreast of the progress.

Terry "The Disc Golf Guy" Miller
discglfr
Noob

Postby pappabear » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:18 pm

Thanks terry,
Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-lagunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness" So I got that goin for me, which is nice
pappabear
Noob

Favorite Disc: challenger

Postby Roy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:06 pm

That's so awesome. I wonder what local course he played? Gringon maybe? What's up around green bay?

I got Barry Alvarez to sign a disc of mine. He said "What is this, a frisbee?" So at least he knew what it was. :lol:
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby JR » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:14 pm

That is awesome Terry, i hope it pans out. Also thanks for everything you do for disc golf!
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby havasuDG » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:30 pm

His hometown is Chico in Northern CA, and they have a new-ish pretty sweet course, and even a child-centric youth course. (I actually was a freshman football player at the same school when he was a junior on Varsity). It would be awesome to see him get involved in any capacity in the sport that could bring us to light.
havasuDG
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Teebird

Return to General Discussion