can someone tell what a tweener is?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: can someone tell what a tweener is?

Postby Pwingles » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:05 pm

I use the term to describe a disc that has an odd distance requirement or speed requirement.
For example i often have a gazelle in my bag for shots my roc wont reach and my pd will be too long for. Theres like a 40 ft cushion that it gets thrown on distance wise. It may have other uses but for this example the tweener label can be used to describe the distance or the disc
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby Sean40474 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:02 pm

BrotherDave wrote:I'm guessing b/c I don't know what context you're taking it from that it's a disc that floats b/w two general categories. Like the Impact that is kind of mid-range and driver-ish.

This is what I've known it to be since I've started playing.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby JHern » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:26 am

Roc Lover wrote:I use the term to describe a disc that has an odd distance requirement or speed requirement.
For example i often have a gazelle in my bag for shots my roc wont reach and my pd will be too long for. Theres like a 40 ft cushion that it gets thrown on distance wise. It may have other uses but for this example the tweener label can be used to describe the distance or the disc

This isn't called a "tweener," rather it is called a "fairway driver" and it is indeed an important slot in the bag. Your Roc is a mid-range disc, and your PD is a distance driver. Gazelle, Stingray, Cobra, Stratus, Cyclone, Element, Stalker, Leopard, etc., are all properly called fairway drivers. Besides the putter, I think this is one of the most important discs in your bag. When I can only take 2 discs to a course, I take a fairway driver (Cyclone) and a putter. I can't say enough about it.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Pwingles » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:08 am

My pd and fb are my fw's lol. But thank you for the explanation. I use my roc/comet/drone for most everything 350 and under assuming i have proper ceiling, wind is t outragious and that the line doesnt call for something else. Adds up to about 80 pct of the time. As i said above i use the gazelle for a very specific role because of how slow and workable it is, it fits "between" my roc and pd
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jubuttib » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:58 am

For me a good example of a tweener disc would be the Zone. It's seriously fast for a putter, but not quite a mid either. Hornet is another one, it's faster than most mids and the flight characteristics remind me more of a driver than a mid.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Pwingles » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:46 am

Zone is a perfect example of a manufactured tweener imo. Anotherr good one i believe is the whippet.
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion